Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I know that Sweden is famous for its glass. however, we would like to find a gallery that sells studio or art glass i.e. glass made by an individual craftsperson/artist as opposed to something produced by a factory (kosta, boda etc). I have found one gallery Blas & Knoda in sodermalm stockholm.

now for my 2 questions: is it possible to walk from stadsgarden where our ship is docking, s167 to be precise, to hornsgatan 26a sodermalm? from google maps it looks like there is a highway which might block pedestrian traffic.

are there studio art galleries in gamla stan?

thanks in advance.

As the crow flies, Hornsgatan is directly on the same route when you walk towards the city from pier 167. When you get to the place where you can see all all the parked buses you should veer to the right and walk up the hill and when you reach the top you can follow the sidewalk (across the small crossing to the left) and it will take you to Hornsgatan. Since you have a map I won't go into more detail, but just take the high road at the bus barn and you will be fine. Stay on the right side of Hornsgatan and you will find the art shops.

Al

Edited by Al_Frescoe

acjb ~ question about the Royal Palace you might be able to answer. We've been to Stockholm on land trips before - a fabulous city! (Our son-in-law is from Hallstavik and he's spoiled us with wonderful visits to Sweden.) We'll be in Stockholm for on July 7th on the Constellation during a Baltic cruise.

We've seen the Changing of the Guard (on Princess Victoria's birthday in 2008!) but have never been inside the Palace. I've gotten information on their web site about times and prices but wonder if they ever run-out of tickets? I can't find any where to order tickets in advance (as Buckingham Palace). I have E-mailed a question but have not received an answer yet.

We'd like to see at least the Royal Apartment and Gustav III´s Museum of Antiquities - I understand there's a combination ticket.

Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated. And I must say - you are a fabulous person to offer such detailed help! I've lived in NYC all my life and don't think I'd be able to give the same detailed help regarding my city! I've never traveled here!!! Thanks much!

Hello.

I must tell you that I have never been to that museum :-)

But I have never heard about that any museum were sold out.

In the worst case you maybe have to wait in a line for the tickets.

Have you been to Stockholm before? If so I may understand that you want to do something different.

But if not it seems very strange to want to leave the city to spend your time in a park. Stockholm is a beautiful city, and most cruise passengers who have been on a Baltic cruise seem to rate St Petersburg, Copenhagen and Stockholm as the most interesting cities.

It is not to critisize your decision, it just seems so difficult to understand.

Nope, we've never been to Stockholm. Don't get me wrong, we still plan to spend some time exploring the Gamla Stan, I just liked the looks of the park and thought it would be an interesting place to explore. What would your suggestions be? The Vasa doesn't really interest me at all.

acjb - Thank you for offering your advice! My wife and I will be in your wonderful city for a day in early August on the Eurodam. We will be heading first to the Vasa Museum, and after that to City Hall. I'm an amateur photographer and really want to see the view from the tower! What is the best way to get to the City Hall from the Vasa Museum, since they are on opposite ends of the city? And about how long will it take? Thank you!! OH, and what is your favorite spot to photograph in the city? Again, thank you!

Tom and Judy

Skirbyz

Reston, Virginia

From Vasa Museum to Cityhall my suggestion is if you are able to it take the ferry to Old town and then a walk. The ferry takes about 5-10 minutes and then a 15-20 minutes walk. If you going by bus the journey may take a long time while they are building a lot of tram tracks in the area between "Djurgården" there Vasa museum is situated and the city.

My favorite spot of taking pictures is at "Fjällgatan". Just a 5 minutes walk from Metrostation Slussen.

Fjällgatan is a street on a hill there you have a nice view of the city.

Edited by acjb

From Vasa Museum to Cityhall my suggestion is if you are able to it take the ferry to Old town and then a walk. The ferry takes about 5-10 minutes and then a 15-20 minutes walk. If you going by bus the journey may take a long time while they are building a lot of tram tracks in the area between "Djurgården" there Vasa museum is situated and the city.

My favorite spot of taking pictures is at "Fjällgatan". Just a 5 minutes walk from Metrostation Slussen.

Fjällgatan is a street on a hill there you have a nice view of the city.

I am planning on taking Katarinavagen to Fjallgatan from the Slussen Metro station in order to see La Mano on the way. From the metro, do I need to take the Katarina elevator to get to Katarinavagen or can I get to it directly from Metro exit? Thanks

Hi, about the museum, I think you mean "Livrustkammaren". You find it is in the basement of the royal palace.

Here is the link to it in english

http://lrk.lsh.se/default.asp?id=3032&refid=0

The hop on hop off boat runs daily until 13 september.

The bus, im not shure but it runs daily until at least 16 august.

Where do you get the boat, and tickets?

Hi,

We're planning on RCCL Vision of the Seas cruise stockholm-copenhagen cruise in Aug 2010. We are a party of 4 adults, 1 teenager and one 1 year old infant. We'll be flying from London Stanstead to Stockholm Verstas on Ryanair, landing approx 9am on Sunday 8th Aug. From there we will take the coach to Central Terminal and then hope to cab it to the RCCL dock for 5pm departure.

Have the following questions for our Stockholm day:

1. Do infants require child seats in the Coach and in taxi? We don't want to travel with the child seat if it's not required. For example, in London child seats are not mandatory in the back seat of Taxi's.

2. With the aim of travelling light, will we find a supermarket/hypermarket/dept store open on Sunday around midday for some infant shopping? diapers, baby food etc

3. what is the best way (not the cheapest but convenient and least stressful) to go from central terminal to frihammen dock? i presume taxi but pls advise if there is a better alternative.

Have more questions but i'll ask later as things firm up. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

We're planning on RCCL Vision of the Seas cruise stockholm-copenhagen cruise in Aug 2010. We are a party of 4 adults, 1 teenager and one 1 year old infant. We'll be flying from London Stanstead to Stockholm Verstas on Ryanair, landing approx 9am on Sunday 8th Aug. From there we will take the coach to Central Terminal and then hope to cab it to the RCCL dock for 5pm departure.

Have the following questions for our Stockholm day:

1. Do infants require child seats in the Coach and in taxi? We don't want to travel with the child seat if it's not required. For example, in London child seats are not mandatory in the back seat of Taxi's.

2. With the aim of travelling light, will we find a supermarket/hypermarket/dept store open on Sunday around midday for some infant shopping? diapers, baby food etc

3. what is the best way (not the cheapest but convenient and least stressful) to go from central terminal to frihammen dock? i presume taxi but pls advise if there is a better alternative.

Have more questions but i'll ask later as things firm up. Thanks in advance.

Hello.

You need a childseat for your 1 year old infant in a taxi in Sweden. I don´t think it´s required in the bus, but I´m not shure.

You can call "Taxi Stockholm" and request a car with a childseat. It should not be any problem.

The most of the supermarkets are open at Sundays in Stockholm. You have some on your taxijourney to Frihamnen. Ask the taxidriver to stop by a "Konsum" or "ICA" supermarket. They have all the required things for your baby.

If you run out of diapers you will easy find supermarkets in Gothenburg and Oslo as well on your cruise.

We are going for a transatlantic cruise in 2 weeks with our 1 year old boy with RCCL. We really look forward for it :-)

acjb -

Thanks for the info. August can't come soon enough. It'll be great to escape the Dubai heat in August even if its only for 10days.

To follow up, is there another transport option for the Central Terminal to RCCL Dock besides a taxi? It could be difficult to "CALL" for the taxi with child seat once we get to Central. pls let me know if you can.

Thanks...

Hi again,

With respect to the walk from Vasa to the ferry:

The walk takes about 10 minutes. Do we walk back out to the main road and walk to Allmanna Grand? The ferry stop is before we get to Grona Lund. Is this correct?

Bus #76 form Gamla Stan back to Frihamnen:

I believe there are 2 stops, Rantmastartruppan and Slottsbacken.

Is Rantmastartruppan where we will have come off the ferry? I am confused as I thought the ferry stop was Slussen terminalen.

Is Slottsbacken right near the Palace. I thought it was referred to as "Palace Hill".

Are there any other bus stops in Gamla Stan? Trip from these two stops to Frihamnen will take 15-20 minutes.

Thanks again,

Sheal

acjb -

Thanks for the info. August can't come soon enough. It'll be great to escape the Dubai heat in August even if its only for 10days.

To follow up, is there another transport option for the Central Terminal to RCCL Dock besides a taxi? It could be difficult to "CALL" for the taxi with child seat once we get to Central. pls let me know if you can.

Thanks...

You can also go by Underground to "GÄRDET" and then take bus number 1, direction "FRIHAMNEN". The busstop you get off the bus is FRIHAMNEN, the endstation.

Hi again,

With respect to the walk from Vasa to the ferry:

The walk takes about 10 minutes. Do we walk back out to the main road and walk to Allmanna Grand? The ferry stop is before we get to Grona Lund. Is this correct?

Bus #76 form Gamla Stan back to Frihamnen:

Is Rantmastartruppan where we will have come off the ferry? I am confused as I thought the ferry stop was Slussen terminalen.

Is Slottsbacken right near the Palace. I thought it was referred to as "Palace Hill".

Are there any other bus stops in Gamla Stan? Trip from these two stops to Frihamnen will take 15-20 minutes.

Thanks again,

Sheal

Hello.

The ferrystop is very close to the main entrance to Gröna Lund. You´ll see where sea is when you are by Gröna Lund.

Räntmästartrappan is the nearest busstop from the ferry. Just go up to the road and you should see the busstop.

Slottsbacken is just outside the royal palace, maybe 3-4 minutes walk from Räntmästartrappan to the right (if you come from the ferry från Djurgården/Vasa Museum).

Hi again,

With respect to the walk from Vasa to the ferry. Do we walk back out to the main road and walk to Allmanna Grand?

I think it should be possible to turn right when coming out from Vasa and then follow the side of museum to the small boat harbor and then along the harbour out to Alkärret road and follow the tram tracks along Falkenbergsgatan to Allmänna Gränd but I have never walked the middle part of the route myself, so I would like some with local knowledge to confirm.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.326546,18.093088&spn=0.004827,0.020556&t=h&z=17

Straight English translation of "Slottsbacken" is "Palace Hil"l

"I think it should be possible to turn right when coming out from Vasa and then follow the side of museum to the small boat harbor and then along the harbour out to Alkärret road and follow the tram tracks along Falkenbergsgatan to Allmänna Gränd but I have never walked the middle part of the route myself, so I would like some with local knowledge to confirm."

Yes, I was wondering if there was a short-cut.:p

Wish I could figure out that quote thing!

Edited by Sheal

"I think it should be possible to turn right when coming out from Vasa and then follow the side of museum to the small boat harbor and then along the harbour out to Alkärret road and follow the tram tracks along Falkenbergsgatan to Allmänna Gränd but I have never walked the middle part of the route myself, so I would like some with local knowledge to confirm."

Yes, I was wondering if there was a short-cut.:p

Wish I could figure out that quote thing!

Yes Ultime Thule is right. You don't have to go back to the main road, you can walk along the water.

To quote, just press the "quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote.

Yes Ultime Thule is right. You don't have to go back to the main road, you can walk along the water.

To quote, just press the "quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote.

Great news, I'm sure either walk will be nice.:)

Thanks for help on the quote thing too.

Sheal

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Hi, we are bringing our 2 Grandaughters (age 2 and 7) to Stockholm, in August, for a cruise. Have booked flights so we can have 2 nights in your beautiful city before, Fab! but now a bit confused, about hotel? where to go,for the short while we are there, any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks, Shelley

Hello,

I was wondering if any Stockholm residents may know when (and I guess IF) the ABBA Museum is supposed to open in Stockholm? I think it was supposed to open in 2009 but, through many delays, I don't think it's open yet. Our cruise stops in Stockholm in Sept, 2010 and we'd love to visit the museum while there, if they get it up and running.

Thanks!

Our air flight will be arriving early in the AM in Stockholm from the US. We are determined to keep on our feet to avoid jet lag so will try to do some touring. Are the restrooms (don't know what they are called in Stockholm) around town and do they cost money for use? We will be staying downtown at the Hotel Riddargatan. Do you know anything about this hotel and is it close to any restaurants? How would we get get to the Vasa Museum from our hotel?

You are so nice to answer all the ?s you have received.

Oh, one more? What is the cost of a cab ride from the airport to downtown? Is it better money wise to pay in krona or a US credit card (do they take them?)

Thanks!!!!!

Hello,

I was wondering if any Stockholm residents may know when (and I guess IF) the ABBA Museum is supposed to open in Stockholm? I think it was supposed to open in 2009 but, through many delays, I don't think it's open yet. Our cruise stops in Stockholm in Sept, 2010 and we'd love to visit the museum while there, if they get it up and running.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the ABBA museum project is dead for the time being.

Al

Unfortunately the ABBA museum project is dead for the time being.

Al

WHAT??? They were just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...how can this be???!!!

But seriously though. If there was an ABBA museum, we'd work our day trip around it. I hate to say it, but fortunately we apparently now have more time to visit your beautiful city...and not have to worry about another museum to plan around!!

Thank you so much for the updates and for all the information. You are making our trip so much easier to plan.

WHAT??? They were just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...how can this be???!!!

But seriously though. If there was an ABBA museum, we'd work our day trip around it. I hate to say it, but fortunately we apparently now have more time to visit your beautiful city...and not have to worry about another museum to plan around!!

Thank you so much for the updates and for all the information. You are making our trip so much easier to plan.

They were hot on trail but it seems the organizers ran out of money. The members of ABBA themselves were going to donate a lot of artifacts, but frankly, they are pretty humble and like a lot of Swedes don't really care for a lot of attention like that, that's just my opinion of course. ABBA themselves could easily put up the money, but, well, it's just not like them.

Al