Question for UK ladies..

....about plug conversion in France.

I wasn't sure where to post this question. My daughter will be spending time in both London and France (coming from US) and are trying to figure out the best solution for a flat iron.

I thought maybe it would just be easiest to purchase a 220v unit online (UK version) so she doesn't have to worry about the whole voltage thing, but then what should I know about find the correct adapter for her to use in France. Does it have to be grounded, ungrounded, etc.?? Where would be a good place to find that?

Thanks!!

I don't know if this will help, but why you don't try an universal travel adapter, it is sell in most of the electronic stores, even Walmart offers the product. You can search online and see wich stores have them. I bought my in RadioShack, more than 4 yers ago, it will have differents plugs and inlets for differents countries so it can be used in a lot of places, instead of buying one for an specific country. You can always ask for advise in the store too.

....about plug conversion in France.

I wasn't sure where to post this question. My daughter will be spending time in both London and France (coming from US) and are trying to figure out the best solution for a flat iron.

I thought maybe it would just be easiest to purchase a 220v unit online (UK version) so she doesn't have to worry about the whole voltage thing, but then what should I know about find the correct adapter for her to use in France. Does it have to be grounded, ungrounded, etc.?? Where would be a good place to find that?

Thanks!!

Best to buy an iron which can take 100-250v and 50/60hz.

Best to buy an iron which can take 100-250v and 50/60hz.

Sorry, I gave you the wrong information:o, the universal adapter that I have is for my camera charges, which have the voltage and frecuency ranges described above. It won't convert the voltage. So better to buy the iron with the right voltage range and have the adapter for the connector plug, because it is different in USA and Europe.

Sorry, I gave you the wrong information:o, the universal adapter that I have is for my camera charges, which have the voltage and frecuency ranges described above. It won't convert the voltage. So better to buy the iron with the right voltage range and have the adapter for the connector plug, because it is different in USA and Europe.

There are irons available which not only take any voltage but also have adapters for different countries.

Thank you for the replies... Some of her friends that been on that trip in the years previous seemed to have a lot of trouble even with the 110/220 converters they were burning up their appliances, leaving them without for duration of their trip.

The girls who took a dual voltage flat iron were frustrated that it wouldn't get hot enough.

That's how I came to the conclusion it may just be easiest to have one that we KNOW will work on the UK/France current...

Just not sure about what she needs to make it work when she gets her UK iron to France...

Better to buy the converter in the UK too then as she will need one that takes our three pin progs and then as we all do when go to Europe just plug the UK plug into the two round pin European converter. She needs to go to a store such as Currys , Comet or Argos and she will get the flat iron and the converter there.

In theory the dual voltage ones should be fine...but buying a product designed for 220/240V is the safest route. Putting 220V across something designed for 110V might well make it blow (amps = volts/ resistance, and the resistance won't change, so the current will be about doubled...and power (watts) = volts x amps, so that gets much higher than intended...in reverse you can see why my straighteners don't get very hot in the US).

Anyway - you already worked that out, and asked how to make UK straighteners work in France (I think). French plugs have 2 round pins, and from memory I think the sockets have two holes for these plus a round pin sticking out, which is the earth (Google it if you want to be sure) - try going to Amazon.co.uk and searching for 'UK France adaptor'. This link shows something that looks a lot like what you are looking for to plug a UK plug into a French socket...I hope that's what you were looking for

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Continental-UK-to-Europe/dp/B000WOOZOQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247254963&sr=8-14

Better to buy the converter in the UK too then as she will need one that takes our three pin progs and then as we all do when go to Europe just plug the UK plug into the two round pin European converter. She needs to go to a store such as Currys , Comet or Argos and she will get the flat iron and the converter there.

She will be traveling with a school group, very fast-paced, with little time to go to an actual store to purchase a flat iron for herself.

So my main curiousity is what you mentioned about the 2 prong adapter... The outlets pictured in France have a two female holes (which look similar to the European outlet) but also have a male prong just above those. Will just a 2 prong adapter work on the UK iron, or does it have to be a specific adapter to accomodate the third male pin, as well??? I hope that makes sense...

She will be traveling with a school group, very fast-paced, with little time to go to an actual store to purchase a flat iron for herself.

So my main curiousity is what you mentioned about the 2 prong adapter... The outlets pictured in France have a two female holes (which look similar to the European outlet) but also have a male prong just above those. Will just a 2 prong adapter work on the UK iron, or does it have to be a specific adapter to accomodate the third male pin, as well??? I hope that makes sense...

Western Europe are all the same so what works in France will work in Spain and so on.

The 2 prong adapter will have a hole for the male pin that is on the outlet on the wall.

I have two adapters I use for travel where-ever I go- European one and an US one- if i ever go further afield I'll have to add to them.

This pic is better- you can see the hole

http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Europe-Travel-Adaptor-pr-16520.html

The two pin adaptors have two female and one male so will accommodate the male part of the socket - I can't find a decent photo to link to, but I have looked at my fairly average adaptor used many times in France, and does. The univeral UK - EUrope adaptors should work fine, and one that specifically says France should be an even better bet.

Hope she enjoys France - I love the place.

Western Europe are all the same so what works in France will work in Spain and so on.

The 2 prong adapter will have a hole for the male pin that is on the outlet on the wall.

I have two adapters I use for travel where-ever I go- European one and an US one- if i ever go further afield I'll have to add to them.

This pic is better- you can see the hole

http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Europe-Travel-Adaptor-pr-16520.html

That is precisely the adapter I'm looking for!! I don't know that I would readily find one here stateside before she leaves. Is that something she could find in the Heathrow airport or would her London hotel maybe sell them??

Can someone nswer a question for me on a similar topic? Can I use my GHDs on board or are they banned as a fire hazard?

Yes you can. It would also make sense to buy a heat mat to protect work surfaces. If you haven't got one search ebay and I am sure you will pick one up.

Kimberley

That is precisely the adapter I'm looking for!! I don't know that I would readily find one here stateside before she leaves. Is that something she could find in the Heathrow airport or would her London hotel maybe sell them??

I know they sell them in departures at Heathrow- is she flying on to France? As for hotel- no idea- is it a large hotel-some hotels do have small shops

Try this link, it is RadioShack:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=travel%20adapters&origkw=travel%20adapters&sr=1

Or this one, it is Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11082137

Do a seach for travel adapters, I will go with the universal

Try this link, it is RadioShack:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=travel%20adapters&origkw=travel%20adapters&sr=1

Or this one, it is Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11082137

Do a seach for travel adapters, I will go with the universal

Jeez. For that price, you can get 2 irons :D

Thank you for all the help, ladies!! Today we found a "Li Lique" brand reasonably priced dual voltage unit w/ adjustable temp.

However, it says 110/220v. I thought I had read the UK is 240v. Do you think this unit would be ok? Might it either get too hot or not hot enough??

Archived