Live from Tahitian B2B Transatlantic

paul929207

Hi Paul,

We miss you on the Ocean thread! :)

But it's nice to follow this thread since it's the same ship.

Paul,

Any chance you could obtain a dining room layout chart? If so, I'd love to have a copy. It's been about five years since I was on the Pacific Princess, and I don't know if the layout is the same (plus I didn't get a chart back then). If you're able to do so, you could let me know at: brucedodge at comcast dot net.

Many thanks,

Bruce

Bruce,

I will try, but keep in mind the ship will be in drydock before she becomes the Ocean, so it may change.

Hi Paul,

We miss you on the Ocean thread! :)

But it's nice to follow this thread since it's the same ship.

Paul,

Any chance you could obtain a dining room layout chart? If so, I'd love to have a copy. It's been about five years since I was on the Pacific Princess, and I don't know if the layout is the same (plus I didn't get a chart back then). If you're able to do so, you could let me know at: brucedodge at comcast dot net.

Many thanks,

Bruce

Bruce,

I will try, but keep in mind the ship will be in drydock before she becomes the Ocean, so it may change.

August 15 – Greenock, Scotland (for Glasgow and Edinburgh) – Continued

We found out after we left port that the town of Greenock offered free tours of the area. Needless to say, Princess did not advertise this.

About 200 passengers went to the Edinburgh Tattoo.

August 16 – At Sea

The seas were pretty rough this morning, and many people got back late from the Tattoo, so the ship was pretty quiet this morning.

We won both trivias toaday!!!!

August 17 – Torshavn, Faroe Islands, Denmark

This is a very scenic little port. We are tendered in the harbor because the HAL Massdam got here first and hogged the only berth for cruise ships. We took a Princess tour to see the Kirkjuboe ruins. These included a 12th century church, 9th century farmhouse and 13th century cathedral. The tour ended with a 60 minute walking tour of Torshavn.

Our guide told us that all the buses in Torshavn are free. Again, Princess forgot to mention this.

While Torshavn is a beautiful place in the summer, I would not want to spend the winter here. In late December, sunrise is about 10am and sunset is about 2:30pm.

August 18 – Seydisfjordur, Iceland

Seydisfjordur is a town with about 700 inhabitants. It is located at the end of a 10 mile long fjord on the east coast of Iceland.

With four others from our Roll Call, we hired a taxi for the day. The driver was recommended by another CC member who took this cruise last month. The guide is Jon Eidur Jonsson (email is jone@n1.is). The tour took us to the northeastern tip of Iceland, an area known as Borgarfjordur. It was a little over two hours there with several stops for photos. The scenery was breath taking the whole way. For anyone coming to this port, we did the same thing as Princess tour A. The only difference is that we did not have lunch included. Sorry, there is one other difference, Princess charged $229 per person and Jon charged $350 for the 6 of us.

Apparently, the puffins heard we were coming. They usually leave this part of Iceland by August 15, but they were still there today.

40's in the morning and 50's and 60's during the day. At times it has been very windy.

August 20 – Reykjavik

We had a wonderful day. We joined three couples from our roll call on a tour arranged by CC member Cboyle. We drove along the southern shore and stopped a number of times to see the natural beauty. We saw quite a few waterfalls, sea caps (islands left behind as the sea erodes the land), and natural bridges, also created by erosion. As we were driving back most of the clouds moved away giving us a great view of Hekla – Iceland’s most active volcano.

August 21 – At sea

This was the roughest night we have had. About 3am, my glasses and several other things were thrown off the little night table next to the bed. Fortunately, I realized it and picked them up before I stepped on the glasses.

I just joined CC after returning from the Fire and Ice trip from NY to Dover. Think Mark and I sat with you at the wine tasting that trip (with another couple).

Anyway, if Jim and Betsy (Atlanta) are one of the couples doing trips with you, tell them that Nancy and Mark say hi.

We're watching the hurricane and it seems to be heading up into those waters, but should only be a tropical storm by then.Wishing you all smooth sailing.

Nancy

August 20 – Reykjavik

We had a wonderful day. We joined three couples from our roll call on a tour arranged by CC member Cboyle. We drove along the southern shore and stopped a number of times to see the natural beauty. We saw quite a few waterfalls, sea caps (islands left behind as the sea erodes the land), and natural bridges, also created by erosion. As we were driving back most of the clouds moved away giving us a great view of Hekla – Iceland’s most active volcano.

August 21 – At sea

This was the roughest night we have had. About 3am, my glasses and several other things were thrown off the little night table next to the bed. Fortunately, I realized it and picked them up before I stepped on the glasses.

I just joined CC after returning from the Fire and Ice trip from NY to Dover. Think Mark and I sat with you at the wine tasting that trip (with another couple).

Anyway, if Jim and Betsy (Atlanta) are one of the couples doing trips with you, tell them that Nancy and Mark say hi.

We're watching the hurricane and it seems to be heading up into those waters, but should only be a tropical storm by then.Wishing you all smooth sailing.

Nancy

Yes, Jim & Betsy are part of the Roll Call group. We have done several private tours with them.

I think we did sit wth you at a wine tasting. On of the others was an elderly man that I was sure would fall asleep any minute :)

Hi There,

West Coast of Scotland has been having some real nasty weather,

being Scotland you drive 30 miles to East and you find a summers day,

sorry you missed the tatoo it is amazing, do you know what weather those that went got.

Keep posting when you get time

yours Shogun

Looking forward to connecting with cruise critic members on our future cruises. Must learn how to do all this in the meantime. Will use CC in the future for sure. The small van tours in the ports can sure save money if there is someone to coordinate qnd do the booking!

Trying to plan a New Zealand Cruise this fall. Hopefully some of our CC folks will be onboard.

Also, please try to contact our new friends Darlene and Roger from Honolulu and let them know we miss their company as well. They are on deck 6 in a suite at the stern.

Yes, luckily the gentleman seated with us at the wine tasting did not fall asleep!

Wishing you all a relatively calm entry into this side of the North Atlanitc!

Nancy:-):)

:)

Yes, Jim & Betsy are part of the Roll Call group. We have done several private tours with them.

I think we did sit wth you at a wine tasting. On of the others was an elderly man that I was sure would fall asleep any minute :)

August 22 – Prins Christian Sund – Scenic Cruising

We woke up today to a beautiful, sunny day. We are sailing thru a 60 mile long fjord today. We entered it about 8am and will leave it about 6pm. The scenery is breath taking.

thanks for posting such a good trip report. We were on the Doer-Dover trip along the Norwegian coast. We love the size of the R class ships and hope to sail on one again. Glad someone was able to win trivia. We only mamaged one day and one afeternnon win. Again, thanks Pat

August 22 – Prins Christian Sund – Scenic Cruising (Continued)

We had a little excitement late this morning. The captain got the iceberg report last night and everything looked good. About three hours into the fjord, we came around a bend and saw two large icebergs in the channel up ahead. Turns out the iceberg report received by the Tahitian Princess was missing the last line which mentioned these two. By the time we reached them, they were both well to the right side of the channel and we easily passed them.

Last night was the second formal night and the Captain’s Circle party. We have about 110 Elites, 220 Platinums and 210 Golds on board. The other 130 are blue. The top three have about 750, 650 and 610 days respectively. As we did on the way from NYC to Dover, we won one of the bottles of champagne.

We have not had internet connection for several hours as we traverse the fjord.

August 23 – Qaqortoq

This is our second visit here and the only port we visit going in each direction. HAL’s Maasdam is also in port today, so the port is overrun with tourists. We waited until about 11am to go in, so we avoided the worst of the crowds. We spent 45 minutes or so ashore, much of it talking with a couple we met on our Amazon cruise earlier this year.

We have a nice big iceberg parked in the harbor between the two boats. Most likely it came from the glaciers half way up the west coast of Greenland. They are calved there, carried south by the Greenland Current and then pushed by the wind into the harbor.

August 23 – Qaqortoq

This is our second visit here and the only port we visit going in each direction. HAL’s Maasdam is also in port today, so the port is overrun with tourists. We waited until about 11am to go in, so we avoided the worst of the crowds. We spent 45 minutes or so ashore, much of it talking with a couple we met on our Amazon cruise earlier this year.

We have a nice big iceberg parked in the harbor between the two boats. Most likely it came from the glaciers half way up the west coast of Greenland. They are calved there, carried south by the Greenland Current and then pushed by the wind into the harbor.

When we were there in September, my husband bought a nice zippered sweatshirt in the store right in front of where you get off the tender. It was not expensive and we just packed it for Alaska. We also had some Danish money left over, so we went to the supermarket and spent it there. Weather was cold; but clear. Unlike you we went on the first tender. Needed to be first to see the "bargains." :D

August 23 – Qaqortoq

Two ships in Qaqortok at the same time! I cannot imagine how crazed that must have been. I'm glad we had the place to ourselves on the eastbound voyage.

Looks like the water is relatively calm heading to St. Pierre on the webcam view, hope that means no bad effects from the departing hurricane Bill. Also noticed you don't seem to be plagued with the fog we had last trip. Is it smooth sailing?

Wendy,

We waited until about 11 to go ashore. We had arrived about 8am and the Maasdam was already there. Many people were already back on board bu the time we got on the tenders. Also, Qaqortoq offerred activities similar to the ones offered by Nanortalik.

August 26 – St. Pierre Et Miquelon, France

This is the only part of France in North America. It is a small group of islands about 16 miles south of Newfoundland. When we docked his morning, the weather was beautiful. It was sunny and about 60 degrees. There was little wind. Now (11am), it is cloudy, the temperature has dropped and the wind has picked up. Fortunately, we went to town early, so we are back before the weather gets worse. Rain is likely this afternoon. There is a free shuttle between the ship and the main part of town.

Archived