Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thanks for the article. My question is whether there are taxis at the dock. Marlyne

If you read my Taxi article it mentions that taxis tend to congregate outside the security areas of the various docks.

Al

I just learned that we are docking at Stadsgarden 167. Is there a walkway all along the river to the west end of the Island? Thanks. Marlyne

Yes you can walk along the water to the Slussen/Old Town area.

Al

This is probably a silly question BUT what the heck!

My husband is, for reasons I don't yet understand (and we've been married nearly 10 years), strongly anti-taxi, so we'll mostly be using public transportation and our own two feet to get around Stockholm.

Is it possible to walk from the Vasa Museum to the Ice Bar? I was looking at the map link someone posted earlier and I just can't tell if there are pedestrian pathways the whole way. (Google indicates it's fairly short - 2.7km - but, you know)

If not, what's the EASIEST way to get from the Vasa Museum back in that direction? Would it be the ferry (then walking)?

Thanks!!

Sarbah, do you have reservations at the Ice Bar?? If not, you probably won't get in. They have a web site you can check for information. Cost is about $30/person and includes one drink -- is a 45 minute max. reservation.

Al Frescoe, I am sorry. I sure thought I read it thouroughly. But I must have skimmed part of it. Thanks again. Marlyne

Keep in mind though, the "black taxis" like to hang around there as well, stick with the major companies, call ahead and they will send a car.

Al

Al ~ quick question - I know you say its walkable from Stadsgarden 167 to Galma Stan but is it also possible to take a bus - number 76???

If so would we get it on Katarinavagen??

Is it easy to get from the dock to Katarinavagen - from the map I have it looks like train tracks between.

Thanks SO much for all your help!!!

Al, I will definitely take your advice. Does the walkway along the river go all the way to the west of the island? How far is it from the Stadsgarden 167 to the Slussen Hilton? Is it a pleasant walk? Thanks. Marlyne

Sarbah, do you have reservations at the Ice Bar?? If not, you probably won't get in. They have a web site you can check for information. Cost is about $30/person and includes one drink -- is a 45 minute max. reservation.

yup! We sure do, which is why I'm trying to figure out how to get there via two feet or public transportation! :)

Al ~ quick question - I know you say its walkable from Stadsgarden 167 to Galma Stan but is it also possible to take a bus - number 76???

If so would we get it on Katarinavagen??

Is it easy to get from the dock to Katarinavagen - from the map I have it looks like train tracks between.

Thanks SO much for all your help!!!

Hi,

Bus 76 is the bus that services Frihamnen, not Stadsgården.

From that point the buses only go to Slussen. There is a stop near the Viking Line terminal, but it is the last stop before slussen (end of the line). So, if you left the security area at Stadsgården 167 and followed the blue line past the Viking terminal and found your way to the busy street and turned to the left you will see a bus stop named Londonviadukten. All the buses will stop here and all the buses go to slussen.

If you want to walk and take the real scenic route, just continue past the Viking terminal and keep looking to the left and you will see a staircase on the other side of the busy road (be careful crossing) that will take you above to Katarinavägen. You can see "La Mano" here and the views of the city are nice and make for a pleasant stroll down the hill to slussen.

Al

Al, I will definitely take your advice. Does the walkway along the river go all the way to the west of the island? How far is it from the Stadsgarden 167 to the Slussen Hilton? Is it a pleasant walk? Thanks. Marlyne

Hi,

That is no river, it's the Baltic Sea :). Just keep walking and veer to the right and up the small hill. Ferry to the Vasa near the water on the right and the old town across the street to the left ... can't miss it. You can see the Hilton from there as well. I think it is a very nice walk, your destination is in sight the entire way.

Al

Is it possible to walk from the Vasa Museum to the Ice Bar? I was looking at the map link someone posted earlier and I just can't tell if there are pedestrian pathways the whole way. (Google indicates it's fairly short - 2.7km - but, you know)

If not, what's the EASIEST way to get from the Vasa Museum back in that direction? Would it be the ferry (then walking)?

Apart from a few exceptions (like some highway bridges and tunnels and industrial areas) there should be pedestrian pathways almost everyhere in the centers of the nordic capitals. The route you mention is a very nice one along the water and then through the commercial center of Stockholm. Not a slightest problem apart from the fact it is a bit time consuming.

The ideal thing for you would be bus #47 that takes you straight from Vasa to the Central Station and the ice bar is just a few blocks away from the latter.

If I was in your situation and noticed I had just missed bus 47 I would consider taking bus #44 to Karlaplan and then take the subway to T-Centralen and use the exit to the Central Station but then of course I know Stockholm quite well.

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fvinter/SthlmInnerstad.pdf

Edited by Ultima Thule

Apart from a few exceptions (like some highway bridges and tunnels and industrial areas) there should be pedestrian pathways almost everyhere in the centers of the nordic capitals. The route you mention is a very nice one along the water and then through the commercial center of Stockholm. Not a slightest problem apart from the fact it is a bit time consuming.

The ideal thing for you would be bus #47 that takes you straight from Vasa to the Central Station and the ice bar is just a few blocks away from the latter.

If I was in your situation and noticed I had just missed bus 47 I would consider taking bus #44 to Karlaplan and then take the subway to T-Centralen and use the exit to the Central Station but then of course I know Stockholm quite well.

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fvinter/SthlmInnerstad.pdf

Wow! Than you so much for your help and links and maps and suggestions. :) It's good to know that we've got a couple of options that fit within our comfort zones!

(This cruise is our first international trip, so it's both exciting and overwhelming)

Thanks again! I've printed off a copy of the map (and written in your notes).

Edited by sarbah77

Al, Thanks. I did finally figure out that it is the Baltic and further in is Lake Maleren. I want to walk along Fjallgatan to see the architecture and also walk or taxi to the Mariaberget area to see the architecture and the views then back down to the HOHO boat. We may spend a couple of hours in this area. Do you think these are good places to spend a little time? This is our fourth time in Stockholm. On our first trip we were on a land tour and stayed four nights, so we have seen most of the traditional tourist places. We love Gamla Stan and plan to spend several hours there. Marlyne

Al ~ thanks SO much for your info - La Mano - I have seen it mentioned and in area of our dock and was hoping to find it - you read my mind! My historian husband is especially interested in see it!

Ultima Thule ~ thanks for the map - I know it'll come in handy!!

To both ~ our original thoughts were to head to the Royal Palace fastest way and then eventually walk back - but maybe we'll reverse our plans and slowly walk to the Palace and then take bus/taxi back to the ship - we'll have less energy towards the end of the day! We'd like to see the Palace & Museum and also the Medieval Museum - then walk through Galma Stan again. We've been to Stockholm a few times but never inside the Palace.

Thanks so much for all your help - any further advice regarding buses/traveling will be much appreciated!

tack så mycket

Hi Al,

Would you know how many passengers a taxi will take.

We are a group of 5 adults . . will one taxi do or are there taxi vans available at the pier?

Thanks,

Rita

Are any of the gates or walls from the 1500's still around? Marlyne

The rather small town walls were pulled down in the early 17 century when the city was expanding. Only a few bits remain in the Middle Age Museum.

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Stockholms_stadsmur_2010.jpg

But the Riddarholmskyrkan & Storkyrkan churches, the Palace cellar (=Tre Kronor Museum) and some of the buildings in old town are real old.

Al, Thanks. I did finally figure out that it is the Baltic and further in is Lake Maleren. I want to walk along Fjallgatan to see the architecture and also walk or taxi to the Mariaberget area to see the architecture and the views then back down to the HOHO boat. We may spend a couple of hours in this area. Do you think these are good places to spend a little time? This is our fourth time in Stockholm. On our first trip we were on a land tour and stayed four nights, so we have seen most of the traditional tourist places. We love Gamla Stan and plan to spend several hours there. Marlyne

Super! An experienced Stockholm visitor that is back to see the real deal - congrats. Fjällgatan and Mariaberget and those areas of Södermalm are well worth a visit. Since you have been here before and seen all the "must sees" you can see Skansen too. I don't usually recommend Skansen to cruisers just becuase of the limited time they have, but if you have not been there and the weather is nice I would go, but take your time.

Have a great time

Al

For years, I have been fascinated by the picture in Storkyrkan of the light phenomenon in 1535. A few years ago, my husband took a picture of it (he has a great camera), blew it up and framed it for a Christmas present. I love it. In that picture, the gates and some wall are shown.

We have been to Skansen and enjoyed it. We thought exploring a new area, for us, would be fun. We were actually planning to come to Sodermalm before I learned that our ship was docking there. Thanks for everyone's information. Marlyne

Al or Ultima,

Do you have a general idea of how long it should take, via taxi, to get from the Ice Bar to Frihamnen? We are thinking about making reservations for the 1500-1545 "tour" but have to be back on the ship by 1630. I don't know if 45 minutes is enough time to get back to the ship. We'll be there on a Wednesday.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Tami

Al or Ultima,

Do you have a general idea of how long it should take, via taxi, to get from the Ice Bar to Frihamnen? We are thinking about making reservations for the 1500-1545 "tour" but have to be back on the ship by 1630. I don't know if 45 minutes is enough time to get back to the ship. We'll be there on a Wednesday.

I haven't used a Stockholm taxi for many a year but looking at the bus timetables some 25-30 minutes is reserved for bus #1 for that route including stops and some extra detours so a taxi would surely be able to do the route much faster than that during normal circumstances.

Al or Ultima,

Thank you so much for all your help.

Tami

Depending on traffic I would say 15-20 minutes.

Al

I haven't used a Stockholm taxi for many a year but looking at the bus timetables some 25-30 minutes is reserved for bus #1 for that route including stops and some extra detours so a taxi would surely be able to do the route much faster than that during normal circumstances.

Depending on traffic I would say 15-20 minutes.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I know the Ice Bar is not the best use of our limited time in Stockholm, but my two teens are really excited to go there and it will be a nice change for them after a day of historical sightseeing.