Excursions for Grand Turk, any suggestions

Guava26

Even if you don't scuba the reefs are supposed to be wonderful.

We are going to be there in October and we are planning to take a snorkling excursion and spend the rest of the time on the beach.

we were in Grand Turk in April. we planned a fishing trip but all water activities were cancelled due to high winds. If you cant do anything related to water there is nothing to do in Grand Turk except hang out at Margaritaville in the cruise center. the island is still trying to recover from a hurricane that destroyed most of the island last year. took a taxi to "downtown" what a joke, hopped in the next taxi back to cruise center. from the docks you can walk down the beach on the right side to get away from the crowds. lot of horses , dogs and mules running loose on the island. good luck

Last year (Feb., Mar.?) I went on the horseback ride on the coast and then into the ocean...it was a lot of fun. On the way back to the ship I used the pool at Margueritaville. A very successful day on Grand Turk, for sure.

:p we spent the day at grand turk inn. Private beach,snorkle gear, changing rooms, lunch, and bicycles all included for the price. Owned by 2 australian sisters. Had a lovely day. Check it out on ports of call board, must reserve. They don't take lots of people; a nice quiet "colonial" day.

As an earlier poster suggested, it is a good idea to search the threads for things to do in Grand Turk, as everyone's idea of fun can be different. My family and I had a fabulous time on the island when we visited last August (right before the hurricane). Our idea of fun is to get off the beaten path and explore the "non-touristy" areas (when it is safe to do so). Travelling was: DH and myself, our son (10 at the time) and my dad (late 60's).

Before our cruise, I found a thread on CC about a guy named Nathan that rents golf carts. We rented 1 cart for the 4 of us ($80) and we had a blast! The island is small and has only 1 main paved road and many unpaved side roads. We were in port from 8 am until 2 pm. It was a hot and sunny day, so we packed bottled water and swim-suits in our backpack. We drove the entire paved road and more than half of the unpaved roads (and had fun getting stuck in the sand a time or two). We were overwhelmed by the number of islanders who waved and yelled "hello" to us. We got lost trying to find the lighthouse, but I saw this guy in a very beat up pick-up truck approaching us from a side road. My DH got a little nervous when I waved him over to ask for directions (his music was blaring and he looked kind of intimidating with long dread-locks). Well, he was very nice!!! He told us we were headed in the wrong direction and said we could follow him to the road that went to the lighthouse (which also made DH a little nervous). Well, he did lead us to the correct road, and waved good-bye and told us to have a great day. The locals are so happy to have tourists in port that they go out of their way for you. I think only 800 people live on the island full-time. No worries!

If this type of adventure is for you, search the threads for Nathan and you will surely find the info you need. If you drive around Grand Turk, be sure to look out for a tiny beach with a large sign that declares "national park". We were the only people in the small, beautiful cove. We swam for about an hour and wished we had snorkel gear, because there were tropical fish everywhere! There is (or at least there was before the hurricane) a clean restroom where you can change into your bathing suit. There is (or was) a house right beside the beach that is actually a small bar/restaurant. They didn't speak english, but when I held up my $20 bill and said "2 Corona's and 2 Sprite's, please", they knew exactly what I wanted! LOL! There are many more wondrous sights you will see, but I don't want to ruin the surprise. You will just have to see them for yourself!

We can't say enough about the natural beauty of the island. Very rugged and desolate, but with the kindest inhabitants anywhere in the Caribbean. And, yes, there are wild horses, donkeys, goats and dogs roaming the island, but we thought they added to the charm. Our son still loves to tell everyone that we even let him drive the golf cart a while, and he didn't crash into anything!

BTW - we did all of this and still had time to get appetizers and drink a Land Shark beer at Margaritaville. Everyone was pretty drunk by that time of day (they were just starting the "wet t-shirt contest"), so we took our son upstairs to eat, away from the crowd, the "view" and the noise. :)

We hope you enjoy your day in Grand Turk as much as we did!

We took a taxi down to Bohio Beach resort. It was nice and quiet, off shore snorkeling and a little beach bar (drinks and food). Taxi back to the port and hung out a Magaritaville - crazy crowded.

The taxi driver gave us a little mini tour on the way to Bohio.

:p we spent the day at grand turk inn. Private beach,snorkle gear, changing rooms, lunch, and bicycles all included for the price. Owned by 2 australian sisters. Had a lovely day. Check it out on ports of call board, must reserve. They don't take lots of people; a nice quiet "colonial" day.

I think we'd like to do this. Is the Inn far from the dock?

Last March, we spent some time at the Margaritaville pool which was okay but maybe we'd enjoy Grand Turk Inn more. We were at Grand Turk the day after a large storm had washed a lot of debris ashore onto the beach so it wasn't in great shape. I'm sure they got it cleaned up pretty fast but too late for us.

I think we'd like to do this. Is the Inn far from the dock?

Last March, we spent some time at the Margaritaville pool which was okay but maybe we'd enjoy Grand Turk Inn more. We were at Grand Turk the day after a large storm had washed a lot of debris ashore onto the beach so it wasn't in great shape. I'm sure they got it cleaned up pretty fast but too late for us.

We got a group of 14 together in March 08 and reserved the day at the Inn. We all took taxis, $5.00 pp to transport us, about a 10 min trip. The sisters were great hostesses and served a beautiful lunch. We had a small private beach to use, snorkel gear and flotation gear. They don't serve alcohol but you are welcome to BYOB if you wish. No children are allowed. Was a great day that we all enjoyed away from the crowds at the pier.

Archived