My last blog entry

Hey everyone,

I posted my last blog entry on my site but figured I should post it here also because a lot of you who read it are on here. Mods please don't move this to the blog forum because most of my readers are NCL people.

Thanks

Greetings everyone,

The time has come for me to post my last blog entry. Looking back at the past three years working in Hawaii I sure have experienced some wonderful things. When I started doing the blog and postings on cruise critic I never would guess the amount of wonderful people I have met because of this. I actually started posting on cruisecritic.com back as a Freshman in High School and it played a big part in my excitement towards wanting to work on the ships. While the journey has been expensive and stressful at times, I got to accomplish and experience some things I never guessed I would get the chance to do. One of the most emotional nights ever on the ship was the night we got word that the CEO at the time was coming to announce a major change to our American fleet. In the past the company said that after pulling the Pride Of Hawaii that if two ships didn't work then both would be pulled so everyone on the ship was expecting the worst. I remember after closing down the outside part of the buffet and stacking all the tables and chairs our Chief Financial Accountant just came to the very back and said she needed some quiet fresh air and just started crying. The following morning I was one of the few selected that was not allowed to go to the meeting to help staff the Aloha Cafe Buffet while my coworkers went. Halfway into the meeting my Food and Beverage Director came to get me. I really wasn't sure what the reason was for but then I got to meet some wonderful people from Miami who invited me to come visit the office. The trip was great and it ended with a self guided tour of the Norwegian Jewel. It was funny how such a dreaded day turned out to be one of my happiest even though they announced they were reducing the American division in half.

A few months later I got to experience another special thing. I was selected to go to the Norwegian Jade to help spread the news of the new features of the recently launched Freestyle 2.0. The beautiful cruise took me around the Greek Islands, riding a camel through Egypt and ended at Aker Yards for the Keel laying of the F3 ship, now called the Norwegian Epic. This was my first time at a ships keel laying and I was very proud to be the 7th person to place my coin on its keel. I was very proud of this ship mainly for that reason and I got worried with all the rumors that the ship would be scrapped and never set sail. I'm very glad to see shes being built and would love to cruise on her someday.

Over the past three years I celebrated many holidays on the ship including the past three July 4ths in a row.

Being on the ship can be lonely at times so I loved being able to share my experiences with everyone back home. Before I knew it the emails came pouring in and I found myself unable to reply due to time limits and the overall amount.

The main part of my blog that I'm so happy about is the people I got to meet during this journey. I never really realized how strong some friendships can grow because of a simple blog site. Some I still talk to on email, some I have even cruised with as passengers. A few years back I met someone who turned into my best friend and have spent the past 10 days being shown around his beautiful country of Australia. Some of the best people I have talked to, gotten to know and met were because of the site and I'm ever so grateful. I know that most people will be disappointed to see me stop and part of me feels like I'm letting them down but I have to do what I think is best for me. The cruise industry is one crazy place to work and time is hard to find. I have also ran out of ideas of blogs that can cover ok topics.

So once again I just want to thank everyone for their support over the past three years. 449,613 views on youtube.com, hundreds of thousands of thread hits on cruisecritic and 150,000 website hits in a year is pretty impressive for doing no website advertising and I owe it all to you.

I go back to the ship on Aug 23rd and I will still be doing twitter so just follow me here http://www.twitter.com/cruiseshipcrew

Thank you so much everyone!!!!!!

James

ohioNCLcruiser

Thank you so much James for all your wonderful posts, it has been a pleasure to read them.

If you feel like to do a special entry here and there, I'll always be happy to hear from you.

I hope life brings you the very best.

Julie

James... I don't even think it is necessary to tell you what you mean to this board and how much your contributions to it over the years has meant to us all. Good luck in every thing you do. What an adventerous spirit you have and that will get you very far in life. I hope you find every thing you are looking for.. 8-). Don't know if you have ever read it, but try to find a childrens book called The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein. One of my favorite books as a child and still to this day. Don't know why, but just get the feeling you would enjoy it. I know your posting is about your blog and I know you will still be here with us from time to time, but just wanted to join in with every one in saying thanks.

James, as others have said, you have been a great contributor to CC. I hope you continue to post here. We have learned a lot from you. I for one kept going back to your blog since your last entry in May and was disappointed each time that there was not a new entry.

Thank you for all your contributions and all the best to you.

I haven't been here as long as many of the people here on CC, but I also want to wish you well. You are living the life I would have loved to have been living at your age! :) Enjoy your youth and do and see as much as you can (I'm not sure what's left after looking at your FB pictures!). You have been a big help to many here and will be missed.

Cheers!

James, thanks for the blog over the course of your contracts. I will miss checking it out, but can understand that it is both costly, and time consuming. I just hope there has not been pressure from NCL to cause this.

Al

Archived