been on hurtigruten?

seabourndt

We also had the Drake lake but...on the way back to BA on the ship (we were last trip of the season) we had Beaufort 12 hurricane force winds on second to last day off the coast of Argentina. A bit of a wild ride but by that time most people had their sea legs so the dining room was still busy that night. Fun eating dinner and watching the waves rise and crash above you!! Great entertainment, good news was the wind was coming from behind so it was a fairly easy ride. As for scarf, I think it's overkill, just a lightweight synthetic neck gaiter will be all you need. Try a search for "Buff" as it's the original one and is a brand name, it will pack very small. Mostly we've come to the carry-on routine as a result of twisting backs with heavier luggage, the airlines losing it about 30% of the time and being able to avoid taxis and public transport in cities. It's much easier to rearrange flights if delays or weather problems arrive if they don't have to dig out your checked luggage and you can hit the ground running. We hand washed the clothes and they dry really quickly on the ship. Just the way we prefer to travel, I know others like to have more of their wardrobe with them but we're pretty low maintenance that way!!

As for BA, I would take a short 2-4 hour tour and then wander on your own. It really is a fabulous city. Find a local restaurant for dinner.

Enjoy the Hurtigruten experience, they do a fabulous job of allowing you to experience Antarctica.

I'll look for buffs online. I thought that was just the name they came up with for them on the show Survivor ;)

I'm going to force myself to achieve light-packer status on my next trip. We were on a group tour last month and several people wore pretty much the same clothes every day. I guess I have to get past caring about that. Of course, some of them smelled quite ripe by the end of the tour so they weren't bothering to wash what they had with them - not kind to the rest of us! I have a lot of things that I can wash in the sink and I think the ship has self-laundry so I'll be able to do that. Have been investing in smartwool and Icebreaker merino wool tops, long and short-sleeves and they're great for drying overnight.

A 2-4 hr tour in BA sounds good and we'll be in the Emperador so we can walk to Recoletta from there by ourselves like you suggested. It really will be weird coming from freezing temps at home, stopping for a day and a half in summer weather and then on to more freezing. Throws a little kink in the light packing plan but I'll make it work!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Honest, we DO wash our clothes!! There is no self-service laundry on the Fram, there used to be but no longer. Icebreaker & Smartwool both make excellent products, especially socks.

If you make it to Recoleta cemetery, and if you like beer, there is a brewpub across the street, Bullers, that makes their own good beers. A bit touristy but it is difficult to find a decent ale in South America, their food is pretty good as well.

I'll make a note of that - a good beer recommendation is always appreciated :D

No self-laundry. Boo. Oh well, sink works for me.

Quick question: I looked at buffs - would you think the poly version is best or the merino wool they offer? I really only like wool if it's super-soft --- hate ordering w/out being able to feel it. Probably the manmade fabric is the way to go for these.

I would just go with the poly one, you really only need to break the wind a little bit. The jackets they provide will also help cover your face when necessary. It really isn't that cold overall...it's just the wind that makes it seem so. Be sure and save the buff when you are done for future travels, can dress up a pair of slacks & blouse when you use it as a neck "scarf" accessory and when you go trekking in Nepal it can be used to keep the yak dung dust out of your lungs. Very useful.

More good advice! I might look in Nepal but knowing myself I won't wait - sort of compulsive with travel prep like that.

I've been trying to get through to Hurtigruten by email & not getting a reply- very annoying after booking when a company doesn't give you the time of day anymore. I guess I need to call instead. I want to find out about the medical form my dr. has signed. I read that it is just turned in when boarding the ship but can that be right? They don't want it ahead of time? Maybe I'll email once more.

They did send us an email request to scan and email to them AND we needed to turn it into the ship's doc during the boarding process. I'd wait until they contact you for it but also be sure to have it with you when boarding. I was a bit surprised they needed it twice but they definitely did.

Archived