Were you bothered by second hand smoke in your balcony?

Those critical of your post are on the money.A Canadien has no room to attack an American

You should learn how to spell Canadian. I don't think he was attacking Americans. And of course everyone knows the USA is behind the 8 ball for racial harmony. That is no newsflash. But we certainly have come a long way in the lifetime of everyone on this board. Wasn't this a thread about rude non smokers??

You should learn how to spell Canadian. I don't think he was attacking Americans. And of course everyone knows the USA is behind the 8 ball for racial harmony. That is no newsflash. But we certainly have come a long way in the lifetime of everyone on this board. Wasn't this a thread about rude non smokers??

Some in Canada spell it that way.Hopefully you learned something today.You would be hard pressed to find a nation without some sort of ant-human discord.Look at the middle east,Canada,The Brits,Asia .The list goes on and on

on this board. Wasn't this a thread about rude non

It was until one poster changed the topic with ridiculous comments.I thought the topic was RUDE SMOKERS.Never met a rude non-smoker.

How could a person not smoking possibly be rude???????????/:rolleyes:

Anyone who doesn't want to be exposed to cigarette smoke can easily avoid it. Those who chose to book a cruise where the smoking policy is liberal have no stand to complain. There are options.

As for my "bedside manner"' date=' it's no better or worse than others here who rant and stomp their feet in a gigantic temper tantrum because they don't get their "way" all the time. You get what you give.... And, no, my career wasn't in the medical field.......[/quote']

I'd disagree with you that those who don't want to be exposed to cigarette smoke can easily avoid it; isn't that what this thread is all about?

I guess coming from the UK where it is illegal to smoke in many public places, we've got used to not being bothered by smoke, so it hadn't occurred to me that we may (or may not) have smoke drifting through from neighbouring balconies.

Anyway, you're right about temper tantrums....I'm off to family cruising. Much more peaceful over there.

I'm not from down under, and you guys usually have things under control. But AFT is AFT. How would you smell something behind you?

Respectfully, comprehension is not your strong point, is it? Did you miss "had a strong breeze blowing from slightly aft of side on, blowing towards our side of the ship"? :rolleyes:

wow, two people have attempted to poke holes in my innocuous little post. Need to run my next one by a lawyer (attorney)!! :p :D

Oh my.

Why do you want to read a meaning into a person's words, that simply is not there?

That is an antagonistic thing to do and it has no validity.

The poster I was responding to (G'ma) has a history of antagonistic postings on the RCI boards. She is a self-proclaimed RCI hater and has taken pleasure in stirring the pot on the RCI boards for over a year now. It's not just about smoking.

I guess my point is....please do not take responses directed toward her personal. They're usually only meant for her.

Your post make you look mean spirited
I apologize if I came off that way.

I do stick up for what is righteous and I refuse to be anyone's door mat, however I have learned to be 100 times more patient and accepting, than I used to be.

There is surely still room for progress and that is all one can do, try to be better today that he/she was yesterday.

I am left with the same impression of you, that you had of me, but I am probably as mistaken about you, as you were about me.

I have not been derogatory toward smokers in this thread, nor will I, so I tread lightly here (it's not in my nature). The poster I was responding to (G'ma) has a history of antagonistic postings on the RCI boards. She is a self-proclaimed RCI hater and has taken pleasure in stirring the pot on the RCI boards for over a year now. It's not just about smoking.

I guess my point is....please do not take responses directed toward her personal. They're usually only meant for her.

I accept your response and embrace it.

I would much rather be friends with you, than not.

I am but a newbie with no knowledge of CC history.

G'ma's posts looked pretty good to me, but I defer to your greater knowledge.

I apologize to all, if I am the one who created this monster, stirred the pot, or whatever I did to antagonize the issue.

I did not mean to, not that that is an excuse, but at least my intentions were not malicious.

I'd disagree with you that those who don't want to be exposed to cigarette smoke can easily avoid it; isn't that what this thread is all about?

I live in a hotel and I have had to leave my room on occasion, due to a person showering in the next room, using a product to which I am severely allergic.

There's always a way to avoid being exposed. We are not in jail. We have freedom of movement.

You could argue for the rights of the non smoker to be allowed to sit on his balcony and enjoy fresh air without the smell of smoke, but you could hardly argue that the 'victim" of said smoke, did not have the option of avoiding it.

Of that, there is no doubt.

Canadien is the French spelling for Canadian. As we are speaking English (not Anglais), the correct spelling is "Canadian".

Actually I've seen it both ways on Canadian/Canadien sites that are set up for those speaking English.Love Hockey

I live in a hotel and I have had to leave my room on occasion, due to a person showering in the next room, using a product to which I am severely allergic.

There's always a way to avoid being exposed. We are not in jail. We have freedom of movement.

You could argue for the rights of the non smoker to be allowed to sit on his balcony and enjoy fresh air without the smell of smoke, but you could hardly argue that the 'victim" of said smoke, did not have the option of avoiding it.

Of that, there is no doubt.

But there is.Some have been quaratined to rooms.Others who are handicapped must wait on others to leave,ECT.ECT

But there is.Some have been quaratined to rooms.Others who are handicapped must wait on others to leave,ECT.ECT
Quarantined in rooms??

With smokers?

Is this like waterboarding only it's smokeboarding?

Surely you jest.

And handicapped people?

They have no freedom of movement?

Tell me who and I'll contribute to buying them a wheelchair.

Or am I just wasting my time talking to a person who only seeks to be argumentative for the fun of it?

I am not accusing you, just asking.

I want to give you the benefit of doubt, that you have 3 digit IQ, and thus are just "playing" (shall we call it that, to remain polite?) and not IQ challenged. (is that the PC way of saying it?)

PS: ECT?? Extra Cough Tobacco???

Actually I've seen it both ways on Canadian/Canadien sites that are set up for those speaking English.Love Hockey
I have seen many words misspelled on websites and you can either take it from me, a born and bred trilingual Canadian,(not Canadien) or you can consult an online dictionary.

http://www.freetranslation.com/

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=en&sl=en&tl=fr#

Thanks, I was just about to say that. I'm disabled and once I'm laying down, it's pretty impossible to get myself up without assistance. So if I'm having a lie down on my bed during the day with the balcony doors open, or if I'm having a lie down on the balcony, and someone starts smoking enough to bother me, then it *is* going to be more difficult for me to avoid the smoke.

Marco, I already have a wheelchair but if you would like to contribute to the cost, be my guest! :-)

I hope I have provided a bit of entertainment to my American brethren and Cruise Critic members on this very special occasion.

I do have a 4th of July BBQ to attend to, so I'd better get a move on.

We'll be eating all sorts of "smoked" foods today.

Hope nobody complains from their balconies.......

Thanks, I was just about to say that. I'm disabled and once I'm laying down, it's pretty impossible to get myself up without assistance. So if I'm having a lie down on my bed during the day with the balcony doors open, or if I'm having a lie down on the balcony, and someone starts smoking enough to bother me, then it *is* going to be more difficult for me to avoid the smoke.

I already have a wheelchair but if anyone would like to contribute to the cost, be my guest! :-)

Assuming you are not just pulling our collective legs, I do sympathize with the situation.

Life ain't always fair.

You could do as many have suggested, to talk to your smoking neighbours and see if you can work out a friendly arrangement for when you want to lie down on the balcony, and you might want to consider closing your doors before lying down in your room.

That is not to say that I don't feel for you, as you have some exceptional circumstances.

I suppose if I was bound to a wheelchair, I could find a lot of things to complain about, not that I'm saying I would, just saying I could.

Assuming you are not just pulling our collective legs, I do sympathize with the situation.

Life ain't always fair.

You could do as many have suggested, to talk to your smoking neighbours and see if you can work out a friendly arrangement for when you want to lie down on the balcony, and you might want to consider closing your doors before lying down in your room.

That is not to say that I don't feel for you, as you have some exceptional circumstances.

I suppose if I was bound to a wheelchair, I could find a lot of things to complain about, not that I'm saying I would, just saying I could.

No, being disabled is not something I would joke about, believe me.

I'm luckier than a lot of people; I can walk, just not very far and in a lot of pain, and I have to have a walking stick. I'm only just 40 and have a young daughter, so it means that my husband and daughter will be out of the cabin having fun, while I rest and lie down in the cabin.

But that's fine; it's certainly going to be a lot more interesting than the view from my bedroom!

So I'm not complaining, but just pointing out that life is not always that straightforward, and that not everyone has an easy option of getting up and walking away.

However, IF I have a problem with smoke then I'm sure the neighbours and I can work something out, or I can ask my husband to close the doors for me before he has to go rock climbing/ice skating/shopping with my DD! :)

No, being disabled is not something I would joke about, believe me.

I'm luckier than a lot of people; I can walk, just not very far and in a lot of pain, and I have to have a walking stick. I'm only just 40 and have a young daughter, so it means that my husband and daughter will be out of the cabin having fun, while I rest and lie down in the cabin.

But that's fine; it's certainly going to be a lot more interesting than the view from my bedroom!

So I'm not complaining, but just pointing out that life is not always that straightforward, and that not everyone has an easy option of getting up and walking away.

However, IF I have a problem with smoke then I'm sure the neighbours and I can work something out, or I can ask my husband to close the doors for me before he has to go rock climbing/ice skating/shopping with my DD! :)

Again I say, I feel for you.

I'm afraid that my ole' body ain't much better.

Pain is a familiar friend of mine.

I'm inconvenienced by it all the time, but I am very happy and eternally grateful for being alive and to be so fortunate as to live under the circumstances that I do.

It appears to me that you also have a good attitude, and attitude counts for everything.

It's the difference between being happy and not.

You certainly never have to pick up a phone at all' date=' for any reason.....

However, if I have a neighbor who is carrying on with loud music and bellowing on the balcony...you bet I'd pick up the phone. Same with loud partying, children racing up and down the hallways playing tag or just being noisy.

I agree that everyone needs to be considerate......that includes those who don't like smokers and their habit.[/quote']

Sounds like you may stay on the phone complaining during your cruise! Is there anything you don't complain about? Just a few mentioned on this thread non-smokers, music, noisy and playing kids, balcony doors open, ANYTHING someone else writes on this thread, etc. The list could go on and on and this doesn't include your lovely comments on other posts. Who are you to say I don't like smokers and I'm not considerate to them? First of all I'm a former smoker, I have tons of friends and wonderful co-workers I adore who are smokers as well. It has nothing to do with someone being a smoker or non-smoker. Everyone should be considerate...smokers, non-smokers, old and young, parents, non-parents, married, un-married, etc. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do. If I wanted to make accusations I could say you dislike non-smokers but I'm not one to try and twist someones opinions that does not agree with mine into accusing them of not liking them just because of a habit they may or may not have.

Just for the record I have known two people who have died from lung cancer due to what was told to them (From Doctors) to be from second hand smoke because they never smoked!

Smokers have good points as well as non-smokers it comes down to opinion in the end. My opinion is smoking is a choice that not only can negatively affect their health but the health of the people they choose to smoke around. In my opinion smoking should be confined to areas that would not affect non-smokers. That is why I'm so glad many states realize this as well and ban smoking in public areas (dining establishments, etc.)

This is my opinion you may agree or disagree but do not accuse me of being rude and disliking people just because they may have a habit I do not, G'ma!

Quarantined in rooms??

With smokers?

Is this like waterboarding only it's smokeboarding?

Surely you jest.

And handicapped people?

They have no freedom of movement?

Tell me who and I'll contribute to buying them a wheelchair.

Or am I just wasting my time talking to a person who only seeks to be argumentative for the fun of it?

I am not accusing you, just asking.

I want to give you the benefit of doubt, that you have 3 digit IQ, and thus are just "playing" (shall we call it that, to remain polite?) and not IQ challenged. (is that the PC way of saying it?)

PS: ECT?? Extra Cough Tobacco???

and I thought that you are being argumentive.A person quarantined to their balcony quarters will be affected by the smoker next door but you know that .You are just playing and I too ,just to be polite, will assume that you have a 3 digit IQ

Marco, I already have a wheelchair but if you would like to contribute to the cost, be my guest! :-)

Be careful.Some nasty person may question your IQ

and I thought that you are being argumentive.A person quarantined to their balcony quarters will be affected by the smoker next door but you know that .You are just playing and I too ,just to be polite, will assume that you have a 3 digit IQ
Hi Jake,

No, I actually was not kidding.

The thing is that I have only ever been on one cruise, just this past April, and I have little to no experience.

I had never heard of a person being quarantined to their balconies.

How does that happen, or are you just pulling my leg again?

PS, I doubt that I have 3 digit IQ, but I'm not so far under as to not realize that most others do.

Archived