Best Zip-line?

jlevitt92

All the zip line/excursion vendors have kiosks at the pier. Go to the stair case and hang right. But you may be better served booking before your cruise in terms of time and deals. Shoretrips' newer zipline is very good; double cabled and the guides are attentive and will assist as needed. Some high zips over ravines. I've heard good things about Pirates of the Caribbean's multiple courses too. I think V.B. uses a 3rd zip line company for his excursions.

I'm also trying to find the best zipline for our stop in Roatan next month. I am looking for a "beginner" course i.e. lines closer to the ground with a more gentle slope, as I am a big chicken :eek: and will have my kids with me.

From researching this forum, I understand there are 4 ziplines on Roatan-1) South Shore near West Bay Beach, 2) Jungle Canopy near Palmetto Bay, 3) Pirates of the Carribbean which has a regular and an extreme course, and the new 4)Mayan Jungle Canopy owned by Victor Bodden. Is this correct?

I have been trying to go directly to the company's sites and the South Shore Zipline looks very good but am having a hard time finding the site for the zipline near Palmetto Bay which I read that, at one time, was the least scary course. I am also unable to find details regarding the New Mayan line i.e. length and height of lines and size of its platforms. So where does this one fit the thrill factor scale...and would you recommend a particular one for someone like me. :eek:

Also, all the lines now include a 2nd safety cord and no longer use handbrakes, right?

In addition, I am thinking about using Bodden Tours and understand that in the past this website had a comparison chart which is no longer available, no doubt because of his new Mayan line. I'm guessing that this means that all his tours go to his zipline, right?

:)

I used Theris Dixon tours and had a tour guide named Jason, who was really great. He rode us out to take a tour of the mangroves and then to the iguana farm and then to the zipline course. I used South Shore in May for my first time ziplining. I really enjoyed it and felt safe. Afterwards, we were hot and sticky and just wanted to take a dip in the ocean and grab a bite to eat, he took us to a nice little resort on a bay, we ordered a wonderful little meal and splashed around a bit and then headed back to the boat.

By the way, Roatan was the place we wanted to come back to for a week. Have a great time!

Archived