Binoculars recommendation

Kylira

Hi! DH and I are four weeks away from our Alaskan cruise and we've yet to find binoculars. Does anyone have recommendations? Is it possible to find something with quality and affordability? Thanks in advance for all suggestions! :)

Hi! DH and I are four weeks away from our Alaskan cruise and we've yet to find binoculars. Does anyone have recommendations? Is it possible to find something with quality and affordability? Thanks in advance for all suggestions! :)

DH and I leave for Alaska in 5 weeks. I spent alot of time reading google response to the following question "How do I know what binoculars to buy, also what binoculars do I buy for whale watching" I learned alot. I now know that I want a pair that is 8x42, or 8x40. According to what I read if you go up to a 10 or higher it is heaver and if you are not real steady it is harder to focus. Anything above 10 Magnification and you will need a tripod to keep it steady and on a boat whale watching it would not be advisable. The 8 means how many times it is magnified the 42 is the amount of light it lets in. There is another number it is 450 in the pair I will be ordering that means that if there is a 1,000 yard fence you can see 450 feet at one time.:confused: Hope this helps!

Read back numerous pages here on this board and you will find a lot of information on binoculars. I did that and found alot. Alot of people recommend Zen-ray summits. you can go to www.zenray.com

Anyway, read back and you will have a lot of info.

the correct website is http://www.zen-ray.com/store.

There are many threads on binoculars here, which are very helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=578690

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=875943

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789940

DH and I leave for Alaska in 5 weeks. I spent alot of time reading google response to the following question "How do I know what binoculars to buy, also what binoculars do I buy for whale watching" I learned alot. I now know that I want a pair that is 8x42, or 8x40. According to what I read if you go up to a 10 or higher it is heaver and if you are not real steady it is harder to focus. Anything above 10 Magnification and you will need a tripod to keep it steady and on a boat whale watching it would not be advisable. The 8 means how many times it is magnified the 42 is the amount of light it lets in. There is another number it is 450 in the pair I will be ordering that means that if there is a 1,000 yard fence you can see 450 feet at one time.:confused: Hope this helps!

Above 10x, it is not necessarily heavier. The magnification is too much and causes unsteady image.

The 450 number is field of view, meaning how wide you can see. In your case, 450ft/1000 yards means when you look at landscape at 1000 yards AWAY, the viewing angle is 450 ft. Hope this helps.

Upon everyone's recommendation, we got two pairs of Zen Ray's for our Alaska trip, especially for the fog/waterproofness. Well, we didn't have a drop of rain in our 16 day vacation, and the weather outside was probably warmer than the ship's cabin. However, the Zen Ray's worked great, and we were glad we got them!

DD

I was thinking about bringing a spotting scope and tripod to set up on my balcony on the ship. Could anyone tell me if I would be able to use it or will it just be too hard to focus on anything to use it because of the ships movement? Thanks for any help.

My financee and I just decided on the Bushnell 8x42 legacy after comparing some models over at B&H Photo. It was down to the Legacy or their H2O (both waterproof models) and the Legacy is much brighter and images really pop. For $65 not a bad deal. Do we wish they were a little smaller and lighter - sure... but we also know that our Alaska trip is a once in a lifetime or once in a longtime opportunity and we want to enjoy some great optics. We might get smaller ones when we do the state parks. But I highly rec. checking out the Bushnell Legacy!

I was thinking about bringing a spotting scope and tripod to set up on my balcony on the ship. Could anyone tell me if I would be able to use it or will it just be too hard to focus on anything to use it because of the ships movement? Thanks for any help.

MY72 I am planning on bringing a scope on our trip next week (assuming I can figure out where to fit the tripod). I have never done this before, but I am told by other birders that it is very useful, both for identifying birds and for resolving blobs on the shore that in a scope are bears, etc. I am also told that if your balcony is not the best place to view wildlife, you should experiment with other places, such as the bow.

Hope this helps.

MY72 I am planning on bringing a scope on our trip next week (assuming I can figure out where to fit the tripod). I have never done this before, but I am told by other birders that it is very useful, both for identifying birds and for resolving blobs on the shore that in a scope are bears, etc. I am also told that if your balcony is not the best place to view wildlife, you should experiment with other places, such as the bow.

Hope this helps.

We have been able to use spotting scopes...you need to be skilled at aiming and tracking, as even a slowly moving ship (such as in glacier bay) will present a challange. And forget about digiscoping from a ship;) It will also be difficult, if not impossible, for one person to aim the scope and another to look through it...I actually find a monopod to be quicker and easier to use from a moving platform.

We have been rewarded with looks at brown bears, black bears, mountain goats (you can spot them while the ship is in port in Juneau), sitka deer, and many different birds (including puffins and other alcids in Glacier Bay).

Plus, if you are spending any time on land (or renting a car at any of the ports), your scope will be VERY useful.

Enjoy!!

We bought on line today 2 pairs of Nikon 7216 action 8x40 read the reports they received 5 stars on the popular sight I do a lot of shopping on DD has free shipping with them I am not sure we can give there name on this sight $49.99 each. But if interested it is very well know sight starts with an A. I bet you could figure it out.

Not that it's the end all - be all - but you realize the nikon's you bought are NOT waterproof. Perhaps not a big deal - but from what I read - Alaska tends to be wet. That's why we sprung for a little more, but waterproof ones...

Not that it's the end all - be all - but you realize the nikon's you bought are NOT waterproof. Perhaps not a big deal - but from what I read - Alaska tends to be wet. That's why we sprung for a little more, but waterproof ones...

Yes we do however from what I read if I don't put them in the water they should be fine. Thanks

: You got a great price on yours! Enjoy:

Wow! I just love CC'ers!! Thank you so much. I'm in the process of finding a pair of 8x42's. I can't believe I leave in only 23 days...our first cruise!! :D

I definitely recommend you check out the Bushnell Legacy 8x42s. GREAT bang for the buck... but ultimately - go to a store and try a few to see what feels/looks best to you

I definitely recommend you check out the Bushnell Legacy 8x42s. GREAT bang for the buck... but ultimately - go to a store and try a few to see what feels/looks best to you

Those are exactly the ones I'm planning to buy!! Thanks for all your help. We decided to get a pair for each of us to eliminate the handing back and forth and possiblly missing something. I can't wait!! :D

Thanks again. :)

We have been able to use spotting scopes...you need to be skilled at aiming and tracking, as even a slowly moving ship (such as in glacier bay) will present a challange. And forget about digiscoping from a ship;) It will also be difficult, if not impossible, for one person to aim the scope and another to look through it...I actually find a monopod to be quicker and easier to use from a moving platform.

We have been rewarded with looks at brown bears, black bears, mountain goats (you can spot them while the ship is in port in Juneau), sitka deer, and many different birds (including puffins and other alcids in Glacier Bay).

Plus, if you are spending any time on land (or renting a car at any of the ports), your scope will be VERY useful.

Enjoy!!

hm... I haven't tried scope yet. I may pack a 60mm scope for the next trip. Looks like the lowest zoom is all I need in order to track the object on the moving the vessel.

hm... I haven't tried scope yet. I may pack a 60mm scope for the next trip. Looks like the lowest zoom is all I need in order to track the object on the moving the vessel.

The lowest zoom will be enough...anything beyond 20-22x was almost impossible to use from the ship (except when we were docked in Juneau and Seward, when we were able to crank up the zoom to watch wildlife on the mountains-- goats and a black bear).

Kylira-

I was also in a quandry over which binoc's to buy as my budget was pretty small ( under 125) and my need for good magnification is great!

I bought the Nikon 8x42 Action series and am very happy with my purchase. I have neck and shoulder issues so weight is a strong consideration for me and after trying multiple binocs at various stores, I found the Nikons to be the best for me. At less than $80 with a 25 year limited warranty I felt it was a good purchase. I was leaning toward the Bushells until I got to try them side-by-side to the Nikons, and for me, the difference in brightness was significant.

I got mine at the local shutterbug store, where I also was taught how to adjust the lenses for my vision needs and they registered me for the warranty on site. Though these are not waterproof, I was told that using a silicon packet ( like the ones you find in shoeboxes or purses) in the storing of the binocs will aid in removing moisture, so unless you try to use them in a pouring rain with no cover at all, its possible to give them moisture protection.

If its at all possible to try your choices side by side, do it, as this was a big help to me and saved me over $70 because I nearly fell for a hard sell at a "reputable" place where I wasn't able to try pre-packaged products because there was no demonstrator available for any choices under $150.

The lowest zoom will be enough...anything beyond 20-22x was almost impossible to use from the ship (except when we were docked in Juneau and Seward, when we were able to crank up the zoom to watch wildlife on the mountains-- goats and a black bear).

I will start with 15x zoom on the scope while on the moving vessel. thanks

Archived