Do you carry noise maker to detour bears?

Look2Sea

Not planning to do heavy duty hiking in remote areas,

Planning to do some walking at Mendenhall Glacier, Icy Strait Point/Hoonah,

Mt Roberts in Juneau, and walking trails in Ketchikan.

Not planning to do heavy duty hiking in remote areas,

Planning to do some walking at Mendenhall Glacier, Icy Strait Point/Hoonah,

Mt Roberts in Juneau, and walking trails in Ketchikan.

We did Mendenhall once, and hiked up Mt. Roberts 3 times, and did not feel once that we needed noise makers/bear bangers/ bear sprays. Just like you we did not think they were really heavy-duty remote hiking areas (at least, that's what we thought, but we could have been wrong). We just stayed vigilant at all times. I suggest that if you think there is wildlife around, just do the usual precautions: clap your hands, talk loudly, make noise etc. Also, watch for warnings from the parks department about bears, etc in the area. I do not know what it is like in Alaska, but here in BC, warnings about bear and cougar sightings are usually posted at trailheads to warn hikers to take the necessary precautions.

In some areas, bears are common, so it is a good idea to make sure they stay a good distance away from you. I carry an empty soda can with rocks in it. When it comes down to it, it can be difficult to keep up the "loud talking mode" if you are on an extended trek.

Great idea, BQ, about the can with the rocks. I think we'll do that when we go to Anan.

No, don't do it at Anan! You are paying to see bears! Let the professional guides take care of you and be very, very quiet.

On the issue of carrying around a noise maker. Never did even when bears were an issue when I unloaded groceries at the house outside of Anchorage. Just kept my eyes open and moved quickly. Learned not to leave the tailgate open as bears would be likely to investigate the shopping bags.

I really don't think you need them but for the price of a small bell it won't hurt and will provide you with some peace of mind.

I brought the bear bell up on this board and I received negative comments and basically laughed at.

Great idea, BQ, about the can with the rocks. I think we'll do that when we go to Anan.

Absolutely not. You do not want to use this at Anan. This is for walking on trails etc by yourself.

I'd like to make a clarification about Anan.

We did an excursion to Anan a couple years ago, with Family Air. There were only 3 of us (no guide with a rifle). We were instructed by the rangers to talk loudly and make noise as we made the 15 to 20 minute walk (depending on how fast you go) on the boardwalk through the woods to the viewing platform, and then again on the return to the lagoon to meet the floatplane. I agree with BudgetQueen, it is hard to keep up the loud talking. The can with rocks is a good idea. We clapped our hands a lot.

Once you arrive at the viewing area, then, of course, you want to keep as quiet as possible!

You will love it there. It is by far the best experience we ever had in Alaska, and the most exciting! We saw lots of evidence of bears having recently been on the boardwalk (bear scat and clawed up railings). Right after we entered the viewing platform, a big black bear came out of the woods and casually started walking down the boardwalk from where we had just come!

At the viewing area you will see lots of bears, some right at eye level with you and just a few feet away.

I'd like to make a clarification about Anan.

We did an excursion to Anan a couple years ago, with Family Air. There were only 3 of us (no guide with a rifle). We were instructed by the rangers to talk loudly and make noise as we made the 15 to 20 minute walk (depending on how fast you go) on the boardwalk through the woods to the viewing platform, and then again on the return to the lagoon to meet the floatplane.

You are correct - make noise on the path, don't make noise once you are on the observatory platform. As you said, the rangers also suggest this.

I brought the bear bell up on this board and I received negative comments and basically laughed at.

that is because bear bells are usually not loud enough to be heard by bears.

One needs to make ongoing noise - clap your hands, talk loudly, or call out especially near streams, dense vegetation, and on windy days - so that you can alert the bear that you are coming, and so that it can run away. Making noise is basically warning the bear that you are approaching so that it is not surprised.

The bear needs to know that the noise is coming from something large. Also, try to never hike alone; try to go as a group.

Here's an excerpt on bear bells vs human voice:

"...the best precaution against a surprise encounter with a bear is to make noise. Periodic calling-out or shouting will advertise the presence of a person or persons, and in most cases will result in a bear leaving a particular vicinity before anyone even knows it was there.The human voice is far more effective than the oft-acclaimed "bear bells", which are a charming but quite ineffective way of announcing one's presence to any bears that might be nearby. If bells are carried, a hiker should use their voice as much as they would if they had no bell. Bells are simply not loud enough, and their sound is far gentler than it is authoritarian or threatening."

http://www.ursusinternational.org/en/hiking.html

Archived