1st Time in Europe

We are looking ahead to booking our first Cruise abroad, and was wonderfing what is the easiest port to sail from. Right now looking at either going out of Barcelona or Rome, possibly Venice ( TA Cruises)

Questions:

1. Travel time from Airport to Port

2. Mode of Transportation- Read alot of needing trains after flying.

3. Ease of getting around

4. Hotels recommended

5. Would it be best to pay for Cruise Transfers in this case.

6. Proper $$ ( euros)

Thank you for any and all tips you can offer.

Gay

We are looking ahead to booking our first Cruise abroad, and was wonderfing what is the easiest port to sail from. Right now looking at either going out of Barcelona or Rome, possibly Venice ( TA Cruises)

Questions:

1. Travel time from Airport to Port

2. Mode of Transportation- Read alot of needing trains after flying.

3. Ease of getting around

4. Hotels recommended

5. Would it be best to pay for Cruise Transfers in this case.

6. Proper $$ ( euros)

Thank you for any and all tips you can offer.

Gay

My take pick the ship/schedule that hits the ports you most want to see. All the major ports have flights in, many direct from the US. Barcelona and Venice for example have direct flights from US ( delta/Us-Air, for Atlanta/Philly). Ports/Cities like Rome, Athens have probably even more flights and if you are willing to transfer in London, Paris, Frankfurt the airlines will be no problem. For such a long cruise and all the airfare I would recommend pick the cruise that hits the ports you most want to see. Figure that you'll spend between 10-30 euros for airport to hotel/ship transfers. You can DIY by train/subway but I'd recommend doing private shuttle with luggage and all. Our most expensive transfer was water taxi from Venice airport to St. Marks and there it didnt' run more 30 euros/person.

Happy planning

Hello thank you, we would be flying in from So Calif so in looking at transfer flights, it picks up Germany mostly then into Barcelona or Rome. Presently if the Itnerary stays the same for 2011 as it is for 2010, we would prefer the Navigator out of Rome to Ft Lauderdale, over the Voyagers Itnerary from Barcelona. Initially was looking at the Voyagers and hoping to do a 7 day Med before the TA, b2b, but don't think that would be financially possible.

I am highly considering going with Ship Transfers right now unless during the Roll Call, we get in with a group and can share a Cab etc. Appreciate your tips, trying to plan ahead here for doing a Fall 2011 TA following our CC Calif Group Cruise on the Mariner.

Gay

My wife and I have done four Meditterean Cruises and this is our opinion for first time cruisers to Europe. Barcelona is probably the best port for first time cruisers to Europe. I would recommend at least a 2 day precruise stay. From the Airport to the Port or Down Town area is a 20 minute taxi ride. Taxis are not hard to get at the airport and the drivers "can be trusted". (24 tp 28 Euros). If you don't mind local transportation you can take the Aero Porto bus from the airport to the Plaza. (4.5 Euros) There is even train transportion to town for those who want to make the adventure. There are plenty of Hotels in Barcelona and althoug most first timers head to Las Ramblas you might try the Lower Diagonal area near the convertion center. This area is clean, modern, close to the beach, and you can easily access the HoHo Bus not to mention the huge two story indoor shopping center in the area. There is alot to do and see in Barcelona and your stay will not be disapointing at all (good food and drink). The reason I don't recommend Rome for the first timer is the fact that getting to the Port from Rome is complicated and can be very pricy unless you are willing to ride the local trains. I hope this information is helpful. Tim

Tim thank you, the only reason I switched to going out of Rome, was the Itnerary, yet keep going back to the voyager's TA from Barcelona to Galveston, because it appeared easier to get around. The voyager TA would also be easier flight to home since we live in So Calif and the flight wouldn't be as long. Thank you for your recommendations. Friends are doing the Nov 29 2009 TA out of Barcelona and will get their opinion also on that cruise.

If you are picking Barcelona, I suggest you take the opportunity to fly into Madrid and spend a couple or three days there. You can then take a plane or high speed train to Barcelona.

We did just that on our Med Cruise and enjoyed both cities.

Cheers

Since you are considering transatlanic cruises, I agree you should choose whichever itinerary you like best, and also -- consider which departure city you'd rather spend a few days in. If you are flying over for your cruise, it's strongly recommended that you fly in at least a day in advance, in order to have some "cushion" in case of flight delays, lost luggage, missed connections, etc.

Most people take the opportunity to spend a few days and explore the departure city before embarking. Although Barcelona is a great city, I'd pick Rome over it any day of the week; there is just so much to see and do there.

In terms of transportation, if the train seems too much of a hassle, you can likely find others on your roll call to share a ride to the port. It won't be cheap, but it can be reasonable if you share the cost among you, and it's very uncomplicated when arranged in advance.

Hello, I appreciate all the adivse, it will help alot I am sure. The taking the Train was bothering me a little for Rome. We would naturally allow ourselves the extra days, since we are coming from Calif and do even if traveling out of FL or US Port. The differance in two Itneraries are:

Voyager--Barcelona to Galveston

1. Barcelona

2. Cartegna

3. Cruising

4. Funchal ( Medeira) Portugal

5. Tenerife

6. 6 Days cruising

7. Nassau

8. 2 days crusing

9 Galveston

Navigator out of Rome TA

1. Rome

2. Marseilles

3. Barcelona

4. Cartegna

5. Malaga

6. Cruising

7. Tenerife

8. 7 Crusing Days

9. FT Lauderdale

Granted this would require an additional 6 hr flight to Calif but that is an easy flight, while Glaveston would be 2 hrs of flight home.

Gay

Archived