Best place to buy hammock on western itinerary?

crzjnke

We just purchased a home this year that has many large shade trees! I've been holding off on buying a hammock until our trip. If you've purchased one on a cruise, where is the best place to buy one out of the following ports: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan? Thanks!

We just purchased a home this year that has many large shade trees! I've been holding off on buying a hammock until our trip. If you've purchased one on a cruise, where is the best place to buy one out of the following ports: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan? Thanks!

Pawley's Island South Carolina, since you are in the south.

They are world famous and I know alot of the large chain stores get theirs from PI.....

Getting them direct from the source, they are cheap.....;)

Nothing better than sitting in a hammock under a shade tree on a 90+ degree day in the south.

If you must get one on the Western Itinerary, Cozumel is definitely the place.:D

Bill

Yeah....I've seen them in Coz too. Frankly they didn't look like the type of hammock I would consider buying. I'm sure better quality and variety can be found on the internet for less money. Plus you don't have to lug the thing home. :)

We went to Tabyana beach through Carnival. There was an older Honduran gentleman that was selling some very nice looking hammocks for only $20!!! He told me they were 'muy bueno'. He invited me to try out the one he had been occupying all afternoon....I politely passed, as I am not very coordinated, and feared I would roll out of the thing.

So, if you make it to Tabyana, and if the guy is still there, I would buy one there! BTW....Tabyana is a beautiful beach!!

We bought ours in Cozumel back in '04 and it is still going strong! It could hold all four of us if we wanted it to, which is exactly what I wanted.

If you walk even a block from the main street, they are less expensive, so keep that in mind. :)

If you buy one ask them if you can check it out. Look for one that is closely woven. Also, it is best if you can try it out - not a model, but the one you intend to buy. LOL! I know from experience. I bought one in Progreso. It looked great when he was holding it up, but it was actually woven too short in the middle. Ask for a matrimonial hammock they are much bigger and deeper. You will not have as much problems.

The best place for hammocks is actually Merida if you ever stop in Progreso. There are several stores that will hang them up and let you try them out. It is not touristy, and many are pricey. A good sisal hammock chair was going to run me $80.00 US. I passed, and I regret it. It was beautiful!

Archived