Choice air

Lookingforfacts

:mad: When making my RCL cruise reservation earlier this year, they referred me to their Choice Air program. I made Choice Air reservations on the same day I made the cruise reservations. I was very careful to ensure the cross-country routing had reasonable connection times while avoiding delay-prone airports. I was happy with the original reservation.

Then months later, without telling me, Choice Air changed my routing which I happened to discover when reviewing all my cruise reservations. Intead of having a 2 hour 44 minute connection on my cross-country flight, I have only 1 hour 10 minutes to change planes, change terminals, and get all my baggage to the new plane - yes, late in the day when weather and mechanical delays are at their worst.

The airline has acknowledged the tight connection and has agreed to change the routing AT NO COST, however, they must have Choice Air make the arrangement since they are the "travel agent." I've gone back and forth with multiple Choice Air reps who: a) don't care, b) don't have the power to do anything, c) threatened to impose fees since this is what they consider a "voluntary guest requested change." Now I have to wait 48-72 hours for a Choice Air supervisor to call me back. Their customer service is a joke. Choice Air's response was "a 20 minute connection is acceptable." After making the reservations, I secured a real travel agent to manage the vacation. He contacted Choice Air as well who stated they wouldn't do anything - again even though the airline agreed to make the routing change FOR FREE.

I will NEVER EVER use Choice Air again. They say they are the cheapest but I found cheaper flights on my own. I wanted to book through Choice Air since they offer some form of assistance in getting to the final destination but it's not worth it. Now I get to look forward to running through an airport on my vacation.

You lose all control with Choice Air. Read their policies. They can modify your reservation at any time without notice. You cannot cancel. You are entirely at their mercy and they are not looking out for you.

I wish I would have known this before making the reservation. Learn from me. I encourage you to explore all travel options - don't blindly settle for Choice Air like I did.

• 4 months later...
:mad: When making my RCL cruise reservation earlier this year, they referred me to their Choice Air program. I made Choice Air reservations on the same day I made the cruise reservations. I was very careful to ensure the cross-country routing had reasonable connection times while avoiding delay-prone airports. I was happy with the original reservation.

Then months later, without telling me, Choice Air changed my routing which I happened to discover when reviewing all my cruise reservations. Intead of having a 2 hour 44 minute connection on my cross-country flight, I have only 1 hour 10 minutes to change planes, change terminals, and get all my baggage to the new plane - yes, late in the day when weather and mechanical delays are at their worst.

The airline has acknowledged the tight connection and has agreed to change the routing AT NO COST, however, they must have Choice Air make the arrangement since they are the "travel agent." I've gone back and forth with multiple Choice Air reps who: a) don't care, b) don't have the power to do anything, c) threatened to impose fees since this is what they consider a "voluntary guest requested change." Now I have to wait 48-72 hours for a Choice Air supervisor to call me back. Their customer service is a joke. Choice Air's response was "a 20 minute connection is acceptable." After making the reservations, I secured a real travel agent to manage the vacation. He contacted Choice Air as well who stated they wouldn't do anything - again even though the airline agreed to make the routing change FOR FREE.

I will NEVER EVER use Choice Air again. They say they are the cheapest but I found cheaper flights on my own. I wanted to book through Choice Air since they offer some form of assistance in getting to the final destination but it's not worth it. Now I get to look forward to running through an airport on my vacation.

You lose all control with Choice Air. Read their policies. They can modify your reservation at any time without notice. You cannot cancel. You are entirely at their mercy and they are not looking out for you.

I wish I would have known this before making the reservation. Learn from me. I encourage you to explore all travel options - don't blindly settle for Choice Air like I did.

Ahhh. But my enticement is a $1000 cruise credit and apparently lower than published airline fares. ( I have looked online at airline sites assuming a sooner than actual travel day and compared cost to same ChoiceAir fare). I'm awaiting my 330 days out to book a one way flight. Your thoughts? Is flexfare better at a few more dollars? It's what I'm leaning towards...

Edited by Opal91086

Seventy minutes is a perfectly acceptable connection time. If the weather is bad, your connection time won't matter in the big picture as the entire system will be backed up.

That said, I always book my own air, and highly doubt that will change anytime soon.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Ahhh. But my enticement is a $1000 cruise credit and apparently lower than published airline fares. ( I have looked online at airline sites assuming a sooner than actual travel day and compared cost to same ChoiceAir fare). I'm awaiting my 330 days out to book a one way flight. Your thoughts? Is flexfare better at a few more dollars? It's what I'm leaning towards...

You resurrected an old thread. Having said that, if you know what you are buying when you buy Choice Air and you can live with that, then do it but proceed with extreme caution. Definitely fly in a couple of days earlier if it is international. Realize you might not have the flexibility for changes with Choice Air that you do with other tickets. Check other options - like some low fare carriers that might fly close to where you want to go or using more reputable consolidators that don't have the Choice Air restrictions.

If it is a difference of "a few more dollars" I definitely would not use Choice Air.

Ahhh. But my enticement is a $1000 cruise credit and apparently lower than published airline fares.

"lower than published airline fares" should make you IMMEDIATELY AWARE that these are consolidator tickets with heavy restrictions.

Generally NO re-routing, NO endorsability (your tickets are NO GOOD on another airline) and the tickets may even be booked under a cruise/air package code. IF you don't take the cruise, you are just SOL because you HAVE to take the cruise to get that lower air price. You won't know this because Choice Air posts VERY limited fare rules-they are certainly NOT complete. AND the restrictions on their "lower than published airline fares" can be anything the cruise lines and airline agree to. Are you willing to take that chance?

You can find one way airline tickets at very reasonable prices just by simply thinking "out of the box". I am doing a TA on Dec. 1 from Rome. I actually found a trip to Iceland via Iceland Air that includes 3 nights hotels, RT air and 3 tours including two nights to see the Northern Lights for just slightly more than $1000. I am bailing on the RT air ticket (yes, Iceland Air's vacation division knows all about it and I have it in writing) and flying from Iceland to Rome. $312 one way. So for just under $1400, I have air to Iceland to see the northern lights (which is the whole point of going to Iceland in November), air to Rome for the cruise, 3 nights hotels in Iceland plus tours. Iceland is VERY expensive, so this was a true bargain. Hotels alone the last time we went (summer) were right at $800 for 3 nights.

Just got to think out of the box and not just go to Travelocity, Delta, AA, US, Expedia and put in 1 way air from XXX to YYY and THINK that is all you are going to get. There are MANY, MANY options. Good luck!!!

Ahhh. But my enticement is a $1000 cruise credit and apparently lower than published airline fares.

"lower than published airline fares" should make you IMMEDIATELY AWARE that these are consolidator tickets with heavy restrictions.

Generally NO re-routing, NO endorsability (your tickets are NO GOOD on another airline) and the tickets may even be booked under a cruise/air package code. IF you don't take the cruise, you are just SOL because you HAVE to take the cruise to get that lower air price. You won't know this because Choice Air posts VERY limited fare rules-they are certainly NOT complete. AND the restrictions on their "lower than published airline fares" can be anything the cruise lines and airline agree to. Are you willing to take that chance?

You can find one way airline tickets at very reasonable prices just by simply thinking "out of the box". I am doing a TA on Dec. 1 from Rome. I actually found a trip to Iceland via Iceland Air that includes 3 nights hotels, RT air and 3 tours including two nights to see the Northern Lights for just slightly more than $1000. I am bailing on the RT air ticket (yes, Iceland Air's vacation division knows all about it and I have it in writing) and flying from Iceland to Rome. $312 one way. So for just under $1400, I have air to Iceland to see the northern lights (which is the whole point of going to Iceland in November), air to Rome for the cruise, 3 nights hotels in Iceland plus tours. Iceland is VERY expensive, so this was a true bargain. Hotels alone the last time we went (summer) were right at $800 for 3 nights.

Just got to think out of the box and not just go to Travelocity, Delta, AA, US, Expedia and put in 1 way air from XXX to YYY and THINK that is all you are going to get. There are MANY, MANY options. Good luck!!!

Iceland is VERY expensive, so this was a true bargain.

Know you've been before, but just remember the most important tip for Iceland: Duty Free on Arrival. Get your beer, wine and spirits at the airport for your stay!!

Second...if you haven't been out to Jokulsarlon Lagoon, check if you can have that for one of your tours. Definitely worth the ride from Reykjavik.

If your package has you at the Natura, see if you can get one of the Poet rooms and maybe look out onto the airport.

You resurrected an old thread. Having said that, if you know what you are buying when you buy Choice Air and you can live with that, then do it but proceed with extreme caution. Definitely fly in a couple of days earlier if it is international. Realize you might not have the flexibility for changes with Choice Air that you do with other tickets. Check other options - like some low fare carriers that might fly close to where you want to go or using more reputable consolidators that don't have the Choice Air restrictions.

If it is a difference of "a few more dollars" I definitely would not use Choice Air.

Thank you! I plan to book a flex fare. The credit will almost pay for my flights.

Good! Sometimes the same rants by the same people end up having people lose the forest for the trees.

How can you say that?? She didn't comprehend anything you posted. "I will be careful"-how careful can you be when you truly have no idea what Choice Air offers.

This lady basically has NO IDEA what she is buying or she wouldn't have been stuck on "lower than published" and the $1000 cruise credit.

And flex fare only means you pay when you pay for your cruise. The price could go up, the flights may not be available because they have been sold out. There are no guarantees that flex fares get you what you want at the price you want to pay. You just aren't paying for an airline ticket in advance of final payment for your cruise.

And if she is getting $1000 cruise credit and needs a one way fare, you KNOW there are cheaper PUBLISHED fares available most of the time to/from Europe because this is most likely a repo and they are usually done during non peak times.

She is from MA, PRIME area to use Aer Lingus to Europe. MUCH smaller European connecting airport than most that would be available on Choice Air. Or take the short hopper to JFK and the entire airline world opens up with some super prices on some very good airlines (generally NOT US airlines-they don't sell cheap one way tickets). Too many Americans are hung up on flying Delta, AA, US, United. They wouldn't even examine flying Iceland, Aer Lingus, Air Berlin, Transat or some of the other options to Europe on airlines that sell TRUE one way tickets to Europe at one way prices.

Why don't you offer some concrete DIRECTION and point out the pitfalls (which I have a feeling she doesn't realize) instead of blasting someone else? OR offer some help on the myriad of airlines that fly to Europe? Or point her Gardyloo's excellent posts about buying AA miles to get to Europe?

How can you say that?? She didn't comprehend anything you posted. "I will be careful"-how careful can you be when you truly have no idea what Choice Air offers.

This lady basically has NO IDEA what she is buying or she wouldn't have been stuck on "lower than published" and the $1000 cruise credit.

And flex fare only means you pay when you pay for your cruise. The price could go up, the flights may not be available because they have been sold out. There are no guarantees that flex fares get you what you want at the price you want to pay. You just aren't paying for an airline ticket in advance of final payment for your cruise.

And if she is getting $1000 cruise credit and needs a one way fare, you KNOW there are cheaper PUBLISHED fares available most of the time to/from Europe because this is most likely a repo and they are usually done during non peak times.

She is from MA, PRIME area to use Aer Lingus to Europe. MUCH smaller European connecting airport than most that would be available on Choice Air. Or take the short hopper to JFK and the entire airline world opens up with some super prices on some very good airlines (generally NOT US airlines-they don't sell cheap one way tickets). Too many Americans are hung up on flying Delta, AA, US, United. They wouldn't even examine flying Iceland, Aer Lingus, Air Berlin, Transat or some of the other options to Europe on airlines that sell TRUE one way tickets to Europe at one way prices.

Why don't you offer some concrete DIRECTION and point out the pitfalls (which I have a feeling she doesn't realize) instead of blasting someone else? OR offer some help on the myriad of airlines that fly to Europe? Or point her Gardyloo's excellent posts about buying AA miles to get to Europe?

Wow. So much helpful information to explore. I am a very good trip planner under most circumstances. Guess I need to be sure to look past the $1000 credit. We plan to leave 4 or 5 days before the cruise. Any other advice? :)

Know you've been before, but just remember the most important tip for Iceland: Duty Free on Arrival. Get your beer, wine and spirits at the airport for your stay!!

Second...if you haven't been out to Jokulsarlon Lagoon, check if you can have that for one of your tours. Definitely worth the ride from Reykjavik.

If your package has you at the Natura, see if you can get one of the Poet rooms and maybe look out onto the airport.

Thanks for the tip. Wish we would have paid attention last time about the arrival duty free. We just ran off the plane and ran to the shuttle. The beer bill was more than the hotel bill. Since my husband died, the bar bill won't be very high. I only drink Kahlua and Drambuie with coffee. Kahlua was very hard to find except at the Hilton. So two bottles are going in my suitcase unless you think it would be available at duty free. Probably going to have to pay duty for the extra bottle, so I bought the stuff in Mexico where it is cheap.

I looked all over to find the info if Kahlua was available at duty free and can't even find a listing of the stores that sell booze on arrival. Or maybe I am not looking in the right place???

I'll ask the tour agency about the place you suggested. One day (Wednesday) is almost a full day at the Blue Lagoon. That is also the last night with a chance to see the Northern lights. So with Tuesday night also a night tour for the Northern lights, I would doubt there is a tour to your lagoon. But maybe I will book that separately. Don't know what else I will do on Monday/Tuesday all day.

Not staying at the Natura. Icelandair, as well as owning the hotel at the airport, also owns a couple of apartment buildings in downtown. We are booked at the Downtown apartments. Looked on their website, looked OK. Relatively new. Nothing particularly fancy but the whole idea for this trip was the chance to see the Northern lights plus it got me out of the USA during Thanksgiving when I will miss my husband a lot. On what will be Thanksgiving, I will be hustling through European airports, so my mind will be on other things. And then Rome for a couple of days.

Not liking the idea of having to fly coach (particularly when I just arrived JFK on AA 10 after sleeping all night in a normal position, not cramped up in just a seat). Darn, that flight was fast this morning. We arrived darn close to 1/2 hour early.

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to go have brunch at the River Cafe (one of my favorite NYC places) and then go to my office for a few hours before the flight tonight at 8PM. If I stay up all day, I can fall asleep tonight before we even get in the air. I can sleep most anyplace.

Thanks for the tip.. also the last night with a chance to see the Northern lights. So with Tuesday night also a night tour for the Northern lights, I would doubt there is a tour to your lagoon. But maybe I will book that separately. Don't know what else I will do on Monday/Tuesday all day.

Greatam, I know you have posted your email address in the past, but the one I find doesn't work. If you are comfortable doing so, would you mind posting it again? I would like to email you. Thank you.

unless you think it would be available at duty free.....I looked all over to find the info if Kahlua was available at duty free and can't even find a listing of the stores that sell booze on arrival. Or maybe I am not looking in the right place???

Cannot speak to the range of products. Sorry - I was just looking for the local beers and the local Brennivin. (don't believe what the linked article says about it tasting like vodka - more like heavily flavored akvavit). Pick up a miniature or two at the DF so you can at least try the stuff. FWIW, it's locally known as "Black Death". They also have some other local liqueurs - made from rhubarb, blueberries or crowberries. Info/descriptions can be found HERE. And yes, just as there are "wine aficionados", I'm a bit geeky about spirits.

And, IIRC, there is just the one liquor shop as you are arriving. Just look for flight crews heading there.

Not liking the idea of having to fly coach (particularly when I just arrived JFK on AA 10 after sleeping all night in a normal position, not cramped up in just a seat). Darn, that flight was fast this morning. We arrived darn close to 1/2 hour early.
The good news...it's a fast trip. Only about a hundred miles longer than LAX-JFK. The bad news...yep, those flat beds are addictive. I'm cheering because I have one soon - from SEA to LAX!. DL is rotating in a ferry flight with a 767-300ER, so I grabbed it rather than the CRJ or 737.

Finally, a personal note of condolence and sympathy on the loss of your husband. Safe journey!

And, IIRC, there is just the one liquor shop as you are arriving. Just look for flight crews heading there.

I finally found the liquor assortment at DF. http://www.dutyfree.is/en/products/afengi/lettir-likjorar

LOTS of Baileys (which is just too sweet). Only two bottles of Kahlua on their website. Regular litre bottle-$30.85. Mexico-$10.59. So even if I have to pay duty on the second bottle, I am still saving money. I shipped all my cruise luggage to Rome on one of our LCL (less than container load) containers about 5 weeks ago. Then had the customs broker make arrangements to transfer the large Hartman to the hotel in Rome. It has been at the hotel for 10 days.

So I will only have my carryon where I can put the booze and check it. That plus computer case with a couple of changes of clothes and all the electronics should get me to Rome in style (Levi's, sweatshirts and a HEAVY coat!!!).

The good news...it's a fast trip. Only about a hundred miles longer than LAX-JFK. The bad news...yep, those flat beds are addictive. I'm cheering because I have one soon - from SEA to LAX!. DL is rotating in a ferry flight with a 767-300ER, so I grabbed it rather than the CRJ or 737.

Wow-that's pretty neat to be able to fly a short hop with a lie flat. Good job.

Finally, a personal note of condolence and sympathy on the loss of your husband. Safe journey!

Thank you very much.

Gina

Greatam - I am sorry about your loss. My sympathies are with you. I am a firm believer in getting out and being around people when I'm sad. I did it myself and it certainly didn't take away all the memories of a year passed, but it did help.

Have a wonderful trip to Iceland! I'm going to have to take a trip there sometimes on my way to Europe. If you have a little time, see about doing a little riding on the Islandic horses - I've got some GFs who did an entire trip around riding and they said the whole experience was amazing.

Greatam - I am sorry about your loss. My sympathies are with you. I am a firm believer in getting out and being around people when I'm sad. I did it myself and it certainly didn't take away all the memories of a year passed, but it did help.

Have a wonderful trip to Iceland! I'm going to have to take a trip there sometimes on my way to Europe. If you have a little time, see about doing a little riding on the Islandic horses - I've got some GFs who did an entire trip around riding and they said the whole experience was amazing.

Thanks for you kind thoughts.

Riding horses is NOT on the itinerary. I am HIGHLY allergic to horses. Have been since I was a kid. Have no idea why-I have 5 dogs, we have cows on our farm (they are breeding stocks so get a lot of TLC because they are penned up most of the time). But get me within 15 feet of a horse and my eyes start watering, I start sneezing and my face feels like it is going to explode.

Almost all my neighbors have horses. One of them has two of the cutest miniature horses you have ever seen. She asked me to feed them one day when they were going to be home late. I thought because they were not even as big as my largest Labrador, that would be OK. NOOOOO-I got their food pans made up. Started to walk into their pen. I was probably 10 feet away. I could feel my eyes starting to tear up. I just pitched their food into their pen and took off for home. Bet they thought that was really strange their food was all over the ground instead of in the pans. Oh well, their Mom and Dad were home by the next morning. They didn't starve overnight. But no one around here asks me to take care of their horses anymore.

Thanks again for the kind words. Better get my computer and stuff packed up. Car service will be here in about 15 minutes. Don't want to miss the plane.

Your trip to Iceland sound wonderful and I hope you give a review when you return. Iceland is on my list of places I want to visit ( the one hour I spent in the airport doesn't count!)

You helped me tremendously when I was planning a trip to South America a few years ago.

Sorry to hear about your husband.

• 3 months later...

I want some input about flying into San Juan using RCCL Choice Air. I live in Ohio and we are booking a winter cruise that sails from San Juan. My question is: would any of you use Choice Air and fly in on the day of the cruise? I know that San Juan cruises do not leave the port until 8:30pm, so that is plus. Has anyone had flight problems and had Choice Air help them or had any experience with this? I would appreciate all info (good and bad).

Darlene

My question is: would any of you use Choice Air and fly in on the day of the cruise?

I think the correct response is no, hell no and then no again.

Winter weather is most likely to delay your flight plans and then you've missed your boat. There are lots of threads on here about the pros and cons of choice air, most of them cons.

I want some input about flying into San Juan using RCCL Choice Air. I live in Ohio and we are booking a winter cruise that sails from San Juan. My question is: would any of you use Choice Air and fly in on the day of the cruise? I know that San Juan cruises do not leave the port until 8:30pm, so that is plus. Has anyone had flight problems and had Choice Air help them or had any experience with this? I would appreciate all info (good and bad).

Darlene

I would never fly into San Juan same day as a cruise. Too risky IMHO. Also since I live in a cold weather city, extending my trip by a couple of days in San Juan pre-cruise is great. Generally beautiful weather and lots to do. I would be even less likely to fly in same day if booked on Choice Air as it may complicate changing flights if mine was cancelled or greatly delayed versus if I had booked directly with the airline and did not have to worry about a middle man that may help but may hinder being accommodated.

My question is: would any of you use Choice Air and fly in on the day of the cruise?

No, I would not. Generally speaking, I won't fly in same day unless the port is one I could drive to if my flight was cancelled at the last minute. (From Charleston SC that pretty much limits it to Port Canaveral, or maybe Tampa). And my personal opinion, after reading other accounts, is that booking through Choice Air doesn't offer any real assurance that would change my mind about that.

• 1 year later...

I have to say do complaints what so ever. When I first booked the flights the airline sometime later changed the times which was not to my satisfaction so I call Choice Air and they were more than helpful and change my flight to what I wanted.

Then came some problems on the day of departure. Flight delays and missed connections internationally. What a nightmare but Choice air went above and beyond to rebook us not once but several times with no problem. They then arranged for an overnight stay in a hotel then when we finally made it to our destination they arrange a personal car to pick us up from the airport which ended up being our second port of call and drove us to the ship.

Having read some other reviews I think they have turned themselves around and I would certainly not hesitate to book through them again.

I do my homework before booking anything and I have to say they are extremely competitive in their pricing.