Manhattan the Day before Cruise .. Info Please!

Catrin

We are driving from RI to NYC for a late August Cruise.

The kids want to do the "Tourist Thing" in NYC.. Rockefeller Center, Empire State Bldg, Times Square, etc....

a couple questions....

1) Should we PARK at the Cruise terminal and then take taxi to Manhattan? We will most likely get hotel near Times Square. Or park at the hotel?

2) How much is a taxi from the Cruise Terminal to Times Square?

3) Is this even worth it?

Thanks for any feedback!

Catrin

We are driving from RI to NYC for a late August Cruise.

The kids want to do the "Tourist Thing" in NYC.. Rockefeller Center, Empire State Bldg, Times Square, etc....

a couple questions....

1) Should we PARK at the Cruise terminal and then take taxi to Manhattan? We will most likely get hotel near Times Square. Or park at the hotel?

you can only park at the cruise terminal when a ship is in. Otherwise its closed.

not much less than $10but see above

Thanks for any feedback!

Catrin

see above in red

One thing that you'll have to find out is what terminal you'll be departing from. There are three that serve New York City. Princess and Cunard's QM2 depart from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity depart from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, and most other lines depart from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Once you determine where you're going to need to be it will be easier to get the type of advice you seek.

One thing that you'll have to find out is what terminal you'll be departing from. There are three that serve New York City. Princess and Cunard's QM2 depart from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity depart from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, and most other lines depart from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Once you determine where you're going to need to be it will be easier to get the type of advice you seek.

Her signature shows the Carnival Triumph which is out of Manhattan.

Hi there! I leave on the Triumph this Saturday, so I believe you will be departing form the Manhattan cruise terminal, which is somewhere around 55th and 12th. A cab ride from there to the Times Square area is a matter of blocks and should probably run you about $20. There is definitely a lot to see in the area, so it would be worth it for the kids if you have the time to do it. Have fun!

Paula

Hi there! I leave on the Triumph this Saturday, so I believe you will be departing form the Manhattan cruise terminal, which is somewhere around 55th and 12th. A cab ride from there to the Times Square area is a matter of blocks and should probably run you about $20. There is definitely a lot to see in the area, so it would be worth it for the kids if you have the time to do it. Have fun!

Paula

$20! its less than a mile from 55th and 12th(the motor entrance) to 7th avenue and 48th street-the center of Times Square. actually the motor exit is at 46 and 12th even closer to times square! I repeat its less than $10. Its $2.50 for the first fifth of mile and .40 cents for each fifth there after(plus .40 for each period of time going less than 12 miles per hour). Even during rush hour it won't take that long or cost that much.. Even with the best tip in the world it shouldn't be that much! in a metered yellow cab.

try this site

http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/

by the way it shows the Fare as $5.70(note less than $10.00)----from the terminal to 42 and 7th avenue longer than it actually is....

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

The amount you spend for parking will likely be much greater than any amount you spend within Manhattan for transportation, be it taxi, bus, or walking. It might be more convenient parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal with respect to schlepping luggage, but you'll need to balance that against the possibility of getting a lower parking rate at your hotel or a garage. As another has noted you might not be able to access the Manhattan Cruise Port parking lot until the day of your departure. You can check the port's schedule here. http://www.nycruise.com/sched_2009_nyc.html

Taxi fares are $2.50 flag drop plus $2.00 per mile. It is a cheap fare that, even with tip, should be less than $10.

It is a short enough distance that you can walk easily. It depends if you're going to be burdened with luggage, it it is raining, or if you simply want the comfort and convenience of a taxi or bus. If I were making the journey myself, and traveling as I typically do (i.e., one suitcase on wheels and perhaps a flight bag or two) I would most likely walk or take the bus (either the M42 or the M50).

And also,the lines on weekends for the Empire State Building are LOOONG. If you only have 1 day in the city,it might be best to avoid it.

I agree. I also figure that the "touristy" thing to do in NYC is to get a picture or 2 of the empire state building (which can't be done while standing on it). We did a canada cruise in June and toured NYC some the day prior to sailing. We went to The top of the rock (rockefeller center) and found the views to be outstanding. We had near perfect weather which I assume would be needed for good views of the city. As far as walking/parking issues you have I would park at the hotel and then move the vehicle to the terminal the day your cruise begins. If you park at the terminal (assuming they are open to let you) then you'd have not 1 but 2 trips with the children and luggage in a cab or walking the short distance to times square.

If it were me, I would stay at the Courtyard in Jersey City which is right next to the PATH train to Manhattan and commute in for the day. The hotel will be cheaper and the parking will be cheaper and there is no schlepping luggage other than into the hotel. Then on cruise day just drive to the pier. No taxi's needed. Also, if you are doing a full day touring in NYC, look into the City Pass. I did this a couple of years ago and it saved me about half the cost of all the admissions. You need to pack in a full day to take the most advantage of it though.

Archived