Venice Hotels & WHY that hotel

Anubi

DH and I are in the planning stage for a stay of 2 - 3 nights in Venice pre-cruise. Problem is, we don't know WHERE to stay. Rome was a cakewalk next to this, we knew where we wanted to be and found something. But Venice?? :eek: :eek:

We are moderately young, basically healthy and don't mind a walk where we can get lost and soak up the atmosphere. We would like to keep the price under $350 Euros/night. ;)

Can anyone give us ideas, most particularly WHY they stayed at a particular hotel.

Based on review at tripadvisor.com, we've selected the Locanda Orseolo in Venice for the end of this month. All of the reviews were excellent.

Very close to Piazza San Marco (few minutes walk), but in a quiet section and on one of the side canals. Some great rates - our standard room is 170 Euros and that includes breakfast and taxes. Take a look at their website. The rooms look great!!!

We stayed at Locanda Orseolo in May. Great location, great breakfast, very nice rooms, excellent staff! Venice is very walkable though, so just find a hotel you like. We ended up sharing a water taxi to our ship on embarkation day, it was 85 euros, with another couple on our cruise.

We stayed at the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo almost three years ago, also highly-rated on tripadvisor (currently ranked #2). Just a 40-yard walk from the St. Stae vaporetto stop, on a side canal, in a very quiet neighborhood away from the San Marco hubbub, yet just an easy walk. Beautifully restored palazzo, lovely staff, with intimate B&B atmosphere, which we really enjoy. Also, an excellent price for expensive Venice. Many charming restaurants nearby and much help from the staff for your sightseeing and dinner plans.

Just got back from 6/24 cruise on Oosterdam departed from Venice. We arrived couple of days early and stayed at Hotel Bisanzio. It is basically a Best Western hotel, and the quad room we got is actually quite spacious (we are a party of 4). Cold breakfast was included with choices of pastries, breads, yogurt, juices, scramble eggs and bacon, cold cuts and very good coffee and hot chocolate. It is listed as "4 stars" but please keep in mind that European 4 stars is more like US 3 stars. The location is in a quite alley and close to St. Zacharia Vaparetto stop and St. Mark Square. The room was clean and staff very friendly and helpful.

Kevin

We have reserved at Hotel Al Codega. Located between Rialto Bridge and St.Mark's...5 min either way. Located in a quiet courtyard. But close to everything of interest. Gets great reviews on Tripadvisor. Check it out.

Can recommend Hotel Monte Carlo(former Venetian Palace furnished with traditional Venetian furniture which can be quite ornate) - they arranged a water taxi & guide to meet us at the airport and all luggage etc (and us) were well taken care of straight to hotel's small docking area. There is also a front entrance which is about 30 seconds from St. Mark's Square! It is a very pleasant and comfortable hotel with typical Venetian furniture. They responded very quickly to our emails and were very helpful. As I recall we paid the fare for the water taxi direct to the hotel when we checked out. Worth a google and the coast wasn't excessive.

I'm staying at the Gabrielli Sandwerth in 2 weeks time with my nice,

The reasons why we chose this is

14th cdntufy palazzo building

very near St Marks Square

has lagoon views

is one of the view venice hotels to have it's own gardens (where they serve breakfast and dinner by candlelight)

it has a roof top terrace with sun loiungers and even shower facilities

breakfast is complementary

and it looks like it has bags of character and period features

oh yes and my niece liked the pictures and since we are going there for her birthday treat...need I say more!

We arrived at the Locanda Orseolo after our wonderful Rome to Venice Cruise. This was a few years ago, so I have no idea what the rates are. We had been with a group of friends that we met on the first day and we all had passed around a bad cold. We had avoided getting it until the day we got off the boat and arrive at the Hotel. But we were in Venice for the first time! We spent the day with all of our friends exploring and then we all went our separate ways. We ended up here and were exhausted and had kleenex stuffed up our noses and felt terrible! BUT, we had both windows open and had a room overlooking 2 canals. And the gondoliers started coming by, and singing... and playing...and there was a restaurant next door with out door entertainment that sounded like Josh Groban, and all the sounds just wafted in and we just laid there and it was the most romantic night ever! It was wonderful! And we never even moved.

And in the morning the bells from every different church started and it was this huge cacophony of chimes from every cathedral around and the morning deliveries started to arrive of fruits and paper goods. It was a perfect experience!

The last night on our cruise one of our friends said "my cousin said there was a great restaurant in the Academia Section, but I only have the name...do you all want to meet there in 3 days at 8pm?" It was to be our last day in Venice for all of us. So she wrote the name on a piece of paper and handed it out to 4 couples. Our hotels were spread all over and one couple was on a back to back cruise and was staying on the ship that was in port for 4 nights. We had no way to contact each other in the meantime and no way to know if this restaurant even existed...or if we could find it. When that night arrived, my husband and I set out across Venice with our paper in hand towards the Academia area. We crisscrossed Venice and canals and tiny streets until we were in the general area and then started asking people. We got alot of head shaking until finally someone's eyes lit up..aha! and they pointed up some stairs. So we went up the stairs through a bar into a back room and there we found 1 other couple. But eventually we all made it and had 1 last dinner together!

We will never forget Venice. In fact, I don't want to go back yet, it was too perfect!

We arrived at the Locanda Orseolo after our wonderful Rome to Venice Cruise. This was a few years ago, so I have no idea what the rates are. We had been with a group of friends that we met on the first day and we all had passed around a bad cold. We had avoided getting it until the day we got off the boat and arrive at the Hotel. But we were in Venice for the first time! We spent the day with all of our friends exploring and then we all went our separate ways. We ended up here and were exhausted and had kleenex stuffed up our noses and felt terrible! BUT, we had both windows open and had a room overlooking 2 canals. And the gondoliers started coming by, and singing... and playing...and there was a restaurant next door with out door entertainment that sounded like Josh Groban, and all the sounds just wafted in and we just laid there and it was the most romantic night ever! It was wonderful! And we never even moved.

And in the morning the bells from every different church started and it was this huge cacophony of chimes from every cathedral around and the morning deliveries started to arrive of fruits and paper goods. It was a perfect experience! That's the kind of thing we want to hear about!

The last night on our cruise one of our friends said "my cousin said there was a great restaurant in the Academia Section, but I only have the name...do you all want to meet there in 3 days at 8pm?" It was to be our last day in Venice for all of us. So she wrote the name on a piece of paper and handed it out to 4 couples. Our hotels were spread all over and one couple was on a back to back cruise and was staying on the ship that was in port for 4 nights. We had no way to contact each other in the meantime and no way to know if this restaurant even existed...or if we could find it. When that night arrived, my husband and I set out across Venice with our paper in hand towards the Academia area. We crisscrossed Venice and canals and tiny streets until we were in the general area and then started asking people. We got alot of head shaking until finally someone's eyes lit up..aha! and they pointed up some stairs. So we went up the stairs through a bar into a back room and there we found 1 other couple. But eventually we all made it and had 1 last dinner together!

We will never forget Venice. In fact, I don't want to go back yet, it was too perfect!

I just read this same review on another thread. LOL But thanks for adding the bit about the restaurant. Those are the things that we like to hear about, the discoveries!!! ;)

Your description is amazing and I just read it to DH. I think hotel is decided.

Thanks again. :)

Archived