Nice-Eze-and Monaco-can it be done in a day?

busybee2

We will be tendered in Villefranche on Wed. Aug. 12th. Ideally I would like to see and walk around Nice, Eze and Monaco just to get a taste of each. We would be taking trains and buses. Could this be done in a day?(we are tendered from 7am to 7pm). Also, if it can, what is the best route? i.e., first to Nice then Eze then Monaco, or the reverse? or some other route?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

With thanks,

Monika

Yes, you can see the highlights of each in one day, with a combination of train (for the coastal towns) and bus (for Eze). I will have to defer to other posters, however, to provide exact route details, because we decided that when trying to visit many spread-out geographic destinations on one port day, it is most efficient and far less stressful to arrange for a private tour with fellow cruisers. On those other days when we basically are touring one area, we DIY.

So last month, on our port day in Monaco, we toured with the excellent Sylvie di Cristo, visiting parts of Monaco, Nice (the excellent Chagall Museum), St. Paul du Vence and Haut des Cagnes.

Sure, it can be done in a day by using public transit. My suggestion would be to start at Nice or MC. For Nice, you can take the bus from Villefranche (only 1 Euro) or you could also take the train (more money and they do not run as often as the buses). From Nice, you can take the local bus from the bus station (Gare Routiere) to Eze. After you are finished with Eze, just take the bus (it is the same bus line) from Eze to MC. Finally, you can take the train (or bus) from MC to Villefranche and than walk to your tender pier. Keep in mind that you do need to use the bus to get to Eze as the train line only stops at Eze/Bord sur Mer which is on the coast below the city (you would than need a bus or a taxi from that train station). I believe the bus number from Nice to Eze is the #82 and you would take the #112 from Eze to MC. Somebody else might want to verify my bus numbers.

Hank

Just to add to the above DIY info, here's a simplified bus schedule: http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm

Bus #100 travels on the lower road (corniche) ... with stops at Nice, VF, MC.

Bus #82 and #112 run between Nice and MC on the middle road - with a stop at Eze Village.

Here's a link to more detailed bus info: http://www.lignedazur.com/index.asp

I found Rick Steves' book Provence and the French Riviera helpful for planning our DIY day in VF. It might be available at your local library.

Archived