Breakfast/Lunch at Cagney's

pugaddict

You don't need to, but you may want to as the service is exemplary.

We planned to tip the last morning, though, and found the regular morning employees were not there - so not sure what I'd do next time! (We seldom used it for lunch.)

I'm looking forward to other responses!

I have heard some leave $5 each meal, while others tip at the end. Some do not tip any and that is perfectly acceptable. Here's my experience: suite perk in Cagney's (or Il Adagio on the Sun) was the perfect combination of traditional and freestyle. You get to eat when you want to (within a time window) but have the personalized service you get from the same people knowing your likes and dislikes. Last time I had learned several of my favorites worked in Pacific Heights in the evening. So I dined there on the last night and had envelopes with notes and tips. Don't know if this is the ideal or not. Next time I think I will tip as I go and see which I prefer.

We chose to tip everywhere, except Market Cafe.

For breakfast at Cagney's, we did $5-10 depending on how many were in our group (6 of us traveled together.) We only ate lunch there on embarkation day; as I recall we tipped $20 for 6 of us.

For dinner, in all of the specialty restaurants, it was usually around $20, unless we had a couple (or more) bottles of wine, then we bumped it up a bit.

But this was just our personal choice - we never, ever felt as if the staff "expected" the tip; each of them certainly expressed very sincere gratutide when it was received.

The wait staff in the specialty restaurants participate in the DSC pool (unlike the concierge and butlers, who do not), and in fact a certain percentage of the staff rotates among the MDRs and specialties...so there is no obligation to tip, but if you thought the service was exceptional, feel free to tip.

We were on the Dawn and we tipped the next to last day. We were lgad they did because the regular team was not there there the last morning and we didn't want to miss them.

We had outstanding service for breakfast and lunch. The best of the team was Robert. He was exceptional and made our cruise extra special!!!

Because the service was so good in Cagneys on the Dawn, I tipped over and above the DSC. I ended up going to the pursers desk and had tips designated to all the wait staff that I wanted to tip. I had to fill out a tip slip and the person at the desk helped me with last names to make sure I had the right people, and it was put on my account. No mussing with cash, envelopes and trying to track people down. No problem!

On our second to last morning aboard the Pearl in May, we gave the Maitre d' in Cagney's (Grace, you and your crew are awesome!!!) an envelope and asked her to share it among her "crew". The service was impeccable. We also filled out STYLE cards for each individual.

Because the service was so good in Cagneys on the Dawn, I tipped over and above the DSC. I ended up going to the pursers desk and had tips designated to all the wait staff that I wanted to tip. I had to fill out a tip slip and the person at the desk helped me with last names to make sure I had the right people, and it was put on my account. No mussing with cash, envelopes and trying to track people down. No problem!

We have always left cash in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, but I never thought to do it this way. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

We tipped a small amount after each meal ($5+). The exact amount depended upon how many of us (1 or 2), how long we were there/how many courses, etc. Also, there were two members of the Cagney's waitstaff who had really provided exemplary service during several meals, so we gave them envelopes with an extra $20 at the end of the cruise. TrinaLC had a great suggestion - if you're tipping at the end of the cruise, you may wish to do it a day early, because s/he might not be there the last day.

We were on the Dawn and we tipped the next to last day. We were lgad they did because the regular team was not there there the last morning and we didn't want to miss them.

We had outstanding service for breakfast and lunch. The best of the team was Robert. He was exceptional and made our cruise extra special!!!

As I posted earlier, we had the same experience (regulars not there on last day), but unfortunately we brought our envelopes with tips the last day! So next time, we will tip on the second to last day.

(I just don't like the idea of leaving cash at each meal. I'm not sure why ...)

Archived