Does it really take 4 hrs. to go down the Mississippi into the Gulf?

mrsbean1990

I read an earlier post that stated the port

side is the better place for our balcony cabin

(if we can't get aft).

Is this correct?:confused:

:)

If you want to sit on your balcony and view the Vieux Carre (French Quarter) and the "East Bank" after you sail, yes, the port side of the ship is where you want to be. I would never want the stern (after end of the ship) as there is more vibration from the machinery and props. If there are rough seas, there would be more movement on the ship's stern too. My choice would be to get a midships room, as low as possible, on the port side.

Thanks for the info everyone! Whew, by chance we have a cabin port-side! Just booked for Jan. I had no idea it cruised down the Mississippi for so long! Sounds exciting! Wish it would be light, but know it won't be in Jan.

Love CC, one can find out so much stuff! :D

I've sailed from NOLA four times and my fifth will be in October :D. One of my fav parts of the cruise is twisting and turning down the Mississippi. I've always wanted to be there when we entered the Gulf but haven't made it because I'm asleep or in a bar. The thought just occurred to me that THIS time, I can go back to my room, get in my jammies, take a cocktail and a warm blanket out on the balcony and I'll be there when we get there! WOO HOO!

If you could check the Port of New Orleans cruise schedule you could have a possible "rendezvous" with another cruise ship on the Mississippi River!

http://www.portno.com/ (click on cruises and then Cruise Schedule Dates)

The next possible "rendevous" on the Mississippi River would be on November 7, 2010 when Carnival Triumph cruises upriver and crosses paths with Norwegian Spirit which is cruising downriver.

The next possible "rendezvous" of Carnival cruise ships on the Mississippi River would be on November 13, 2011 when Carnival Ecstasy cruises upriver and crosses paths with Carnival Conquest which is cruising downriver.

Here's my video when I was on Carnival Sensation in 2005 cruising upriver back to New Orleans on the last day of our 4 day cruise while Carnival Conquest just started its 7 day cruise. This was exactly 3 weeks before Hurricane Katrina made landfall very near where the two Carnival ships crossed paths in Venice, Louisiana.

Thanks for those links. I am a Louisiana native, but only knew some of those landmarks. I will print out some of that for our next cruise.

I agree that it takes 7-8 hours to fully reach the gulf. The ride down, even with sways, is very calm. But, you'll definately know when you reach the mouth of the river. If I'm asleep, it always wakes me up. I get excited again because I realize what is happening and I can't go back to sleep, so I get up and look out the window/balcony! I LOVE cruising out of New Orleans!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We are going on the Norwegian Spirit for the first time this month and I'm dying to know which shipping channel the ship takes to enter the gulf and can you see when you leave the channel and enter the gulf?

Also, does the Norwegian Spirit have a self-serve ice cream machine on board and if so, where?

It's been a while, but as I recall, there is a soft-serve machine in the buffet, and many times I saw that it was manned by a crew member.

• 4 weeks later...

to Venice/mouth of Mississippi when you can get to Biloxi from Baton Rouge in 90 minutes! I've been hesitant to cruise out of NO even though I live an hour away because of how long I knew it must take to get to the Gulf and I've seen the "scenic river views" plenty of times in my 57 years driving along the levee, crossing the river on a ferry too many times to count, or on one of the NO riverboats but after reading some of the reviews, I think I want to cruise out of NO. After all, it IS the city of my birth! :)

• 7 months later...

Archived