Travel Insurance/Medical

pugaddict

Does anyone know if your personal insurance would cover you, if you needed to seek medical attention on the ship, in Bermuda or be evacuated for the airplane for medical reasons. We have the Empire Plan. NY State Just wondering if I needed to get Trip insurance or not. thanks

Does anyone know if your personal insurance would cover you, if you needed to seek medical attention on the ship, in Bermuda or be evacuated for the airplane for medical reasons. We have the Empire Plan. NY State Just wondering if I needed to get Trip insurance or not. thanks

You need the trip insurance!!!

Well, I know that my medical coverage doesn't cover me if I get sick or injured on the cruise ship, or on the plane, or in Bermuda, or anywhere outside the US. I can't speak for your insurance.

I found out about my (lack of) coverage by calling my company and specifically asking those questions, and then went on to buy travel insurance, making sure I included coverage for my pre-existing health condition. (I have to be sure to buy coverage for that, no more than 10 days after I book my cruise)

That's what you should do, too -- call your insurance carrier and ask!

My medical insurance does cover me or my dependents on the ship or outside the US, but I'm expected to pay any medical costs myself and then file for reimbursement when I return to the US. Every insurance plan is different so make sure you check with your insurance company about your particular plan.

Yes, you will have to pay upfront and get money back later - if you are covered. And, just because someone else has insurance with the same company as you, your plan can easily be different.

One more reason to carry a credit card, or two.

I also have the Empire plan (Retired from NYSDOT) and it will cover me anywhere in the world. The problem is it may not be nearly enough if you have to be evacuated. As others have mentioned, you'll have to pay up front and wait for reinbursment.

Our medical plan did reimburse us for the $140 I paid for the ship's doctor. Regardless, we always buy travel insurance. I'd hate to have to be evacuated from the ship and have my medical carrier say "$140 we'll pay; $50,000 not."

This seems to be big reason so many people go for travel insurance. Make sure the one you get will cover this.

We actually do not buy travel insurance and figure we will deal with the fallout. We do have an ANNUAL evacuation policy that covers us all year, even if we drive to the beach, or fly anywhere in the world. Same price for one cruise or 10 cruises. Medjetassist is the one we use. There are others.\

We always buy Travel insurance, it saved us a few thousand this time! We will never go without it again. The insurance we bought was the primary. That makes alot of difference. They will pay up to $50,000 a year after we got back. The crazy thing is my DH didn't even get hurt, he has had knee trouble for years! Luckily he hadn't been to the doctor for that the 6 months prior to our trip. On the 12th day of our Hawaiian vacation, the next to the last day of our cruise, he could barely walk. We had to cancel our tour on Kauai that day. We got a free shuttle to the hospital. I called the insurance company and we haven't paid a penny. We told them up front that he didn't get hurt. We figured all they would pay would be the hospital bill there. WRONG! After we came home he seen the doc, had surgery, physical therapy and it has paid for it all!!!

Archived