What is the best way to get from central Nice hotel to Monte Carlo port?

margbem

Can anyone advise us with this query, please? We are staying one night pre-cruise in Nice. How much would a taxi cost to Monte Carlo cruise ship port? Is the train a possibility? Thanks for any help!

I am curious about that as well. I've read that the bus is an easy way (and inexpensive) to get to Monte Carlo. But, I have no idea how close it goes to the pier, or how to get from the depot to the ship.

The question is a good one and the answer not so good. Without luggage you could simply take the bus from MC to Nice. You would get the bus at the Nice Gare Routiere (bus station) and the local bus would drop you about a 10 min walk to the pier. The express bus would drop you somewhat further from the port (a good 20 min walk). However, that is not a good option if you have luggage (we are not even sure if they allow luggage on the public buses). With luggage, you might be better off taking the train from Nice to MC and than grabbing a taxi right to the pier. Taking a taxi from your hotel to the pier will probably cost you at least 80 Euros (taxis are very expensive).

Hank

The trian station is in the centre of Nice and trains run directly to Monte Carlo, at MC station they have call boxes for taxis as well as a bus stop, sorry no idea of the bus routes but we did catch a bus from the station to the hotel owned by David Coulthard (ex F1 driver) the driver was happy to help with routes and stops.

The trian station is in the centre of Nice and trains run directly to Monte Carlo, at MC station they have call boxes for taxis as well as a bus stop, sorry no idea of the bus routes but we did catch a bus from the station to the hotel owned by David Coulthard (ex F1 driver) the driver was happy to help with routes and stops.

We like the buses, but it might not be a good fit for those carrying luggage. Many European buses limit the ability to bring luggage on public buses and we are not sure of the policy in MC. In addition, none of the bus routes would take a passenger to the cruise pier. The nearest stop is just outside the port area and quite a hike to the cruise ship pier if you are carrying luggage. For those that tender, it is a diferent story. Depending on where they dock the tenders the buses may or may not be a decent option. A local taxi from the MC train station to the pier probably makes the most sense if carrying luggage and the cost is probably about 10 - 12 Euros (my educated guess).

Hank

I found a website, raileurope.com, that gives info and pricing for the train. You can also get tickets before leaving the U.S. For those of you who have used the train, do you have to get tickets in advance?

I found a website, raileurope.com, that gives info and pricing for the train. You can also get tickets before leaving the U.S. For those of you who have used the train, do you have to get tickets in advance?

There is no reason to buy tickets for the regional (TER) line that runs between the cities on the Riviera (including Nice to MC). There are no reservations for those trains and there is always room. They are actually more like commuter trains than real trains. Buying tickets in advance will actually cost you more money since RailEurope imposes extra fees. You can buy train tickets for the regional trains at any stop (they have machines and the larger stations have ticket counters) or even on the train from the conductor (this used to cost a few more Euros).

Hank

Archived