Dress code for dinner

kto

I leave in 7!!! days on my first Carnival Cruise- a 4 night on the Imagination. I'll be traveling with my parents, my little brother, and my best friend (I'm 19, she's 18). We're really excited, but I have a question on dining room dress code that I haven't found an answer for anywhere.

I'm not worried about being under-dressed for dinner. But can you be *over* dressed? Since entering college, both of us have missed having opportunities to dress up and get cute and figure the cruise is the perfect opportunity. But if we show up every night dressed up (not evening gown dressed up...think a cocktail dress and cute heels) are we going to be super out of place? Does anyone else do this on cruises, or do you just get dressed up for formal night and nothing else?

Thanks!

I have been on about 6-7 cruises and IMO, who cares if you're overdressed? I think it's better being that than under. Dinner is for you so wear what you want. I've always done sundresses and some type of heeled sandal for casual nights (& like you say, it's fun to dress up). You will always be overdressed compared to people; some like to believe that wearing adidas flip flops and swim trunks to dinner is a good idea.

I leave in 7!!! days on my first Carnival Cruise- a 4 night on the Imagination. I'll be traveling with my parents, my little brother, and my best friend (I'm 19, she's 18). We're really excited, but I have a question on dining room dress code that I haven't found an answer for anywhere.

I'm not worried about being under-dressed for dinner. But can you be *over* dressed? Since entering college, both of us have missed having opportunities to dress up and get cute and figure the cruise is the perfect opportunity. But if we show up every night dressed up (not evening gown dressed up...think a cocktail dress and cute heels) are we going to be super out of place? Does anyone else do this on cruises, or do you just get dressed up for formal night and nothing else?

Thanks!

Dress in a way that makes you happy. It is your vacation so dress and be happy...:cool:

We dress up every night, At least its dress up by our standards I wear jacket, tie and slacks. The Wife wears a nice dress. This is the only time I wear a tie.

We definately did not feel out of place. Its your vacation have fun dressing up.

I wore T-Shirt, jeans and white sneakers most nights.

I didn't feel quite low brow enough to wear thongs (As an Aussie I can't bear to call these "Flip flops" lol) to the dining room, but I saw a few people in those, so I think basically if you are clothed you should be OK :)

I'm not worried about being under-dressed for dinner. But can you be *over* dressed?

GREAT question! No, you can NEVER be overdressed! You will turn heads, which is ALWAYS a great feeling. I think I was 19 as well when I learned that as well.

Enjoy your cruise! Your parents must be proud of you!

Thanks!

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of over dressed and other peoples thoughts on it as well.It also depends on you and the clothing.Carnival used to have an activity they call "people watching people watching people". It was done by Kathy lee and she is sitting in the lobby with a friend and remarks to her friend "did you see that" and they both snicker.

Also, Formal night has been eliminated fleetwide a year ago and has been replaced with elegant night,so the need for tuxes and ball gowns is gone and a pair of slacks and a polo shirt is now accepted as well as shorts on all other nights.

Keep in mind you are on Carnival,the Walmart of the seas:)

Would you wear that to Walmart:)?

Steve

Welcome to Walmart:)

Steve

Steve,

You have to stop vacationing at Walmart. Not many people do that. Actually, I think people would call that working. :rolleyes: Or are you just a greeter?

Steve

Did the OP ask your opinion about the cruise line?

You take any comments about dining/Carnival and turn it into this Walmart comment... it's very boring.

Steve,

You have to stop vacationing at Walmart. Not many people do that. Actually, I think people would call that working. :rolleyes: Or are you just a greeter?

Walmart is a vacation stop for people who travel in RVs.Walmart allows them to park overnight.They are a great company!

STeve:)

Walmart is a vacation stop for people who travel in RVs.Walmart allows them to park overnight.They are a great company!

STeve:)

So now I need the tie in.

How do people in RV's cruise? Why would people in RV's cruise.

My first Carnival cruise. On all of our previous cruises, I have worn a gown and 90% of the women wore either a gown or a cocktail dress. Could you tell me the approximate percentage of women who wear these clothes on formal nights? Thanks.

8/99 Alaska –Celebrity, Mercury

8/01 Scandinavia/Russia -Princess

1/05 Western Caribbean –Celebrity, Constellation

10/05 Hawaii –Norwegian, Pride of America

1/07 Panama Canal -Celebrity ,Constellation

8/07 Hawaii- Norwegian, Pride of America

1/08 South America – Celebrity, Infinity

10/20/08 Mediterrean – Celebrity,Century

6/11/09 Eastern Caribbean –Princess, Caribbean Princess

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com]countdown.pl?name=retired1998&date=10-15-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Carnival Dream[/url]

My first Carnival cruise. On all of our previous cruises, I have worn a gown and 90% of the women wore either a gown or a cocktail dress. Could you tell me the approximate percentage of women who wear these clothes on formal nights? Thanks.

8/99 Alaska –Celebrity, Mercury

8/01 Scandinavia/Russia -Princess

1/05 Western Caribbean –Celebrity, Constellation

10/05 Hawaii –Norwegian, Pride of America

1/07 Panama Canal -Celebrity ,Constellation

8/07 Hawaii- Norwegian, Pride of America

1/08 South America – Celebrity, Infinity

10/20/08 Mediterrean – Celebrity,Century

6/11/09 Eastern Caribbean –Princess, Caribbean Princess

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com]countdown.pl?name=retired1998&date=10-15-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Carnival Dream[/url]

Formal nights are gone on Carnival now.Its now ELEGANT night where a simple pair of pants and a polo shirt are acceptable for a male. Shorts are allowed on all other nights.

All of those who want to pretend that Formal nights are not gone will tell you that many still dress up,the reality is if that many still did,they would not have eliminated them.:rolleyes:

STeve

Ah yes, Steveaaaaa...about time you chimed in! :D

Steveaaaa has a little "issue" with us using the "F" word (formal) :D

And eventhough Carnival has changed it to "elegant" I ask you; doesn't that still sound like formal attire to you? It does to me! ;)

For those of you who plan to really dress up I say GO FOR IT! Look your best! I know I will. The black tux will be on and I'll be loving it! The other nights I'll be in khaki pants or some equivilent with a polo type shirt or short sleeve button up.

Don't worry folks, formal is not a bad word to most of us! :D

Ah yes, Steveaaaaa...about time you chimed in! :D

Steveaaaa has a little "issue" with us using the "F" word (formal) :D

And eventhough Carnival has changed it to "elegant" I ask you; doesn't that still sound like formal attire to you? It does to me! ;)

For those of you who plan to really dress up I say GO FOR IT! Look your best! I know I will. The black tux will be on and I'll be loving it! The other nights I'll be in khaki pants or some equivilent with a polo type shirt or short sleeve button up.

Don't worry folks, formal is not a bad word to most of us! :D

I always take my fashion advice from the guy with no shirt and god knows what is his month.

As for me you can come to the MDR on formal night any way you like (tux or no shirt), just don't bring the cigar.

I always take my fashion advice from the guy with no shirt and god knows what is his month.

Thanks, but I'm on deck in that pic so "no shirt = ok" :D

As for me you can come to the MDR on formal night any way you like (tux or no shirt), just don't bring the cigar.

It'll be in my inside left coat pocket! ;)

I wore T-Shirt, jeans and white sneakers most nights.

I didn't feel quite low brow enough to wear thongs (As an Aussie I can't bear to call these "Flip flops" lol) to the dining room, but I saw a few people in those, so I think basically if you are clothed you should be OK :)

We used to call them thongs, too, until someone invented dental floss underwear and gave it that name:cool:

My daughter , future DIL and many friends have been cruising with us for years. They always use the dining room dinner as a reason to look their cutest and where all the outfits they never get a chance to wear in real life, They look fantastic. No one has ever been criticized for looking TOO Cute or being dressed Too Nice. Have a ball and my daughter's policy is she never met a photographer she didn't like, so get alot of pictures. Cindy

Archived