Vancouver Art Gallery - Dutch Masters exhibit

lawahoo2001

Has anyone visited the Vancouver Art Gallery? We're staying at the Pan Pacific at the tail end of our cruise, and the package we booked with them includes two tickets to see a Dutch Masters exhibit (Rembrandt Vermeer, etc.). I've been to Vancouver twice before and have seen all the usual sites, so I thought it might me nice to do something different (at least for a few hours), especially since my husband and I love art. Has anyone been to this art museum or to the exhibit? For context, my husband and I have been to all the great museums in Paris, London, Amsterdam, NY, Chicago, and Washington. Just wondering whether this is worth our time...

:oGo for sure!

I havent gone yet but i have friends that have and are raving about the exhibit (its one of the better exhibits at the gallery this year! Also if its a nice day venture to the patio and have a bevie while watching all the Vancourites go by!

Lawahoo2001, I haven't seen the exhibit yet, but plan to July 30, the day I arrive in Vancouver. My background (before getting a career :rolleyes:) was in fine arts, and I've also "been there, seen that". Since you already have the tickets, it would be a shame not to use them. (I'm also at the Pan, solo, but saw that package when I booked.)

The exhibit title, "Vermeer, Rembrandt, and the Golden Age of Dutch Art" is a bit misleading as far as giving Vermeer top billing. There is only one Vermeer in the exhibit, and it is displayed on its own in the last gallery - Love Letter.

On the other hand, the paintings/drawing/decorative arts (128 items total) are on loan from the Rijksmuseum, which should give you a hint on the excellence of the collection. The intention is to evoke all aspects of this unique period: religious, social, economic, political.

If you Google, you'll find reviews/background pieces like these:

http://rippleeffects.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/vermeer-in-vancouver-noticing-the-obvious/

http://www.straight.com/article-220002/vermeer-rembrandt-and-golden-age-dutch-art-worthy-summer-blockbuster

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090519.wbartels0520/BNStory/Entertainment/home/

We are staying in Vancouver after our cruise just to see this exhibit. The Vancouver Art Gallery is lovely and I enjoyed the Emily Carr collection the last time I was there. She was quite a character and is one of Canada's favorite artists.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

aloha, paula

Thanks for the links to the reviews. You know what? I think I saw most of those paintings at the Rjiksmuseum in Amsterdam. The Vermeer painting is definitely the best! We may still go just so the tickets don't go to waste (and so that I can see the paintin again). Only reason why we got this package through Pan was the rates went down on my original reservation, so I rebooked. This is actually the second time the rate went down. You have to actively monitor on their website. Anyway, the package includes the art museum tickets, breakfast, Dutch cookies, and tulips in our room. Not bad!

Archived