Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

you haven't been reading this topic..

Wal Mart Does charge the same in Mexico as they do in the USA.

On many items they charge considerably more. They base their prices on the US Dollar.

Retin - A is made in Mexico. All products produced in Mexico are cheap for the company to buy. Retin - A is 250 pesos for a tube. In the USA it is $20.

Do the math. No real savings.

As I said, this was several years ago. All I know is that two tubes were around $30 and my SIL said it cost her more than that for one tube in the USA plus needing a prescription meant a trip to the doctor adding more cost. I haven't been to Mexico lately so I don't know if things have changed.

Even if things cost more at WalMart in PV than the USA, a bottle of soda is a whole lot less than what the ship will charge you for it. You can also find unusual souvenirs there.

Tucker in Texas

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were tired of being hassled by vendors while looking/shopping for items. We were waiting for travel companions and went to Walmart in Puerto Vallarta since we had some time to kill. We had the best time and were able to shop at our leisure and buy tourist souvenirs without hearing "almost free", "cheaper than K-Mart" and all the other lines the street vendors would throw at us. We bought beautiful ceramic pottery, blankets, tequila, and small gifts to take home. We spent a whole hour in the store and nobody hassled us the entire time. We came out with all sorts of items and only spent $40 USD. I would rather give my money to a street vendor than a mega-corporation, but I want to be treated respectfully in doing so. Unfortunately, many street vendors cross the line of being friendly sales to down right hassling tourists. I would pay more elsewhere, but not while being hassled. Walmart only treated me with respect and offered great prices. I would go there again as it is very convenient.:)

• Like 1

Since the subject is Walmart. The bus we use to get to downtown is the Walmart bus (blue sign in front says Walmart) it picks you up accross the street from Walmart we take it all the way downtown for a few paesos and then we look for the blue walmart sign on the bus for the return. There are many buses and this is the one we know we won't get lost on. Drops you back off right in front of the store which is just accross the street from the ship. Also riding the bus is an adventure in its self (get in sit down and hold on )

Ok it has been over 4 years since I have shopped at walmart, but now I am curious, maybe I'll go there if I need to kill some time, LOL. Since it is a foreign country, it isn't compromising my principles right!:D

Just go into the Sam's Club, next door, and pretend that it's not related to Walmart.

We do.

gary

We never would have thought to visit the Walmart but on out last cruise a crew member was telling us that they have a section where you can get a great ice cream sundae made. That kind of perked our interest so maybe our next trip will include a visit to Walmart.

Do you have to ask in the pharmacy for Retin A or is it on an open shelf?

Cheers

I think I had to ask for it. I wasn't getting it for myself but my SIL and she gave me a box. I took it to the counter and, if I remember correctly, the person went to the back and bought it out. I think if I had had to seek it out on the shelf, I would have remembered.

Good news: The charge on my credit card never went through.

Tucker in Texas

A previous poster is incorrect about the price of Retin-A. DW pays around $12 a tube from Mexico; pharmacies in the USA charge about $70.

Wow...I guess I found the one thing that is cheap in Cabo besides tortillas. I pay 42 pesos for my Retin-A cream (not gel) formula!!!

Your name isn't Michael Moore by any chance is it. You sure do have an agenda here and very rarely is it to help people cruising to the Mexican Riviera. It's almost kind of sad that you are so singularly angry. Life is way to short to concentrate on such negativity.

Perhaps a coke and a smile. :)

You just took the words right out of my mouth......

I paid about 70 or 80 pesos in PV this past Feb

Hmmm, if you are looking for an excuse for your next cruise to Cabo...here ya go! I bought mine at Farmacia Principal #1 on Morelos Street which is the street that runs up "away" from the mall - it is on the right hand side of the street. I also priced it Los Angeles Farmacia and Simi Farmacia...both under what you paid. Again, mine was the cream formula but maybe the gel formula is more. But then again, I am pretty sure the Botox treatments I get are way cheaper here too (U.S. licensed plastic surgeon, American lady).

After reading all of these posts, I am going to go to the WalMart in PV.

I think it will be interesting to compare what we have in Canada to the one in Mexico.

:)

I suggest slipping into the Sam's Club, next door.

We'll be doing that in November.

gary

no membership card needed for cruisers at the Sams Club in PV..

PERFECT- I was hoping to pick up a case of green beans and new tires while in Mexico!

OK. $7.40 a day sounds really bad.

But how does that compare with other stores and wages normally made there. Please let us know.

This perspective is exactly why I dont shop at walmart. Perhaps if we encouraged fair labor practices globally, we would stop the exploitation of third world residents. Just because something is 'cheap' doesnt make it a good 'deal'- not when that 'deal' includes taking advantage of a really bad situation. I would prefer to pay more for my 'stuff' knowing that some decent intentions regarding humanity went into the business plan. <off the soapbox>

You can buy an prescription medicine anywhere in Mexico without an prescription UNLESS it is a narcotic. No narcotics can be sold with out prescription by a MEXICAN doctor- so U.S./ Canadian narcotic RX's are not valid. As well, all meds such be purchased in a normal supply amount, such as 30 to 90 tablets....not 500 or 1000 :)

Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

I can answer this! I cruised to PV two weeks ago. When my luggage arrived in my cabin, the zipper on one of my suitcases had jammed and simply wouldn't open. I tried for a half hour and even got ship maintenance up to try to open it, all to no avail. Eventually, I had to borrow a box cutter and cut the whole suitcase open (rendering it garbage). In order to get my belongings off the ship upon debarkation, I needed a new bag. Suddenly, a good reason to visit Wal-Mart!

• Like 1

Big changes planned for Walmart Sams Club in Puerto Vallarta

DSC02925.jpg

The current location for Walmart and Sams club will soon close with a new Walmart Superstore opening in Nayarit, near Mescales (above) . The current PV location will shut down soon with both Walmart and Sams relocating to Pital Colonia, near the new Costco in PV..