Your "waters" experience Canada/New England

sashas_mom

Hi all,

We have booked a Canada/New England cruise from New York to Quebec Sept. 17th, 2010. I've tried to find info regarding the waters being choppy on the ports of call, without much success. I do take Bonine, but when there's a rough day, I still have a hard time and would hate to be feeling bad for the whole cruise. Just wondering, is it every day or maybe a day or two..(I could handle that)? Would you tell me your experience please?

I am a Platinum member, so I do cruise often, but have never done the East Coast.

Thanks so much.

Sasha'smom

We've done Canada/New England twice, on the Montreal to Ney York City run.

The last time, Sep 97, on HAL's Westerdam (now Costa Europa) we did hit some chop while travelling South along Nova Scotia's coast, but we did not think it too bad.

Our first trip, way way back in Oct 92, on Crystal Harmony (now Asuka II) was very smooth the whole way.

Bottom line, there are no guarantees upon the water. Sea conditions can change rapidly.

I don't thing there are any definitive answers. Weather isn't under the control of anyone...and roughness of the ocean is tied to weather. When we took this cruise last year, we experienced choppiness on 3 days, which didn't bother us...but one other day when the sea seemed relatively calm, there was a particular rolling motion that made both of us a bit queasy. A seasick pill and a lie-down, and an hour or so later we were fine.

Anytime you are in the Atlantic- there is certainly the chance for choppy seas. I have done one to Nova Scotia and back and it was rough. I have done two one out of NYC and it was rough and another out of Baltimore and it was rough. But of course it wasn't rough the whole time.

My suggestion would be that you book low and midship.

Hi all' date='

We have booked a Canada/New England cruise from New York to Quebec Sept. 17th, 2010. I've tried to find info regarding the waters being choppy on the ports of call, without much success. [b']I do take Bonine[/b], but when there's a rough day, I still have a hard time and would hate to be feeling bad for the whole cruise. Just wondering, is it every day or maybe a day or two..(I could handle that)? Would you tell me your experience please?

I am a Platinum member, so I do cruise often, but have never done the East Coast.

Thanks so much.

Sasha'smom

Sasha'smom,

We cruised from NY to Montreal on the Regal Princess in early October 2004. At no time did we experience any choppy seas onboard the ship. Only the long tender ride into Newport, RI was rough.

We did another Canada/New England cruise last year roundtrip from NY, and did not encounter any rough seas then either.

The cruise up the St. Lawrence river and Saguenay fjord is especially scenic, and we have fond memories of that cruise. Enjoy.:)

David

The experiences that others have on this itinerary have little bearing on what you might encounter. Surely, since you have done so many cruises, you know that the weather is unpredictable at best. For the most part, you can expect decent weather (seas) there at that time of year; you major concern would be if there is a hurricane which goes up the east coast and blows itself out into the Atlantic up near Nova Scotia which has happened. Take your cruise and stop stressing about it ahead of time - it avails you nothing to do that:)

My wife and I have done this cruise twice and doing it again this Sept. Despite heavy fog in Halifax the only time we had bad weather was when Hurrican Ivan caught up to us in Newport RI. That was exciting!

Sasha's Mom

hope you have a great cruise - my suggestion is to get a pair of SEA BANDS. They are terrycloth bands which have a plastic "button" on the inside. You wear on your wrists, with the button on the inside pressing on your pulse points. I believe that they are incredible. I use them for all my cruises and also bus, car and train trips. I would never travel without them.

We have done this run twice, once from Montreal to NY and a 10 day NY to Quebec. The only hint of rough water was leaving the Gulf of St Lawerence and entering the Atlantic and that was very slight. The Atlantic is unpredictable at best but I would be overly concerned. Chances are you will have great weather.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I'll take the cruise and hope for the best. I do understand each experience can be different depending on the weather, but your answers gave me confidence that I will enjoy this cruise.

Thanks so much.

Sasha'smom

Archived