Need Your Help - Kinda Last Minute! Carnival Victory July 12th, 2009

First off Hello to Everyone...I just joined this wonderful community today after I cam across it and was hoping anyone out there can lend me a helping hand.

My family and I are traveling on the Victory on July 12th from San Juan. Its our first time on Carnival and I have cruised before on NCL and Royal Caribbean.

1. What tours should we book or can we just "wing" it when coming off the ship? What tour companies should I look out for and what excursions should we not miss out on - Please I really need your help here

2. Any tips and advice for the ship? Can you point me to any reviews that might be helpful.- I know I am asking for a lot but this is very last minute, and my family is coming from India tomorrow for the cruise...

3. Should we bring booze from DC or buy it in San Juan???

4. Which islands should we really make sure we get off the boat early and see fully vs which ones can we wake up a bit later and see a little less?

5. What activities on the ship do you recommend we check out?

6. Which are the best beaches to visit on each of the 6 islands? We all want to snorkel once and was hoping we could learn for you the best island and spot to do it in.

Sorry if this is a bit much....I am truly asking for a lot here and I know it, and appreciate from the bottom of my heart if any of you can give us advice and guidance on the above questions...

Tell us where the ship is going and we can help you out.

Don't bring booze from home. You are only allowed two bottles of wine on Carnival.

But you might want to purchase some local rum for your personal consumption while in San Juan!:p

First off Hello to Everyone...I just joined this wonderful community today after I cam across it and was hoping anyone out there can lend me a helping hand.

My family and I are traveling on the Victory on July 12th from San Juan. Its our first time on Carnival and I have cruised before on NCL and Royal Caribbean.

1. What tours should we book or can we just "wing" it when coming off the ship? What tour companies should I look out for and what excursions should we not miss out on - Please I really need your help here

2. Any tips and advice for the ship? Can you point me to any reviews that might be helpful.- I know I am asking for a lot but this is very last minute, and my family is coming from India tomorrow for the cruise...

3. Should we bring booze from DC or buy it in San Juan???

4. Which islands should we really make sure we get off the boat early and see fully vs which ones can we wake up a bit later and see a little less?

5. What activities on the ship do you recommend we check out?

6. Which are the best beaches to visit on each of the 6 islands? We all want to snorkel once and was hoping we could learn for you the best island and spot to do it in.

Sorry if this is a bit much....I am truly asking for a lot here and I know it, and appreciate from the bottom of my heart if any of you can give us advice and guidance on the above questions...

Since you know the itinerary, go to the ports of call board and read the answers to all your questions there for each island you visit.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

This was an AMAZING cruise, and you'll love it!

Go to the ports of call boards to get a really good overview of the things you can do in each port. There are so many, but even spending a few hours right now could help you out.

St. Thomas - Magen's Bay Beach is great, you can do it as an excursion booked on the ship, or get a taxi when you get off the ship

Dominica - AMAZING island - take a tour. I went through www.bumpiingtours.com and had a fantastic day hiking and exploring

Barbados - we did a helicopter tour. I'm sure there are lots of beautiful beaches

St. Lucia - AMAZING island. More beautiful beaches, I'm sure. I did Land and Sea combo to Soufriere through Carnival, and loved it. A full day.

Antigua - I did a snorkel/kayak tour. Not our favourite island

St. Kitts - a really beautiful island! We took the St. Kitts Scenic Rail tour which was booked through Carnival. It was a cool train tour that covered most of the island.

At this point, if I were you, if you want to to beaches at the ports, I would look at the shore excursion book onboard, and book the beach trips you want. I find that at the shore excursion talk, the cruise director will usually stick around, and I've asked which ports were ok to get off and look for your own taxi, they are very good about it.

The Victory is a lovely ship - my favourite so far. I think your family will have a terrific time!

For me, Barbados and Antigua were definitely the ports that I didn't feel I needed a lot of time at.

In San Juan you can buy booze at the duty free after checking in. Make sure you have a carryon to put it in. They will not let you carry it in the bag from the shop. We were on the Victory last Nov. This is the only port you can do this. I don't know why it is allowed there it just is.

Thanks guys for all the tips so far..I am so looking forward to this cruise...

Keep em coming, any more help is greatly appreciated so thanks again!

Kunal

Have a great trip. Looking to book her for February 2010. Would really love a review upon your return and maybe some pictures too!

Ok I know I've left it tot he last minute but I'm really concerned that we have not booked any tours yet. Can anyone give us advice to what the best tours and which tour companies we should try to book with for each island and what we should see.

Also where are the best beaches on the respective islands??

Thanks guys and gals for any info.

Toggerman..Loved your review thank you so much and to everyone else that has replied.

My only question now is, can we wait till we get off the cruise at each indivudal port to then book a tour or excursion with an independent tour operator or should we book now before we leave the US?

Toggerman..Loved your review thank you so much and to everyone else that has replied.

My only question now is, can we wait till we get off the cruise at each indivudal port to then book a tour or excursion with an independent tour operator or should we book now before we leave the US?

We are going to make individual tours when we get to St. Thomas, Dominica, St.Lucia, and Antigua.

We only booked tours for Barbados and St.Kitts

Sometimes it's easier to do to book at the port.

We have been on the Victory and really enjoyed this ship but it didnt go out of San Juan that was our Destiny cruise. Yes you can buy your booze right at the pier. They will have you go right by the shop where there will be samples and all types of encouragment to buy the liquor and this is right in the corridor on your way to the ship you have to pass it! I would recommend putting the liquor in a bag and carrying it on and as you walk by the guy sitting at the "empty" table who wants you to check in your liquor just smile and walk on by and that is it.

As far as the islands I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE DOminica. It is like an island that is still untouched. We did a whale watch through Carnival and it was well worth it. Barbados we did a Party Boat and they took us to a beach but I cannot remember the name, also through Carnival. At Barbados you have to walk a pier or take a shuttle depending on where the ship docks. It is a very long pier. I hope you have a great time i know we enjoyed this ship and the ports!

Yes. When you get off the ship at each port there will be LOTS of

people with vans etc offering tours and excursions. Look at the ports

of call boards to get some idea of what you want to do. Some of the

islands have specific attractions that you might want to see and you

CAN make a deal right at the ports for private tours...........which we

found to be cheaper in some cases than booking ahead. Also, you

can dicker with them.

We loved the Victory and the islands. Very port intensive. We are

probably your parents age so we just did our tours/excursions in the

morning and were back on board by 1 or 2 in the afternoon..... for

some pool time and nap before dinner.

Enjoy your cruise.

Here are my favorites for these ports:

St. Thomas: snorkeling with Rumbaba Charters

http://rumbabacharters.com/

Barbados: snorkeling with Silver Moon

http://www.silvermoonbarbados.com/htdocs/contact/index.html

St. Lucia: tour of the island with Cosol

http://cosol-tours.com/

St. Kitts: we did a catamaran snorkeling there, but can't remember who with. Found it on the ports of call boards.

Antigua: spend the day at the Grand Pineapple Resort, they sell day passes to cruise ship passengers; you will have to get your own way there. I can't remember who we booked with for that, but we reserved that in advance, too.

You can find more info about these and any other private tours on the ports of call boards for each of these ports.

Again thanks to everryone who has contributed to this thread....I am going to take some of your suggestions and book some excursions at the port and some ahead. Takes for the booze tip...will not carry from DC.

Now who else from here is going with us on the cruise..would love to meet up and say hello.

I love this board!

Here are my favorites for these ports:

St. Thomas: snorkeling with Rumbaba Charters

http://rumbabacharters.com/

Barbados: snorkeling with Silver Moon

http://www.silvermoonbarbados.com/htdocs/contact/index.html

St. Lucia: tour of the island with Cosol

http://cosol-tours.com/

St. Kitts: we did a catamaran snorkeling there, but can't remember who with. Found it on the ports of call boards.

Antigua: spend the day at the Grand Pineapple Resort, they sell day passes to cruise ship passengers; you will have to get your own way there. I can't remember who we booked with for that, but we reserved that in advance, too.

You can find more info about these and any other private tours on the ports of call boards for each of these ports.

The Grand Pineapple Resort looks absolutely luscious. When did you visit the resort? Do you recall the "day pass" price? Also, about how far from the port was the resort? Sorry, for shooting all the questions at you, but I am very interested in visiting when we dock in Antigua in February. Thanks, in advance, for the info.

The Grand Pineapple Resort looks absolutely luscious. When did you visit the resort? Do you recall the "day pass" price? Also, about how far from the port was the resort? Sorry, for shooting all the questions at you, but I am very interested in visiting when we dock in Antigua in February. Thanks, in advance, for the info.

We were there two years ago and the day pass was $49.99 pp. We booked by e-mail and paid when we got there. Some other couples on our roll call went with us and they booked the guy who picked us up at the ship. When he dropped us off we told him to pick up us around 4:00; he did and took us on a tour around the island before dropping us off at the ship. The pictures of Devil's Ridge were part of that tour if you're looking at my Destiny pictures.

It was the perfect day...it was our last port on a port intensive itinerary and it was nice to relax and do nothing. I had a lot more pictures, but unfortunately accidentally deleted them and had to get some from my website to put back and didn't have nearly as many there.

I think it's been bought out by Sandals Resorts, but they may still do the day pass.

Now who else from here is going with us on the cruise..would love to meet up and say hello.

Go to the Roll Call boards and find your ship, look for a roll call for your sailing...if you don't see one, you can start one!

Archived