Bermuda weather in August

pugaddict

Is it ignorance or what? We are sailing August 9th on the Dawn to Bermuda and when we mention this to people we often get a reaction of "August ! Isn't that hurricane season? I would never go then. Am I the only one that doesn't think it's not a big deal ... I figure that they'll either out run it, sail around it or change the itineray? No big deal, right?

Is it ignorance or what? We are sailing August 9th on the Dawn to Bermuda and when we mention this to people we often get a reaction of "August ! Isn't that hurricane season? I would never go then. Am I the only one that doesn't think it's not a big deal ... I figure that they'll either out run it, sail around it or change the itineray? No big deal, right?

Not to worry we will have smooth seas both ways :D Stop by the roll call for this cruise. We have a nice group joining us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=816054&page=3

We were on a Disney cruise in August 2004 during one of the worst hurricane seasons. It was a Carribean cruise, and we had to dodge several hurricanes in one week! Our itinerary did change, but if the worst thing in life is going to Nassau instead of Grand Cayman, things are not too bad.

Having lived in Charleston, SC FOREVER :-) - we're always "aware" of hurricane season - but you can't postpone life on the "threat" of a hurricane. Luckily, a hurricane isn't like a tornado - it's strike zone is fairly predictable - and, in Charleston, if one pops up near the eastern seaboard, we hear about it for about 2 or 3 weeks prior to anyone being able to say where it's going in... :-) So, book a cruise, plan & enjoy! :-)

Just to show I practice what I preach *LOL* I have a Bermuda cruise booked for September 4-11 - even deeper into hurricane season than August! :-)

I took a cruise last August out out of Port Canaveral. The weather was a bit iffy as we were leaving port, but we had smooth sailing the entire week (Eastern Caribbean). The day after we left port, tropical storm Fay hit, closing the port for several days. My family back home sent me several emails during the week keeping me updated on the weather. By the time we came back to port, it was reopened. We had great weather the entire week, except for about 30 seconds of HEAVY rain as we were leaving St. Thomas. I talked to some of the crew during the week, and they all said that if we were heading into bad weather, the captain would change the course to avoid it. I'm heading to Bermuda on August 28th, and I'm just hoping for good weather. Friends of mine took a cruise to Bermuda a few years ago, and during the first sea day the captain made an announcement saying that the weather in Bermuda was bad, and more bad weather was coming, so they diverted course and went to the Bahamas instead. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

We've sailed there three years in a row in August. First two we had beautiful weather, and a beautiful sailing. Last year, it was a bit rocky for a couple of hours, and we had two days of rain. Missed a hurricane that was close by a week.

Highest month for hurricanes is usually September.

The problem is that should a hurricaine arise you might be diverted from warm, lovely Bermuda to a New England/Canada itinerary and visit places you've probably driven to.

That being said, I adore Bermuda. I hope you get there!

I will be on the same cruise:p this is our 5th cruise in Aug. and have loved everyone of them. Bermuda is hot and the water is wonderful, enjoy!:D I can't wait for 7 nights of no cooking, cleaning, palm trees and relaxing on our favorite island. Better start packing it will be here before we know it:)

Even if there is no hurricane, the mid-atlantic seas can be rough at times. We've been to Bermuda 4 times and only once did we have really rough seas. Do you have any idea how hard it is to walk down the hallway in stilettos while the ship is pitching and rolling?? LOL. I looked like I was drunk and hadn't had a drop! This year, our weather was pretty lousy, but not too much motion. Here's to hoping for smooth seas and sunny skies! :D

Left out of Philly last september when hurricane Hanna was hitting. Embarkation was a little disjointed because of the weather they brought the agents onto the ship to process the passengers so we went from terminal to sit in a lounge and wait to go in and get our S&S cards. Seas were no more rough than the usual to me. Since I usually sail February out of Bayonne and have had 27-28 foot seas this was calm compared to that. Enjoy your cruise.

We have been talking about booking the Spirit to Bermuda for months. We finally booked last week. Everyone that hears that we are sailing in September thinks we are nuts! They all ask us if we know it is hurricane season. I tell them that yes I know....but that we will get diverted if things get rough.....lol. I hope that doesnt happen though. And I hope the weather is not too hot......I dont like the heat. Hubby does though.

We have been talking about booking the Spirit to Bermuda for months. We finally booked last week. Everyone that hears that we are sailing in September thinks we are nuts! They all ask us if we know it is hurricane season. I tell them that yes I know....but that we will get diverted if things get rough.....lol. I hope that doesnt happen though. And I hope the weather is not too hot......I dont like the heat. Hubby does though.

You should have great weather in Bermuda in September. The temps will likely be in the upper 70s to low 80s. And, the water temp at the beaches should be just right. Enjoy!

You should have great weather in Bermuda in September. The temps will likely be in the upper 70s to low 80s. And, the water temp at the beaches should be just right. Enjoy!

Thanks!!! Hubby likes the heat....I like it in the low 70's......I guess I can always find somewhere with a/c on the island if it is hot. :)

Archived