Really Dumb Question

The windjammer is the buffet, not extra $$$. What is extra is the speciality restaurants like Chops, a steak place if you want to eat a little more upscale than what the dining room offers. Johnny Rockets might be on your ship, its a flat $4.95 for food, ice cream shakes are extra.

Cokes and soda are extra. you can buy a soda card, but rarely worth it unless you drink at least 3 a day. Mixed drinks, wine and beer is extra.

I like to eat in the dining room at least a few times for breakfast and lunch, its free, but usually on sea days, not offered I think on port days.

If you have a promenade, the cafe is free and its great, pizza hot and fresh and lots of cookies and desserts, all free.

The dining room AND buffet are included in your fare. Some folks just love buffets and the choices....so they eat there every meal. (i'm not a buffet fan, and we eat in the dining room for almost every meal). It's your choice!

If your ship has a Portofino or Chops, Johnny Rockets or Ben and Jerry's, those will have a "surcharge"....you don't HAVE to use them if you don't want to.

You can go the entire cruise and never pay an extra cent for food!

Soda and alcohol will ALWAYS cost extra.

Which ship will you be sailing? If it is Oasis, there will be even more places that have a charge.

As to why some people prefer the Windjammer buffet to the main dining room, one reason could be that you can go when you want and sit where you want. In the main dining room you are assigned a time and a table and sit there every night. You may be at a table with one, two, three or even more other couples. There are tables for two, but they are hard to get.

With the new My Time Dining Plan, your tips are automatically charged to your account and you can go to the dining room almost anytime it is open. That way, you will be at a different table each time you show up at the MDR.

Dinner in the buffet is a good option on those nights you do not feel like dressing up. Another option, of course, is room service which is free except late at night. You will have to tip the person who brings your order.

Archived