Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

The Jewel will dock at Frihamnen on Aug. 11. Is the bus to town close by? Where do we purchase bus tickets? Where do we get off to get on the HOHO boat?

Also I think you recommended going to an island in the archipelago (Vauxhall). Where do you get that transportation?

This will be our second time in Stockholm. We loved your city!

Thanks for your help.

Lynda

Hello.

From Frihamnen you can go with bus 76 into the town.

If you want to go to "Vaxholm" (not Vauxhall) you leave the bus at Busstop "Karl XII torg". If you want to go with the hop on hop off boat, you stay on the bus 1 more stop. That stop is in the old town just by the Royal Palace.

The busticket you can buy in a machine at the busstop. It accept credit cards. The busstop is in the port. Ask someone who works at the port where the busstop is.

Hello.

From Frihamnen you can go with bus 76 into the town.

If you want to go to "Vaxholm" (not Vauxhall) you leave the bus at Busstop "Karl XII torg". If you want to go with the hop on hop off boat, you stay on the bus 1 more stop. That stop is in the old town just by the Royal Palace.

The busticket you can buy in a machine at the busstop. It accept credit cards. The busstop is in the port. Ask someone who works at the port where the busstop is.

Is there a HoHo bus that stops anywhere near Frihamnen??

Hi

Thank you for offering to help us out :)

We will arrive in Stockholm at 5:00 p.m. Saturday September 5th so we may not be up to any sightseeing until the following day. I want to see as much of Stockholm as possible on Sunday and I understand that the busses don't run.

My question - if I get a taxi to pick us up at Frihamnen is there anything open before 10:00 AM? I am interested in seeing Old Town, City Hall, Vasa, and Skansen and get back to the dock by 3:00 because the ship leaves at 4:00. Any advice about transportation so we can see all of these things and not wait around for the next HOHO bus????

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I have posted the website link earlier in this thread. But ok, here it is again....

http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Boat-tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

Thanks, but this is hoho boat, and it seems to go one direction. Does that mean if I want to go from Gamla Stan back to Stadsgarden where the cruise docks, I will have to make a full circle (1hr it seems)? Do you know if the 100kr pass can be used for other ferry transport?

Edited by yms5817

Thanks, but this is hoho boat, and it seems to go one direction. Does that mean if I want to go from Gamla Stan back to Stadsgarden where the cruise docks, I will have to make a full circle (1hr it seems)? Do you know if the 100kr pass can be used for other ferry transport?

I´ve never been at the hop on hop off boats so I don´t know if it is only one direction.

You can not use the travelpass at other boats/ferrys in the city.

Edited by acjb

Hi

We will arrive in Stockholm at 5:00 p.m. Saturday September 5th so we may not be up to any sightseeing until the following day. I want to see as much of Stockholm as possible on Sunday and I understand that the busses don't run.

My question - if I get a taxi to pick us up at Frihamnen is there anything open before 10:00 AM? I am interested in seeing Old Town, City Hall, Vasa, and Skansen and get back to the dock by 3:00 because the ship leaves at 4:00. Any advice about transportation so we can see all of these things and not wait around for the next HOHO bus????

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

It is not so much places open in Stockholm before 10 AM at a sunday. Specialy not in september.

I suggest you to go by taxi to Old town or the cityhall, it is walkingdistance between them. From old town you can take the ferry over to the Island "Djurgården" there you can find "Skansen" and "Vasamuseum". From the island "Djurgården" you can take a taxi back to your ship. It is closer from Djurgården to your ship than from the old town.

With this suggestions you should not have to wait so much for transportation and you have more time to see Stockholm

We are thinking of using the high-speed train to Arlanda from our hotel (The Grand) when we leave Stockholm. Any tips? How long does the trip take? How early should we arrive to the airport for an international flight? thanks.

We are thinking of using the high-speed train to Arlanda from our hotel (The Grand) when we leave Stockholm. Any tips? How long does the trip take? How early should we arrive to the airport for an international flight? thanks.

The trip with Arlanda express should not take more than 22 minutes.

My advice is to plan to be at Arlanda airport 90 minutes before they close the check in.

That is because you should have enough time if something hapens on the way to arlanda for example with the train.

Edited by acjb

What can happen with the train?

Everything.....

It could be something wrong with the rail, the signals, the train, the electricity.

The most of the time the trains in Sweden are right in time, but if something hapends, it is good to have some extra time. I Mean, it is not for free to buy a new ticket to the other side of the atlantic ocean.

Hi

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Going to the City Hall very early in the morning is not to be recommended. The only way to get inside the Hall is with a guided tour. In September the only guided tours are at 10.00 am and at 12.00 am. So if you want to go inside, be there in good time for one of these tours.

We will be in Stockholm on a Saturday and Sunday later this month and have made reservation at the Grand Hotel for the smorgasbord on Sunday at 1 pm (13:00). Our shp leaves port at 5 pm (17:00). How long does it take to have an enjoyable smorgasbord and then return to the ship :D - have we left enough time? Although we have a Stockholm card, it is my understanding that the busses do not run (at all?) on Sunday, and we will have to take a cab - should this be a problem? Would we be wise to plan to see the City Hall that morning - and save Saturday for general site seeing as more will be open? Any insights will be appreciated!

Fran (and Jeff)

We will be in Stockholm on a Saturday and Sunday later this month and have made reservation at the Grand Hotel for the smorgasbord on Sunday at 1 pm (13:00). Our shp leaves port at 5 pm (17:00). How long does it take to have an enjoyable smorgasbord and then return to the ship :D - have we left enough time? Although we have a Stockholm card, it is my understanding that the busses do not run (at all?) on Sunday, and we will have to take a cab - should this be a problem? Would we be wise to plan to see the City Hall that morning - and save Saturday for general site seeing as more will be open? Any insights will be appreciated!

Fran (and Jeff)

The buses in Stockholm runs at sundays. But it is a direct bus line to Frihamnen from Old town. That bus does not run on sundays.

I think you should have atleast 2 hours for the smörgåsbord.

Outside Grand Hotel, it is always taxis there waiting for people.

Hi!

We want to catch the ferry from the Vasa Museum to gamla stan - how long does it take and how much does it cost, please??

From Vasamuseum you take a short walk to outside the amusementpark "Gröna Lund".

From there you take the ferry to Slussen in Gamla Stan.

It costs 40 Swedish crowns (about 4 euro) and takes 10 minutes.

The ferry runs every 15 or 20 minutes.

From Vasamuseum you take a short walk to outside the amusementpark "Gröna Lund".

From there you take the ferry to Slussen in Gamla Stan.

It costs 40 Swedish crowns (about 4 euro) and takes 10 minutes.

The ferry runs every 15 or 20 minutes.

Thank you very much! I thought we had to take the HOPO ferry which took an hour to get round and stopped everywhere! I think we wont bother with the 100 crowns travel card then ..:)

We want to take bus 76 from Firhamnan to the Vasa Museum. Is there an ATM at the pier to get local currency and a ticket machine to buy bus tickets?

Thanks in advance

Hello.

I am not shure you can find an ATM at the pier, but it is a ticket machine at the bus stop, there you can pay with Visa and Mastercard.

I'm having an awful time trying to find a good transit map that helps with ferries. I have one that suggests you can ferry from Nybroviken to Skeppsholmen and on to Djurgarden, but cant find much online about that. I'd like the connection from Skeppsholmen to Djurgarden, after which we'd see the Vasa Museum and then head to Gamla stan, which I think I've got figured out. I'd also wonder if the Stockholm card corers any of these trips.

Help!

Hello

Thank you for your offer of help!

I am traveling with my well-traveled 9 and 11 year old. They enjoy museums, trying new foods and new cultures, but at the end of the day, they are still children...so attention spans are still around a couple hours.

We are thinking that the HOHO boats will be a great option since the day can be constantly broken up with different things. We are staying in Stockholm 2 nights before our cruise and 1 night after. We were thinking of a museum...which is better for curious children? Vasa or Skansen (sorry for spelling)? Is the changing of the guard worth it? And what exactly is a smorgesborg and where do we experience one? We thought grona lund would be a nice stop as well since we can spend a couple hours there to break up the day.

Except for the major points on the HOHO boat, what should we bring our children to? We have but one chance to experience your beautiful country and want to show our kids the distinct culture and why Sweden is special. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!