need help on excursions half moon cay

hvm57

Can someone tell me of the following two excursions are worth taking?

The Stingray adventure and Snorkel by boat.

I took this cruise(westerdam oct 25) because i am from the Netherlands and this way i would visit aruba and curacao in one week.

Also on curacao i was very interested to take the Animal Encounters Dive. When i try to book this on HAL it's not possible. I can't choose this excursion?! Very strange, does someone knows why?

I hope my english is good enough.

Harrie van Meurs

I took this cruise(westerdam oct 25) because i am from the Netherlands and this way i would visit aruba and curacao in one week.

Also on curacao i was very interested to take the Animal Encounters Dive. When i try to book this on HAL it's not possible. I can't choose this excursion?! Very strange, does someone knows why?

Harrie van Meurs

I have been to HMC several times. I have not booked the tours you are inquiring about. I always book the cabana rental. This is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been too, and I've been to a lot of them. I wouldn't book a tour and give up any of my time at this beach. Sugary white sand. Smooth gentle sandy slope in the water. Beautiful turquiose water. Great cookout-jerk chicken on the barbie is awesome.

The cabana rental includes float mats, snorkel gear and fins. The cabana has misters, ceiling fan, small air conditioner, nice cushioned wicker lounge chairs. It also includes fruit and veggie tray with dip and chips, bottled water and soft drinks. Towels included.

Just my two cents....enjoy your day in Half Moon Cay. My favorite place on earth!

I did the Stingray encounter in Dec. The water was quite cold. We were a group of about 12. I hesitated going in from the stairs but the people behind me (my daughter and son-inlaw ) gave me a little push. They are not large rays: a couple of males and maybe 15 females. You swam around with them in an enclosed area and then we lined up and petted them and fed them squid. The guide then pick one up to show you its mouth underneath the body. The spit at you then! I am a retiree so once is enough for this encounter. I did it! So give it a try; be adventuresome. I am sure the water will be warmer for you. The island is beautiful. We loved Curacao and its people and thought Aruba was just okay.:)

We were on Half Moon Cay during February and at that time I did the Stingray adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed it; there were only 6 others who booked the excursion, so we had lots of time swimming (floating) in the enclosure with the stingrays. They were curious and would come up underneath and "bump" you once in a while, and as they swam by, they felt like cold velvet under your hand. I will certainly book it again on our next visit. On the other hand, DH did the parasailing adventure and there's not enough alcohol in the world that would get me up in that thing!

I felt the water was lovely and warm, but then we came from the "frozen tundra" of midwestern Canada during winter, so anything without ice on it was warm to me!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

We did the sting ray adventure a few years ago. It was very nice and great to touch the sting rays and feed them. They provided wet suits so you wouldn't get cold but as I, like Gerry, come from the frozen North, don't think you need them.

The last time we were at HMC we rented a clam shell and walked. It's really very pretty.

You don't have to be a swimmer to do the stingray adventure. You will be provided with a little flotation swim vest which allows you to float in the water. If you're not comfortable floating face down with your snorkel and mask, you can stay in the shallow area at the bottom of the steps where the water is about 3.5 - 4 feet deep.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Adding to my above comments about the stingray adventure, note I am from Florida and to me swimmable water is 75 to 80 degrees:eek: Growing up in New England I also thought Long Island Sound water was cold and heaven forbid getting into the Atlantic Ocean at Cape Cod! So someone from the Netherlands might think my cold water is warm!!! Go for it!

On our February cruise we are also unable to book any excursions in Aruba and only 4 were showing up for Curacao. I called HAL and was told to wait until about 3 months out and try again.

http://www.pbase.com/iflyrc5/image/107946255 This is a photo of a few of the stingrays at HMC. If you hit the "next" button on the page it will take you to some additional photos. You can also backup and see more HMC photos.

The snorkeling off the beach is not very good - just not much to see - from what I have read on these boards the snorkeling from the excursion boat is much better. I Aruba we did a snorkel tour with a private boat - very good snorkeling and great trip - photos at link below: http://www.pbase.com/iflyrc5/aruba

and will do it two more times on our next cruise! There are a lot of fish and a beautiful small reef.

The first snorkel was in October and the water was much warmer and calmer than the second time in March.

Here is a link to the photos of HMC:

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/half_moon_cay

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/halfmooncaymarch

Cheers, Denise

DD and I have been in with the stingrays. It did not help that Steve Irwin had just died by stingray death, so once was enough for us. They were beautiful creatures, very tame, and did feel lovely. They literally suck the fish off your hand. Kind of neat.

Has anyone done the glass bottom boat tour>

LInda

I have been to HMC several times. I have not booked the tours you are inquiring about. I always book the cabana rental. This is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been too, and I've been to a lot of them. I wouldn't book a tour and give up any of my time at this beach. Sugary white sand. Smooth gentle sandy slope in the water. Beautiful turquiose water. Great cookout-jerk chicken on the barbie is awesome.

The cabana rental includes float mats, snorkel gear and fins. The cabana has misters, ceiling fan, small air conditioner, nice cushioned wicker lounge chairs. It also includes fruit and veggie tray with dip and chips, bottled water and soft drinks. Towels included.

Just my two cents....enjoy your day in Half Moon Cay. My favorite place on earth!

I would love to do the Cabanas, when I looked at this on HAL's website there are differant colors, blue, grey, red, etc does this have anything to do with where they are on the beach? they seem to offer the same things or is it just simply the color of thr cabana?

Thanks for any input I want to do this for my husband birthday is it worth the money?

I have not done the stingray adventure or snorkel by boat. I believe the stingray adventure is on the island; 10 minute walk from beach. You can go to the rays without swimming with them for free. Half Moon Cay is one of the most beautiful beaches in Caribbean. Water temp from November to March range 70-76 degrees. Not much snorkeling on beach but there is a place on the island to go snorkeling that is very good but you need to be experienced and with several people.

Once you come off the tender instead of continuing up to the entrance to HMC turn right past the docks and go up a small hill (sandy path). On the other side is a beach with rocks & coral. Last December I snorkeled at this beach and saw rays, a nurse shark and lots of tropical fish. There are no facilities, chairs or anyone on this beach except the few who go there to snorkel

Harrie van Meurs

Harrie,

I called the excursions office yesterday regarding same. They have forgotten to add some excursions/offerings (2nd leg of our Half Moon Cay they have no Clamshell umbrellas offered) and others they have not added at this time. She assured me that they will be offering more excursions by the end of September for all of HAL's Ports of call in the Carribean. She also stated we could order them up to 6 days before sailing or wait and order them at the Pursers desk on board the ship.

Joanie

Harrie,

I called the excursions office yesterday regarding same. They have forgotten to add some excursions/offerings (2nd leg of our Half Moon Cay they have no Clamshell umbrellas offered) and others they have not added at this time. She assured me that they will be offering more excursions by the end of September for all of HAL's Ports of call in the Carribean. She also stated we could order them up to 6 days before sailing or wait and order them at the Pursers desk on board the ship.

Joanie

Thank you Joanie,

We will try it again the last week of september.

Harrie

• 1 year later...
How long is the rental for the cabanas? I hope it is longer than an hour. It looks like a great excursion.

It's all day.

I wouldn't call it an "excursion" exactly, but it is sold via the Shore Excursion Dept. It's just a great place to hang out when you're not in the water, or walking along the beach.

How long is the rental for the cabanas? I hope it is longer than an hour. It looks like a great excursion.

You rent clamshells or cabanas for the whole day -- they're yours! Nice to have a home base on what is I think the prettiest private island beach on the Caribbean!

Jeff

On our February cruise we are also unable to book any excursions in Aruba and only 4 were showing up for Curacao. I called HAL and was told to wait until about 3 months out and try again.

Strange that, as we are on Westerdam on 25 March and were able to buy our shorex a month ago.

BTW, we go to Half Moon Cay twice as it is back to back 'Caribbean Collection,' Half Moon Cay is the only place we revisit..have purchased the glass bottom boat trip at half moon cay, is it any good ?

After reading the posts on here, might rent a 'clamshell for the second visit to HMC.

Thanks.

Half Moon Cay was one of the best days on my Cruise you have the Cabana for the whole day you also have the use of rafts longe chairs as well of the furniture that comes in the cabana you are also given water, soda. fresh fruit, salsa chips and veggies. I thought it was well worth the price...you could split this with another couple, there is enough for 4-6 people...go enjoy you have to book eraly.

I would love to do the Cabanas, when I looked at this on HAL's website there are different colors, blue, gray, red, etc does this have anything to do with where they are on the beach? they seem to offer the same things or is it just simply the color of the cabana?

Thanks for any input I want to do this for my husband birthday is it worth the money?

The cabanas are each a different color - and which color you reserve is the one you'd get... Amenities are all the same.

I found this pix somewhere else on this site before - it shows the order of the colors... Grey is the closest...

cabanas.jpg.6135ec2b086f839daf45e1f054a98160.jpg

I took the red one which is the next to last we were away from everyone but still not too far from the restrooms and the barbeque.....I also saw a picture somewhere if I find it I will let you know, I did this for my husbands birthday as well,,,money well spent.....

Archived