What currency do I tip in?

Thucydides

I am leaving on a Baltic cruise on Sunday out of dover. After reading the forums, I understand that I should tip people for things like room service and shore excursions. My question is, do I tip them in dollars, pounds, or Euros? Does it matter?

Thanks for the help.

On shore excursions, IF you want to tip, do it in the local currency that you pay for the tour in.

On the ship, if Dollars is the accepted payment, do it in that. Don't try to match currency to your steward's nationality or different ports.

On shore excursions, IF you want to tip, do it in the local currency that you pay for the tour in.

On the ship, if Dollars is the accepted payment, do it in that. Don't try to match currency to your steward's nationality or different ports.

I agree. This is the way to do it.

Ok when I went years ago on a tour from the ship that I was on, we never tipped for that so this is new to me

Do you tip the person who is leading you on the tour even if you have signed up with the cruise ship ? As I thought that they got the money that we pay to take this tour.

How much do you give them is my next question and is it expected each time to do this? I just do not want to be rude so I had better find out before I go on these tours right? :confused:

Thanks for your help

pom

Ok when I went years ago on a tour from the ship that I was on, we never tipped for that so this is new to me

Do you tip the person who is leading you on the tour even if you have signed up with the cruise ship ? As I thought that they got the money that we pay to take this tour.

How much do you give them is my next question and is it expected each time to do this? I just do not want to be rude so I had better find out before I go on these tours right? :confused:

Thanks for your help

pom

If you're going round the Baltic Sea, where every country has its own currency, it's probably best to tip in euros, which many countries in Europe outside the euro can deal with easily enough. Just 3 or 4 is enough. If you're tipping in cash to your stewards, it depends where the ship is based ie.NCL Jewel is doing the Baltic run from Dover, so they will be happy with £, $ or e, but they are due back in the US in autumn, so may prefer $.-jocap.

We're doing the Australia - New Zealand cruise in January, (we are Australian) on Rhapsody which is a US ship. Do we need to tip on the ship in USD or can we use Aus $? The ship will be based in Australia for the southern summer season.

Thanks...

Thanks for your help

pom

No, you do not HAVE to tip your ship excursion tour guide. You are correct that you have bought and paid for a tour which includes the guide.

(Even Rick Steves, the travel expert that many here look to as the man to listen to, says the same. ) Some people however feel the need to tip. It's a U.S. thing. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Sometimes if a guide is just above and beyond what people expect, they tip something. Some people here have reportedly tipped up to 20% which I think is ridiculous, but it's their money.

Things get really tricky if booking private tours... Especially in Europe where tipping is not the custom among themselves. That's when discussion turns interesting.

We took the Baltic Sea Cruise last June 12th. Regardless of where we were, we tipped in dollars, with knowledge of what the exchage rate was in each country. In St Petersburg, Russia we took a 2 day private tour with Red October, the Russian tour agency and were encouraged to tip in American dollars, the same as one would at a good dinning establishment-10-20% depending on the service. The tour was extraordinary and we tipped our tour guide and driver accordingly.icon7.gif

We took the Baltic Sea Cruise last June 12th. Regardless of where we were, we tipped in dollars, with knowledge of what the exchage rate was in each country. In St Petersburg, Russia we took a 2 day private tour with Red October, the Russian tour agency and were encouraged to tip in American dollars, the same as one would at a good dinning establishment-10-20% depending on the service. The tour was extraordinary and we tipped our tour guide and driver accordingly.icon7.gif

Can I ask WHO "encouraged" you to tip 10-20%?

Archived