Odyssey Questions, Musings, and Trip Reports

JaneBP

Here are a few photos from the first day or so of the Odyssey´s maiden voyage. A couple more will follow as I have reached the site´s max.

Please reply with any questions you may have!

Regards

23946315_OdysseyMaiden01.jpg.2f964639ef219752da148091379675cc.jpg

967374535_OdysseyMaiden02.jpg.477d6be2063535c774eefd1d9ce788aa.jpg

1398457974_OdysseyMaiden03.jpg.e2277b82343a4cf8f4936b373fc311a9.jpg

235422010_OdysseyMaiden04.jpg.7b61504fc067334f808c5a06b149762a.jpg

1342954353_OdysseyMaiden05.jpg.901d09b07a714a1a49f40d6c0088fdcb.jpg

One thing that has interested me is that no one has mentioned any familiar crew onboard. One of the special things is seeing those we know from other cruises. I hope there were some! Of course, they might be on vacation by December, that's always a risk.

Thank you so much, Markham. You are our Jimmy Olsen!

JaneBP,

Yes, there were many crew whom I knew from the Spirit and Pride and also many new staff. The older-timers and I talked about when we last saw each other and on several occasions what their plans might include after this particular Odyssey contract. They do hope and intend to return to Odyssey in large part although we know some of the senior staff such as the Cruise Director are expected to bring out the Sojourn in June, 2010.

I guess I could give the names of a couple of dozen people on board who I expect to see again on the transatlantic and the world cruise but that might be excessive. (I might also name some who I just believe I have known for longer and who might be new to Seabourn.) I expect that there will be rotations as well from Odyssey to the sisters and then to Sojourn and back.

Whether you recognize old faces or develop new relationships during your first Odyssey voyage you will be delighted with the level of service! Maybe this ship makes it easier for the crew to deliver the quality?

Regards

Jane,

The spa prices are still only available on request - I thought they might be on the TV but no!

There were lots and lots of familiar faces on board. Starting off at the top, Hot Man was Guenter, Karl and Kevin were the Maitre d's, Guillaume looking after Room Service Felipe (looking after restaurant 2) Mikaela (sp?), Bozie, Paul, Louis, Mikael, Asst M d's, Liviu, Richard, Daniel, Rick (who is in Seabourn Square) plus a few others whom I'm sure I've forgotten. Oliver in overall charge of the Bars and Stefanie was Bar Manager. These were all familiar to us. Jo Poelmans was another Assistant Maitre d' and he will shortly be taking over as Maitre d' on the Spirit. His wfe Barbara was also there. Jennifer Kok and Carol Frey as well. Some of these however will be leaving the Odyssey shortly. Pierre and Annenike (sp?) were on Seabourn Square. As you can see lots of familiar faces. Karl will be moving on soon and Kevin will be moving from the Colonnade to the main Dining Room. Obviously Kevin's wife Leona was also on board.

JA and Shelah,

Thanks for your postings -- along with Markham's posting and pics I think I am getting a pretty good feel for the Odyssey. She certainly is a beautiful ship in an understated manner -- certainly to my taste. Reminds me of some of my favorite boutique hotels -- clean lines with warm materials. And maybe I am weakening a little -- I appreciate the honesty about less intimacy and not getting to meet all of your fellow passengers -- that is something you would naturally expect. And perhaps I could accept that -- what I could not accept would be a lesser level of service.Did most of the crew know you by name after a few days?

Chairsin,

We didn't feel the level of service had diminished at all and we felt that practically all of the crew called us by name but of course we knew many of them from previous cruises.

John,

They are still doing the wine packages (Opus One still available!). They also have some new ones. Hope you have better luck than us! I preordered Larry a gold package through Southampton and it never went through!! (Worth looking at that option though!) Larry says he's sure you will get enough to satisfy your extravagant tastes!!

Shelagh

Thanks so much for all the colorful details. I agree with Chairsin that most of us reading them have a pretty good idea of what to expect, although it will still be surprising since I believe photos cannot do it justice.

I hope others will also report on their experiences, it's such fun to live vicariously through other voyages.

Chairsin,

We didn't feel the level of service had diminished at all and we felt that practically all of the crew called us by name but of course we knew many of them from previous cruises.

John,

They are still doing the wine packages (Opus One still available!). They also have some new ones. Hope you have better luck than us! I preordered Larry a gold package through Southampton and it never went through!! (Worth looking at that option though!) Larry says he's sure you will get enough to satisfy your extravagant tastes!!

Shelagh

Shelagh,

is it a better price if ordered form the uk?

Having spent a day in Istanbul post cruise I have just returned home and actually already unpacked. Clothes sorted for the laundry and cleaners I now feel I can devote a bit of time to my impressions of the maiden voyage. Many have already posted their feelings and mostly I agree with what has been said. The Odyssey is truly a spectacular vessel that has no equal at this moment. She is a unique combination imo of a ship and a yacht. By that I mean in size and layout she resembles a ship more than we are used to on the triplets. That is inevitable when you triple the tonnage and more than double the passenger capacity. However, she is a yacht in the ways we faithful Seabournites have come to expect. Because of the clever design of her public rooms and outdoor spaces there is always a place to be alone, to not feel crowded, to sit and read or watch the sea. If you want company there are ample opportunities to find your fellow passengers and engage with them.

What impressed me most is that with the sole exception of the first three nights in the restaurant the service is already impeccable. This is no mean feat on a brand new ship. The crew is completely dedicated, always eager to go the extra mile and smile while they are doing it. Recognizing so many familiar faces among the staff is a bonus and the special relationship between them and the passengers has not changed. And all this after these people spent days and days hardly sleeping as they loaded and cleaned the ship for our arrival.

Others have already spoken about the food and the raves are completely deserved. The quality of the ingredients, the beauty of the presentation, the correctness of the service all combine to make each meal memorable. One thing that jumped out at me was the vast improvement of the pastries on board. The displays in Seabourn Square rival those at a Parisian patisserie. Only the gelato array to the side might force your eyes away. It was a treat to walk into the Colonnade every day at lunch time and explore the many options so artfully prepared. Alain, the chef there, is at the top of his game. And dinner at the Patio Grill is not to be missed. It is the perfect alternative when one feels a need to get away from "fancy."

It has been a couple of days since I disembarked, enough time to get a small bit of perspective. The main thing that keeps replaying itself in my mind about the Odyssey is the beauty of the design and decor. A certain chair here, a chandelier there, a piece of art or the sheer curtains in some of the rooms are all small details by themselves but put together they make up a feast for the eyes. I think Seabourn really hit a home run here.

I also think they have made a quantum leap forward with entertainment. Personally, I was never a fan of the CD's shows on the triplets but here there is a truly professional quartet of performers with West End roots who perform in well produced shows. The duo in the club does not have the deafening electronic accompaniment which drowns out conversation. I do think the CD staff needs to figure out exactly what its duties are and how to accomplish them with a bit more polish.

Were there things that could be improved? Of course! It was a maiden voyage, after all, and no one should embark on one expecting perfection. A special celebration was not handled as well as I had hoped but that was the second night in the restaurant and they were still a bit overwhelmed. Easy to forgive! I'm sure that with each passing cruise things will only get better. But even so, for now the Odyssey stands alone in the luxury market.

Hi all! Jane, The photos do not do it justice. One does need to see the scale of her to appreciate the total picture. The lectures were given in the grand salon. As you know Roy Willis was on this cruise, he is such a terrific guy. I am wondering if anyone mentioned that there were fireworks immediately following the naming ceremony. Also, did anyone give a report on the evening event out in Athens which was outstanding? I am still reliving the events of the past weeks in my mind, feel so lucky to have been part of it. We will be on the Pride in Sept., Rivers of Western Europe -a cruise whichI love....but I am wondering if we will feel let down after sailing on the Odyssey:confused:. Still jet lagged and working hard with laundry, ironing, mail, reality.....ugh! J.A.:):):)

I look forward to that Marja - you will love the ship!

Shelagh

Hi Shelagh!

Sorry, I missed quite a few posts here..... that's why I asked you for a review on CC in a personal email!

Thanks for the above, but the idea was originally to save me a chair for the get together of the future world cruisers while on the Maiden voyage - as a joke!

Have a nice weekend and thanks everybody for posting!

Marja

Hi Shelagh!

Sorry, I missed quite a few posts here..... that's why I asked you for a review on CC in a personal email!

Thanks for the above, but the idea was originally to save me a chair for the get together of the future world cruisers while on the Maiden voyage - as a joke!

Have a nice weekend and thanks everybody for posting!

Marja

Sorry I missed the joke. The get together was only for those doing the whole World Cruise! Have sent you an email.

Shelagh

Can't tell you about the pools or the jacuzzis but there are two launderettes with two washing machines and dryers and two ironing boards and irons in each. Didn't use the machines but they looked pretty much the same as the ones on the sisters but the ironing boards and irons are much better positioned which makes ironing a lot easier and there is much more room in the laundry rooms in general.

Archived