Pepto or Imodium?

Pepto or Imodium?

I know that pepto is for upset stomach, and imodium for diarrhea.

I have only used pepto which seems to work okay for both (at least for me).

I know this is not a pleasant subject, but any opinion?

Reason I am asking, is that I am gathering miscellaneous cruise items for another party, and want to know which is best to include, or perhaps both?

Oh my. Pepto COMPLETELY makes me gag and nauseous, I didn't even know they still made that awful stuff! :eek:

If you want to treat common traveler's diarrhea, then Immodium...or the generic equivalent...is what you want. It does NOT help an upset stomach, though, in fact it can CAUSE one if you "stop" too much of the action, so to speak. :rolleyes:

I personally would skip any Pepto type product and perhaps add something like an antacid (there are tons of those) and maybe an anti-gas product like Gas-X or Phazyme, if you are worried that they might need these items on a cruise.

There is always an opposing opinion. PEPTO is the only stomach medicene that I ever use. I am always checked within half an hour. NEVER travel without it. We do often use the knock-off grocery or Walmart brands tho- same/same just cheaper.

Counting the days till 11/08 cruise on FoS.

djay

Oh my. Pepto COMPLETELY makes me gag and nauseous, I didn't even know they still made that awful stuff! :eek:

If you want to treat common traveler's diarrhea, then Immodium...or the generic equivalent...is what you want. It does NOT help an upset stomach, though, in fact it can CAUSE one if you "stop" too much of the action, so to speak. :rolleyes:

I personally would skip any Pepto type product and perhaps add something like an antacid (there are tons of those) and maybe an anti-gas product like Gas-X or Phazyme, if you are worried that they might need these items on a cruise.

Our pharmacist told me not to take immodium unless the diarrhoea goes on for more than 24 hours. Apparently it's better to sip water for the first 24 hours to flush the bug out of your system. If you take immodium too soon it "stops you up" but in effect this keeps the bug in your system.

Before I was told that, I took it when I had *terrible* diarrhoea and instead I started vomiting uncontrollably. The doctor said afterwards that the bug was going to get out of my body one way or another; since I stopped it getting out one way, it came out of the other!

It's definitely worth having with you but perhaps see if you can flush the bug out first by sipping plenty of fluid (which will also help you stop dehydrating).

:)

Try ginger capsules. They are free of any type of drug so anyone can take them. Start taking the dosage amount 2-3 days before your cruise if you are worried about motion sickness. Take until you get home.

If your nausea, vomiting, etc is caused by norovirus, NOTHING will help you until it runs its course

I use Pepto as a facial masque and I never take it on a cruise. I do bring antacids & Imodium. The recommendation to sip water & flush the bug out is great but when you don't have time to deal with that because you're going to be flying home, you can depend on Imodium to get you home without any issues.....................

Another vote for Immodium. The Immodium complete helps with gas, cramps and diarrhea. It is quick and effective.

Yep, another vote. Thank God I've only had to use it once in all my travels:D Pepto leave a very bad (pink:o) after taste that makes me feel worse. If you take too much, your tongue turns dark:eek:

Good luck with whichever you choose;)

Tums for one end and Immodium for the other.

I eat 2 Tums every day for the calcium anyway and I always have at least 1 Immodium in my wallet every day - just in case. I always take both with me when we travel. The only place worse to have diarrhea than on a ship or plane is on a motorcycle in the middle of nowhere!

Pepto or Imodium?

Reason I am asking, is that I am gathering miscellaneous cruise items for another party, and want to know which is best to include, or perhaps both?

Our pharmacist told me not to take immodium unless the diarrhoea goes on for more than 24 hours. Apparently it's better to sip water for the first 24 hours to flush the bug out of your system. If you take immodium too soon it "stops you up" but in effect this keeps the bug in your system.

Before I was told that, I took it when I had *terrible* diarrhoea and instead I started vomiting uncontrollably. The doctor said afterwards that the bug was going to get out of my body one way or another; since I stopped it getting out one way, it came out of the other!

It's definitely worth having with you but perhaps see if you can flush the bug out first by sipping plenty of fluid (which will also help you stop dehydrating).

:)

OH, I totally agree with you if you have a true intestinal bug! I'm one of those who believes you have to get it out of your system too. Trust me, I've been sick as a dog with a BAD bug (not noro) on a cruise before, and I know you have to ride it out, for the most part...and take the meds later.

But for "traveler's diarrhea"...if you're not doubled over and truly sick, just need to stay out of the bathroom, it definitely helps. It got my daughter through a day of traveling home (late flight) on our last trip.

pepto

Yeah..Pepto for me too.

(Even I don't care for the flavor but, it works..)

I spent 40 years flying (professionally)

I could not afford having a problem.

One subject I am surprised no one mentioned here is

that if you are ever out and, feel a "little quesy",

I always took pure tonic water with quinine.

I would chug a can of that and, I would be fine in no time.

We always carried Tonic water on the aircraft

for cocktails in the back end. (Canada Dry is fav.)

In fact, we have Canada Dry here in the 'fridge and, my DW swears by

it and, Bonine..which I have taken a time or two,

but, between Pepto and, tonic water (with

quinine..) we get back to feeling GREAT in no time.

(Quinine water also helps if you have malaria :D )

both!

we usually have the pepto tablets (chewables) and immoduim pills.....

IMHO immodium works better for the.....you know.....

and pepto is OK for nausea, tummy aches, -- sing the jingle folks!

Me too!

I don't use either one for seasickness (which thankfully I have not yet been subjected to)

But I'll tell ya, if it wasn't for immodium, I would not have been able to get from Puebla to Mexico City for my flight home! Couple of hours on a bus with no restroom..... :eek::eek::eek:

Pepto or Imodium?

I start taking a probiotic a couple of weeks before I travel and during. I used to have terrible stomach problems when travelling but never now! I have had the Norovirus (caught at a resort I worked at some years ago) and would not wish that on anybody! AWFUL!

Archived