Can you buy Tim Tams in USA?

We will be in Vancouver on September 21st. Is there a London Drugs near the port or easily accessible by the "hop on hop off" bus? You guys have piqued my curiosity and I am now inclined to purchase Tim Tams.

I've seen them at Urban Fare in Vancouver which is closer to the port. London Drugs is a bit of hike, but not sure where the Hop on/off bus goes. It's on the corner of Seymour and Georgia.

YES! I can confirm...Tim Tams are availabe in Vancouver! We had a lovely couple who brought us some Tim Tams from Australia on our last cruise. We LOVED it! Two weeks ago, I was at a place called "London Drugs" and was suprised they had them. Of course, we couldn't resist buying a bunch!

I'm not sure how much they are in Australia, but in Vancouver, they are $3.79 each.

I have seen them at Real Canadian Super Stores for $2.99 and Thrifty's for $3.99 (reg) to $2.50 (sale price.....I am munching on one right now:D

Thanks everyone for your input. DH & I have worked out that because we are staying in FL for a night we only need a change of clothing in our carryons. We will use one for our clothes etc and the other we can stuff with Tim Tams' date=' Darrell Lea Licorice and chocolate bullets, my green tea (they seem to only have Lipton on board)and of course vegemite.

If I hadn't asked the question I wouldn't have known that you can take them into the USA. In Australia quarantine is soooo strict I wouldn't even attempt it. Your reassurance is great, I am going to bring my own.

Thank you.

I am glad also that a few of you have now tried our Tim Tams and like them. Now, if we could just get you to like our vegemite..........[/quote']

Just a word of warning, watch the vegemite as it is considered a liquid and you may find out as my daughter did that they will take it off you at the airport. She was really annoyed as she had spent an hour running around London to get it especially for her sister who is on a ship and has been away since Feb. What is worse she only wanted to take it to Ireland.

This is good' date=' I didn't know if you could bring them into the USA. Now that I know you can I will bring a supply with me. I am sure they will all be eaten before we get off the cruise so it is good to know that if need be we can get some in LA for the week we will be there.

You don't like tim tams, tequilatamm? I thought for sure that is how you got your name. Tim Tams and tequila now that would be a good combination!!! :D Who wants to try it?[/quote']

Oh my! Doing the Tim Tam Slam in Taquila instead of Tea:eek:. I'm sure by the time you got to the bottom of the cup of hot Taquila, you'd learn to love Tim Tams:D

Now' date=' if we could just get you to like our vegemite..........[/quote']

Just tried the new yet-to-be-named "Vegemite". Was prejudiced against it before tasting, but after...yum. That one might possibly make the leap to become an American favourite too. It is less salty-tasting, much more mellow than the original. Give it a go, tequilatamm. Might take a jar for my US-based son & family when we visit later this year, now I know we can.

.... As for chocolate bullets, B & C's mum, I sure did miss them when we lived in the US. Wise to take your own if deprivation will cause you pain. Do try some American delicacies too - would recommend peanut butter cups and White Fudge Oreos myself. (But limit consumption, both are very sweet) Anyone else recommend some not-to-be-missed US snacks?

We will be in Vancouver on September 21st. Is there a London Drugs near the port or easily accessible by the "hop on hop off" bus? You guys have piqued my curiosity and I am now inclined to purchase Tim Tams.

There's a London Drugs near Pacific Centre mall on Granville street and West Georgia street.

Just a word of warning, watch the vegemite as it is considered a liquid and you may find out as my daughter did that they will take it off you at the airport. She was really annoyed as she had spent an hour running around London to get it especially for her sister who is on a ship and has been away since Feb. What is worse she only wanted to take it to Ireland.

How could you call vegemite liquid! Sometimes I wonder about some Pommies!!!!!!

Luckily the yanks are a bit more informed apparently.

Edited by Billy and Charlie's Mum

Just tried the new yet-to-be-named "Vegemite". Was prejudiced against it before tasting, but after...yum. That one might possibly make the leap to become an American favourite too. It is less salty-tasting, much more mellow than the original. Give it a go, tequilatamm. Might take a jar for my US-based son & family when we visit later this year, now I know we can.

.... As for chocolate bullets, B & C's mum, I sure did miss them when we lived in the US. Wise to take your own if deprivation will cause you pain. Do try some American delicacies too - would recommend peanut butter cups and White Fudge Oreos myself. (But limit consumption, both are very sweet) Anyone else recommend some not-to-be-missed US snacks?

I have actually tried all those Hershey chocolates and oreos. I used to work as a sales rep for Red Tulip many years ago when they first tried to introduce them to the australian market. Total flop. But that was in the 80's and people are a bit more inclined to try something new these days.

I can't say I was particularly enarmoured of them myself.

How could you call vegemite liquid! Sometimes I wonder about some Pommies!!!!!!

Luckily the yanks are a bit more informed apparently.

Hey - less of the 'pommie':mad:

Have to agree that no way can vegemite be classed as a liquid but why did they not put in in their checked luggage - with that thick glass it would not break - and how big was the jar - you are allowed 100ml. Never tasted vegemite but DD says it is similar to, but not as nice as, our Marmite - don't like that very much though, Bovril is much tastier.

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

Hey - less of the 'pommie':mad:

Have to agree that no way can vegemite be classed as a liquid but why did they not put in in their checked luggage - with that thick glass it would not break - and how big was the jar - you are allowed 100ml. Never tasted vegemite but DD says it is similar to, but not as nice as, our Marmite - don't like that very much though, Bovril is much tastier.

Oops, sorry Dorset - present company excluded LOL :eek:

You can get vegemite in plastic squeeze tubes for travelling so there is no risk of getting vegemite all through the luggage.

I have actually tried all those Hershey chocolates and oreos. I used to work as a sales rep for Red Tulip many years ago when they first tried to introduce them to the australian market. Total flop. But that was in the 80's and people are a bit more inclined to try something new these days.

I can't say I was particularly enarmoured of them myself.

There's something about the peanut butter cups..but then, after all those years I lived in the US, I enjoy the odd peanut butter and jam sandwich. Something I thought I would never do.

I wonder if Vegemite in checked luggage would look odd to the TSA screeners?

Oops' date=' sorry Dorset - present company excluded LOL :eek:

You can get vegemite in plastic squeeze tubes for travelling so there is no risk of getting vegemite all through the luggage.[/quote']

I was only joking - I know we are thought of as 'whinging poms' to a lot of Aussies - can't imagine why:p

You can also get our Marmite in a plastic squeezy jar.

As to peanut butter thingies - DD and SIL are also addicted to Peanut Butter M&Ms which we don't seem to be able to buy in the UK. Whenever we see them in the States we buy them a large supply. Again, not to my taste although I love the actual Peanut M&Ms.

I was only joking - I know we are thought of as 'whinging poms' to a lot of Aussies - can't imagine why:p

You can also get our Marmite in a plastic squeezy jar.

As to peanut butter thingies - DD and SIL are also addicted to Peanut Butter M&Ms which we don't seem to be able to buy in the UK. Whenever we see them in the States we buy them a large supply. Again, not to my taste although I love the actual Peanut M&Ms.

Yeah seems to me that Americans have a real love affair with peanut butter, and they talk about Australians and vegemite.

Peanut butter M & M's ???? I think I will pass on that one.

We were told that the difference is in the chocolate as well - it is formulated so as not to melt so easily - we do not get such hot weather in the UK as they do in Australia/NZ. I don't think it is anything to do with the milk - we have lots of nice green countryside as well for our cows to graze on:D

Well, I know down here in Australia, UK chocolate is known to be very rich, creamy chocolate, and everyone here seems to adore it!

It certainly is a lot more luxurious than the crappy chocolate I grew up with in the US! Before Americans start flaming me for that comment, let me also mention that I LOVE reeses and M&Ms and Hershey's miniatures, and nestle chocolate chips, etc. etc.

My husband always calls American chocolate "crappy", but it's actually just coarser with more cocoa in it generally, I think, and perhaps less milk.

My mother, on the other hand, thinks that UK chocolate tastes "musty" and "too creamy", so I think it's just whatever you are accustomed to, the other stuff doesn't taste quite right to you!

I've learned to like them all in their own ways.

Aussie chocolate seems to sit somewhere right in the middle between US and UK chocolate.

Just a quick question. What is a pommie?

My favorite sandwich is peanut butter and marshmallow. It is called a Fluffernutter. Yum!

Vette

"Pommie" or "Pom" is a slang term used to refer to British people by our Australian friends. Not sure of its origin, though? :confused:

Just wondering if anyone has seen Arnotts Tim Tams for sale in USA - specifically Fort Lauderdale or Los Angeles?

Would love to buy some before we get on the ship or get some in LA for the week we will be spending there. My DH just loves Tim Tams with a cup of coffee. I don't think you can bring them in from australia.

Ok my curiosity forced me to google Tim Tams. They sound delicious & as a bit of trivia they are named after a horse that ran in the Kentucky Derby in 1958. At the about Australia shop they have recipes so I'll be on the lookout for them when I'm in a store that has lots of import stuff.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Just a quick question. What is a pommie?

My favorite sandwich is peanut butter and marshmallow. It is called a Fluffernutter. Yum!

Vette

It comes from the initials of the term Prisoners of Mother England referring to the convicts who were sent over from the UK to 'settle' in Australia. Don't know why we are called whinging, perhaps because we moan about the flies:D

Well, I know down here in Australia, UK chocolate is known to be very rich, creamy chocolate, and everyone here seems to adore it!

It certainly is a lot more luxurious than the crappy chocolate I grew up with in the US! Before Americans start flaming me for that comment, let me also mention that I LOVE reeses and M&Ms and Hershey's miniatures, and nestle chocolate chips, etc. etc.

My husband always calls American chocolate "crappy", but it's actually just coarser with more cocoa in it generally, I think, and perhaps less milk.

My mother, on the other hand, thinks that UK chocolate tastes "musty" and "too creamy", so I think it's just whatever you are accustomed to, the other stuff doesn't taste quite right to you!

I've learned to like them all in their own ways.

Aussie chocolate seems to sit somewhere right in the middle between US and UK chocolate.

UK chocolate is the best, especially Cadburys, but it is closely followed by Belgian chocolate - if you go there you have to try their fresh cream filled chocolates - heavenly:D

Just wondering if anyone has seen Arnotts Tim Tams for sale in USA - specifically Fort Lauderdale or Los Angeles?

Would love to buy some before we get on the ship or get some in LA for the week we will be spending there. My DH just loves Tim Tams with a cup of coffee. I don't think you can bring them in from australia.

I've never seen Tim Tams untill I recently traveled to OZ, now I miss them. As far as I know, they are not available here unless there is some specialty store. Bring them with you.

UK chocolate is the best, especially Cadburys, but it is closely followed by Belgian chocolate - if you go there you have to try their fresh cream filled chocolates - heavenly:D

I owe all my extra weight to Cadburys which quite a few years ago was my main source of carbohydrate. I lived on that stuff! Yes, I did give it up; cold turkey. ;) But there are still some annoying pounds left which are totally attributed to this best chocolate in the world! :)

I owe all my extra weight to Cadburys which quite a few years ago was my main source of carbohydrate. I lived on that stuff! Yes, I did give it up; cold turkey. ;) But there are still some annoying pounds left which are totally attributed to this best chocolate in the world! :)

I could never willingly give up Cadburys:eek: Admittedly I do not eat as much as I used to, but a small bar every now and then - mmmmmm. My SIL has to have his stash in the refrigerator and when we stay with them, I usually pay his stash a visit:D DH has just been diagnosed borderline type 2 diabetes so I think we are going to have to try to give up the chocolate altogether - I am sure diabetic chocolate will not hit the spot.

We are so lucky living in Canada cause we get UK Cadbury chocolate AND Tim Tams. I am addicted to UK Cadbury Caramel bars and the milk chocolate with the Crunchie bits added to it. I have four large bars of each hidden in the house :rolleyes:

I dislike the Canadian/US version of chocolate cause it has way to much wax in it, that said, at Halloween, I eat so many of those mini Crispy Crunch chocolate bars...:mad:

I find if I have it then I am inclined to eat far less of it, that said, if we have a good cab open and a couple of glasses leftover after dinner, we LOVE UK Cadbury chocolate with a glass of good red wine :D

We are so lucky living in Canada cause we get UK Cadbury chocolate AND Tim Tams. I am addicted to UK Cadbury Caramel bars and the milk chocolate with the Crunchie bits added to it. I have four large bars of each hidden in the house :rolleyes:

I dislike the Canadian/US version of chocolate cause it has way to much wax in it, that said, at Halloween, I eat so many of those mini Crispy Crunch chocolate bars...:mad:

I find if I have it then I am inclined to eat far less of it, that said, if we have a good cab open and a couple of glasses leftover after dinner, we LOVE UK Cadbury chocolate with a glass of good red wine :D

Wherever and whenever we meet up with our Canadian cousins, we always have to take a few packets of Cadburys Eclairs - toffees filled with chocolate - they say they have difficulty getting them out there. They live on the island as well in Duncan - our next big holiday is a few weeks with them next year, starting with the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver, a few weeks on the island and then finishing with an Alaska cruise - can't wait. We'll be taking the Cadbury Eclairs with us:D