Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

I've been to the WM twice in PV. The first time was because I thought it would be interesting to see how a store that I shop at compares to the same store in a different country. I thought it was pretty interesting. The second time my firiend needed a new bathing suit. The first time I thought it was really interesting that the sodas didn't come in 12 pack containers. They were just single cans.

You know, I remember (and I'm not that old) when we could buy soda by the can at the grocery stores in the US ... weird how that has changed and we are just required to buy more than we want or need :p That's the way everything is packaged in the US now though ... sometimes I feel like I'm shopping for a blizzard or a hurricane!

We'll probably go to WM for a giggle, and to pick up anything we need for the remainder of the cruise.

We always go to Walmart just before getting back on the ship to get a case of bottled water for the cabin to last us the rest of the cruise. Many times I could have gotten gold for that case when people saw me carrying it back to the cabin. Also great for any small items you may have forgotten to pack and didn't realize til you sailed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
We always go to Walmart just before getting back on the ship to get a case of bottled water for the cabin to last us the rest of the cruise. Many times I could have gotten gold for that case when people saw me carrying it back to the cabin. Also great for any small items you may have forgotten to pack and didn't realize til you sailed.
Always a good point too.

We have gone there often and that includes to world cruises where we realized there were a few items that we have not brought with us and picked them up.

Keith

I think this is the point. Walmart is not a "destination" for cruisers but perhaps a chance to pick up some items at a great cost.

I think this is the point. Walmart is not a "destination" for cruisers but perhaps a chance to pick up some items at a great cost.

I agree. For us clearly not a destination.

We mainly go there to pick up any last minute items we realize we needed. Not as much price but it was the convenience of its location and also that they carry a wide range of items.

Keith

We go to the Walmart in PV for wine refills and occasionally pharmaceuticals. We go to the Starbucks in the mall next door to use the wifi for the cost of tea or coffee. WM in PV has a nice selection of wines from South America.

We go to the Walmart in PV for wine refills and occasionally pharmaceuticals. We go to the Starbucks in the mall next door to use the wifi for the cost of tea or coffee. WM in PV has a nice selection of wines from South America.

And a good selection of tequila usually. One time we were doing a B-2-B and they had a whole shelf of one of the better brands.. the next week they were all gone.

I must admit that this topic makes me smile since we live in PV several months a year and avoid going to Walmart unless we want to buy something in their supermarket. Buying wine in Mexico makes little sense since there is a big duty on imported wines (except for some wine from Chile) which actually cost more then in the US. In fact, although we are big oenophiles and drink wine almost daily at home, we generally avoid wine in PV in favor of Tequilia. If you want decent prices on Tequilia or Controy (Mexican version of Cointreau) then Walmart makes some sense (although some of the local booze stores actually have better prices). But what really makes us smile is you cruisers (we do a lot of cruising but not to PV) come down to Mexico and waste your time going to Walmart! PV is a wonderful city (its why we make it our home for part of the year) and visitors should be out and about and enjoying the local culture, food, bars, shopping, etc. Instead of spending your time at Walmart just jump on a local bus for about 50 cents and take yourself into Centro (downtown) where you can stroll and enjoy Centro and the adjacent Old Town (Romantic Zone) area (known to many locals as the South Side).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I must admit that this topic makes me smile since we live in PV several months a year and avoid going to Walmart unless we want to buy something in their supermarket. Buying wine in Mexico makes little sense since there is a big duty on imported wines (except for some wine from Chile) which actually cost more then in the US. In fact, although we are big oenophiles and drink wine almost daily at home, we generally avoid wine in PV in favor of Tequilia. If you want decent prices on Tequilia or Controy (Mexican version of Cointreau) then Walmart makes some sense (although some of the local booze stores actually have better prices). But what really makes us smile is you cruisers (we do a lot of cruising but not to PV) come down to Mexico and waste your time going to Walmart! PV is a wonderful city (its why we make it our home for part of the year) and visitors should be out and about and enjoying the local culture, food, bars, shopping, etc. Instead of spending your time at Walmart just jump on a local bus for about 50 cents and take yourself into Centro (downtown) where you can stroll and enjoy Centro and the adjacent Old Town (Romantic Zone) area (known to many locals as the South Side).

Hank

Thanks for the inside info. Hank,

We have done that too and the sand sculptures were outstanding. We went to a resturant that was upstairs by the beach.

The only booze we get at Wally World is the tequilia or the kahula. It makes very little sense to save a couple of bucks and then pack 2 heavy bottles back home.....but we still do it for some brand we can not buy at home.

Woody

But we do both.

We get off the ship and jump onto a bus to downtown, walk the Malecon, enjoy the day, perhaps some time at Cheeky Monkey.

But when we catch the bus back to the ship we get off at the Walmart stop and head into Sam's Club and/or Walmart.

Life is good.

gary

But we do both.

We get off the ship and jump onto a bus to downtown, walk the Malecon, enjoy the day, perhaps some time at Cheeky Monkey.

But when we catch the bus back to the ship we get off at the Walmart stop and head into Sam's Club and/or Walmart.

Life is good.

gary

YEP.....almost perfect.

Woody

• 1 month later...
We're getting ready to go on Sapphire Princess and in reading a lot of reviews, we've seen quite a number of people mention they took time to make it to Wal-Mart in PV. Why exactly would someone do this? They have that practically everywhere but folks seem to include this in their reviews. I know that in St. Thomas, one of the best places for liquor, folks claimed, was K-Mart. Does Wal-Mart in PV sell stuff it doesn't here?

LOL... My hubby doesn't care where were at (Caribbean,Mx, Hawaii) if there's a McDonald's he's going to it.. Me personally I'd rather eat at a local restaurant, but he won't.. Luckily, he'll sit with me and have a drink while I eat .. : )

LOL... My hubby doesn't care where were at (Caribbean,Mx, Hawaii) if there's a McDonald's he's going to it.. Me personally I'd rather eat at a local restaurant, but he won't.. Luckily, he'll sit with me and have a drink while I eat .. : )

Always nice to get back home and have a nice , fat, sloppy , hamburger.

Woody

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to go to find cheap scrapbooking stuff (like pages and albums with a Mexican theme). Not there, but I did get to use some Spanish: papel, pluma...lol! My aunt wanted mouse. It was challenging figuring out which was gel and which was mouse in Spanish. I didn't learn that in school!

• 1 year later...

Just realized that some people go to Walmart to buy a small item to get change back in pesos. The rate is pretty decent for those who don't plan on spending a lot of money in Mexico. Something like 12:1 with no fees vs. 13:1 at the bank with fees.

In the end, I never question what someone wants to do.

Sure for me Walmart would not be a destination in any place. At the same time I know people who have been to PV many times and don't even want to get off the ship other than say to stock up at the walmart.

For us, we love PV but we do take about an hour to pick up some items at the Walmart. In our case this is because we are on very long cruises and sometimes this affords us the opportunity to pick up some last minute items that we realize we need.

But whatever makes someone happy in the end is really what is important.

As they say , don't worry; be happy.

Keith

Geez. I did not realize that Cruise Critic was now a political forum. The last time I checked nobody was forcing anyone to work in Walmart. As to Mexico, Walmart and low wages are not even the major problem, which is a corrupt government, corrupt police, etc. As to the drug war in Mexico, the only reason there is a drug war in Mexico is because Americans buy the drugs! Shoot all the drug addicts and drug pushers in the USA and the problem will quickly end in Mexico.

Hank

lol sounds legit shoot people that take and deal drugs :rolleyes:

I went to the WMT in PV for another reason;I work @ one in the states and wanted to see how they handle things. It is conmpletely different,their super centers are smaller, there is more space devoted to appliances, their employees are friendlier and you cabn tell them as they are still wearing vests [the US stores have stopped that 5 years ago]. I had about a 10 minute talk with their people greeter [the US stores just recently stopped this position] she said that they like these huge ships (there is a sign at ythe port and the stores are in walking distance), they also are using young women as greeterts versus Senior citzens that were used in the states.

Edited by Troyer5
spelling

• 5 weeks later...

I always enjoy popping in when I'm in PV. It's fun to look at all the different meats, cookies, candy and more that locals like. I've tried some of the coolest local sodas there too. It's just fun if you have some extra time while in port. Then again, I'm always checking out local grocery stores and markets no matter where I travel!