Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

"So, where was the cottage cheese???????????????"

It's in across from the milk. Right at the beginning of the cold case closest to the main aisle. :) Seriously. Just in case anyone is looking for it! BTW: Not long ago, you would not have found cottage cheese here, nor many brands/types of cheese like sharp cheddar or Gruyere. They are not Mexican.

inally Posted by Sangela viewpost.gif

When we were in Cancun, we took the bus to Wal-Mart in downtown Cancun....I questioned my husband's sanity wanting to go to Wal Mart of ALL places, but it ended up being pretty interesting....LOL!

It was laid out exactly the SAME as my own neighborhood WM, which was really trippy, lol, as I knew where everything was, but it was also really weird to see the familiar logos and font in another language.

OK....so I"m easily amused, but it was interesting. lol

So, where was the cottage cheese??????????????? They have a weird sense of humor in their placement of things. There is NO WAY you knew where everything was.......just saying from experience.

Hehe, yes, you're right I didn't know where EVERYTHING was, but when you walk in and the see the similar layout, and familiar signage (in spanish) and smiley faces with pesos indicating "falling prices", it just kinda tickled my funny bone.

WM is not one of my favorite places, its' kind of a necessary evil, IMO...lol, so I go to stock up on stuff I can't get at Costco.

I've been to the WM twice in PV. The first time was because I thought it would be interesting to see how a store that I shop at compares to the same store in a different country. I thought it was pretty interesting. The second time my firiend needed a new bathing suit. The first time I thought it was really interesting that the sodas didn't come in 12 pack containers. They were just single cans.

Hi all!

We too went to Walmart while on an AI vacation in PV. I had to get some

sunblock before going to Las Caletas.:D

We went to Walmart in Cancun too as our rep. said that's where the cheapest liquor was. Both times we took the local bus which is a neat &

inexpensive way to travel.

~Jo~ :)

I never go to walmart, I think walmart is the most disgusting company in the USA. They pay only minimum wage and make people live in poverty, while the CEO is making millions. The CEO has one of the highest pays in the retail segment of the world. There was a study done to show how much the CEO of walmart makes, that if you took his pay and the four vice presidents pay and only gave them one million each and then distributed all the excess pay to all the employees that they would all start at twelve dollars per hour . In Mexico they don't have a minimum wage so just think what these poor people are earning at the stores in Mexico.

I never go to walmart, I think walmart is the most disgusting company in the USA. They pay only minimum wage and make people live in poverty, while the CEO is making millions. The CEO has one of the highest pays in the retail segment of the world. There was a study done to show how much the CEO of walmart makes, that if you took his pay and the four vice presidents pay and only gave them one million each and then distributed all the excess pay to all the employees that they would all start at twelve dollars per hour . In Mexico they don't have a minimum wage so just think what these poor people are earning at the stores in Mexico.

FYI: The cruise line employees don't make even minimum wage.

Edited by coolcat12
  • Like 1

I was just at WalMart yesterday and they had these cute little giftsets of 10 miniature bottles of different/flavored tequilas for 180 Pesos, about 15 US.

They are in the souvenir area towards the back, but who knows, they move stuff around in that store daily, you may have to hunt:)

FYI: Mexico does have a minimum wage and it is evaluated and released in January of each year. Whoever told you there is not a minimum wage is pulling your leg. Minimum wage varies by the job and the "zone" you live/work in Mexico. As well, there are very strict labor laws, and employees receive social security and IMSS/medical.

• Like 1

"So, where was the cottage cheese???????????????"

It's in across from the milk. Right at the beginning of the cold case closest to the main aisle. :) Seriously. Just in case anyone is looking for it! BTW: Not long ago, you would not have found cottage cheese here, nor many brands/types of cheese like sharp cheddar or Gruyere. They are not Mexican.

In Acapulco, it's by the cream cheese which is more than half way across the store from the milk, butter, sour cream. Go figure :D

FYI: Mexico does have a minimum wage and it is evaluated and released in January of each year. Whoever told you there is not a minimum wage is pulling your leg. Minimum wage varies by the job and the "zone" you live/work in Mexico. As well, there are very strict labor laws, and employees receive social security and IMSS/medical.

Indeed there is. And unlike the ungrateful Walmart workers in the U.S. they people are happy to be working inside a nice air conditioned environment making their minimum wage.

My son "needed" a straightening iron, because his hair curled up in the ocean air, and DH is into Hot Wheels........so, yeah, we made the trek to Wal Mart...but just because it was there.

Had it been any other retail establishment, we would have gone there. I do not normally shop at Wal Mart. I have my reasons....

Edited by ASeaPrincess1

Had to laugh when I saw this thread.

Wife & I normally steer very clear any Walmarts, but when we were in PV last year it was very convenient. We were on a catamaran returning from a snorkling excursion when a big wave hit the boat and washed one of her sandals overboard. She had to walk with one bare foot from the port across the street to Walmart for a replacement. Found a cheap $5 pair of sandals there that she still uses today! :D

A rather ignorant statement when you consider that Wal-Mart treats its workers MUCH better than any cruise lines treats its own staff.

Operating in the environment of weak international labor laws, using workers from impoverished nations, and mixing crews of various nationalities on revolving contracts so as to destroy the incentive to organize, the environment of US Wal-Mart workers is quite good relative to workers on cruise ships, who endure a modern form of indentured servitude.

A rather ignorant statement when you consider that Wal-Mart treats its workers MUCH better than any cruise lines treats its own staff.

Operating in the environment of weak international labor laws, using workers from impoverished nations, and mixing crews of various nationalities on revolving contracts so as to destroy the incentive to organize, the environment of US Wal-Mart workers is quite good relative to workers on cruise ships, who endure a modern form of indentured servitude.

And yet here you are, so it clearly doesn't bother you at all.

You have to walk over that way to catch the bus anyway. I bought all my "must haves"

Fridge magnet, postcards, shot glass. Bought a bottle of wine and took the bus to the beach. You gotta love Wal-Mart to understand! :)

We liked going to Wal Mart. It's always neat going to a store like Wal Mart in another country. Of course I went to buy the inexpensive liquor. Plus I used to work at Wal Mart so I had another reason to look at it.

Exactly!

It's that strange sense of familiarity in a foreign place.

Like a security blanket. "EEk, I'm in a very strange foreign place but I relate to where I'm standing right now!"

And, if you're lucky...

"...wow, how cheap is that compared to what I pay at home?"! "I'll buy a couple!"

Polish people come to live in the UK and buy from our Tesco supermarket which is also big over there, so the company stock Polish brands for them in the UK.

Two good German discounters are doing very well in the UK, Lidl and Aldi.

When I go to see my daughter in southern Germany, same feeling, different environment. Lots of familiar comparisons and currency conversion calculations. Strange.

Perhaps one of our readers is a Psychology or Economics graduate who could relate to this and research it?

'Aint cruisin' great? :)

Edited by sheeper370

Years back we did a 12 day cruise on the Spirit to Hawaii - couldn't believe the amount of people that made a run for Walmart!

We took a cruise in Hawaii and saw there was a KMART shuttle at one of the ports. I was shocked that enough people go so that there's an actualy shuttle!

For me, it actually was a tourist attraction, as there are no Walmarts where I live :)

I went there with a friend who lives in the US, after we had done some walking around town. It wound up being the least expensive place to buy little souvenirs.

My friend bought gifts for her kids (she was on the cruise solo) that she knew they would get a kick out of- familiar snacks, but in the 'Mexican' version.

Where ever I travel, I always make it a point to spend at least a few minutes in a local grocery. It's a fun way to get a bit of insight into local culture, and to literally get a taste of it as well.

But in PV, I couldn't resist going into a Walmart! I was almost overwhelmed by how big it was (are they all that big?!!), and had fun going up and down the aisles. It was a nice, air conditioned way to spend a free hour after touring, and before returning to the ship.

I went to the Wal-Mart in Cabo and Acapulco on my last cruise. I have the beach bag that is also made of cooler material and we bought a case of beer, pastries, fruit and snacks and a bag of ice and made our way down to the beach. Great day at an ever better price. Plus, they even gave away free beer samples. What more could you want.

It is not an all day excursion. Walk in grab a couple of bottles of booze, a couple of mex. cokes, aa shot glass, and head out.

Good quality.:D

Best prices.:D

Cool tempetures:D

Friendly service:D

Yep.......gotta hate going there.:eek:

BUT I force myself every trip.:rolleyes:

Woody