MSC Cruises compared to Norwegian Jade

citoman

I am planning a family cruise for the winter holidays and were considering the MSC Splendida European cruise. After reading some of the reviews we are having second thoughts about cruising with the MSC cruise line. I read that compared to other cruise lines (Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Celebrity, etc) they charge you for almost anything (room service, Specialty restauraurants charge you per item, etc- they even charge you for port maps!!). Is this true?

The MSC cruise line have a very good offer were they will not charge you for children travelling with adults in the same cabin and also have very good prices for balcony staterooms, but if they charge you for every single thing inside the ship we will end up spending more money than if we take a more expensive cruise line. Also I read they are very strict about passengers bringing even bottles of mineral water with them. They confiscate drinks and food brought on board.

Can anyone help me decide between going on the MSC Splendida or the Norwegian Jade European cruise in December 2009?

I would JUMP at any chance of cruising on SPLENDIDA. That ship looks mor beautiful. I have never done NCL but MSC is a niche upon itself.... cannot and should not be compared. It really depends on what you want out of your cruise vacation. While they do charge for items that other lines may not charge for, you have the option of not doing those things. What they do offer is wonderful dance venues with top musicans. They offer wonderful lounges with decor that is beyond spectacular. They have wonderful food, and yes they do charge a slight fee for gelato....but RCI charges a lot more for Ben & Jerrys. This is homemade freshly made gelato. Their entertainment is so much higher level than anything we have seen on any other X or RCI cruise.

The level is more fine art than high school production. Yes the specialty restaurant is a la carte which allows you to buy what you want. I have heard it was very reasonable for what was ordered and it usually ends up to be around 25 per person. You said that they are charging less for fares... do you really think the add ons will amount to what other lines charge? Their drinks are most reasonable. You pay in Euros so you need to figure out the conversion there. The ship is magnificent looking. IF the ports are good, and the price is good... and you are not going to compare it with the 'american' market ships... you will love it. If you are open to a new and different experience then you should try it.

It is true that they charge extra for many things that may be free on their caribbean sailings or on other lines but they do not charge for everything. It really depends on whether you intend to need all the things that have an extra charge or not.

On my last cruise the only extras that I had were spa treatmenst (extra every line), alcholic and soft drink packages, wine and water every evening and shuttle buses, room service one day and some beer out the mini bar. Total bill 200 euros for a week. I paid £800 for the second highest grade cabin on the Fantasia and included my flights frpm Edinburgh via Gatwick and transfers. A similar cruise on another line would have cost far more than 200 euros extra and I would still have had to pay for the spa and alchol.

If you eat all your melas at the buffet or dining room then you dont have any extras for food. Some of the speciality restaurants are a la carte with items priced individually but some also have a flat cover charge.

If you like casual anytime dining and food and drink available 24/7 then you are not going to find that on MSC.

persdonally i love them because of the beauty and cleanliness of the ships, the quality of the entertainment (which includes very talented classical musicaians), the multi cultural vibe and the many languages spoken onboard, the fact that they are quite relaxed ships with no hard sell of anything, constant announcements and someone bugging you all the time to have "fun" and take part in some daft embarrassing game. they do not however suit everyone. You should also be aware that on European sailings English speakers will be in the minority which I enjoy as it makes me feel more like I'm overseas.

If you are truly interested in a balanced recommendation on this you might want to ask the same question in the NCL forum and see what those folks think. I believe you will find that just as there are folks on here who only sing the praises of MSC, there are just as many on the NCL board who will say that you would be crazy to sail anything but NCL. As one who has sailed both lines I will say there is a great deal of difference between the two. What YOU have to do is do your research here on CC and elsewhere to see which line offers a style and personality that you and your traveling companions prefer, or can at least accept. Don't base your decision on what I or anyone else on these boards tell you is best for you, but use it as a basis for making an educated choice.

As for my answer to some of your statements:

If you want to look at it that way, almost every line charges extra for certain items. Whether it be specialty resturants, soft drinks, ice cream, etc. there are items which, if you want them, you will be required to pay for them. Know that going in so you aren't suprised. I remember how wonderful I thought it was on my first cruise when a lovely lady brought around a tray of fruity drinks and asked me if I'd like one. I was thrilled, thinking man this is really nice of them, until she asked me for my card and proceeded to write me a bill to sign. Oh...drinks aren't included. OK, lesson learned. Be prepared for the extras.

The kid's sail free on MSC is a great drawing offer, but it too must be weighed against what that entails, like more kids on the ship, crowded pools, all the buttons on the elevator being pushed (you know it happens), etc.

The major difference to me between the two lines is customer service/attitude. I personally received both poor customer service and what I considered to be a terrible attitude toward their paying customers on my one MSC transfer. I refer to it that way because I felt more like I was being transported from port to port rather than having a cruise vacation experience. I have sailed NCL twice before and twice after this trip and have always felt that they were there providing me with fun vacation opportunities. Most every concern that I have encountered on an NCL sailing has been delt with swiftly and professionally. Sorry, but I can't say the same for MSC.

Do your research, make a decision that you are happy with which ever one it is, and have a great trip.

Another big difference between the two lines is that there are no set dinner seating times on NCL. However, there can be a small wait at even the large free dining rooms at peak times. If you don't like sharing a table with strangers there are plenty of two-tops and four -tops. I like the casual atmosphere of NCL - but the constant hard sell announcements can drive you nuts. Haven't sailed MSC yet, but looking forward to a Splendida cruise later this year. We have loved our land based Europe trips and hope MSC will provide a European atmosphere while on board. I really liked the MSC itineraries also, many ports are easy to DIY and save some dineros.

Hi

we cruised with NCL and we cruised with MSC - and it is a complete different cruising experience.

I enjoyed both - but do not compare!

MSC has a very good "children travel for free" policy and they also offer very low single suppl. charges during low season.

The ship is equipped with everything, lots of bars, nice theatre, restaurants....

BUT: very few alternative dining options, no 24h roomservice for free, excursions are expensive, not that choice of food.

NCL offers fair rate for children, charges a 100 % single supplement (grrrr), they have an unlimited soda programm.

I think, NCL offers the better product - but if you don´t use many of the things they offer - you have no need to spend money for that!

It is no problem to get informations about ports and trips online - no need to book an expensive excursions (we did everything in our own - MSC AND NCL)

You cant rent a car at most ports - or just use ship shuttle bus and walk.

You can send a request to the tourist boards and will receive maps and guides for free in advance of your trip.

There ist no need to order from room service - I think, there are many possibilities on both kind of ships to get something to eat - maybe there is a very short time, were the buffet restaurant is closed....

So: compare YOUR needs and than make a choice - I would do the same and would travel with both companies again...

Wendy

Archived