#26 Bus in Copenhagen

Major "Wish I had known"- there are two #26 busses in Copenhagen

the one marked "Langalinie" and "Cruise Ships" goes only to the cruise ship terminal near the Little Mermaid, but not to Freeport. If your ship is docked at the Freeport docks, you can't get there on the #26 so marked. It must be marked for Freeport (in Danish, of course). It took the great kindness of a Danish gentleman to get my grandkids and I to the Regatta on time.

the one marked "Langalinie" and "Cruise Ships" goes only to the cruise ship terminal near the Little Mermaid, but not to Freeport. If your ship is docked at the Freeport docks, you can't get there on the #26 so marked. It must be marked for Freeport (in Danish, of course). It took the great kindness of a Danish gentleman to get my grandkids and I to the Regatta on time.

It's ONE Line 26 but two branches.

Langeline Cruise Ship is the NORMAL route.

On Monday to Friday you find additionally a branch route to

Færgehavn Nord is the BRANCH route which takes you to Freeport (Frihavn).

Here is the schedule showing which time which bus goes to which terminal:

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-030209.pdf

Use Skudehavnsvej as orientation for departure times at Freeport.

Regards,

HeinBloed

It's ONE Line 26 but two branches.

Langeline Cruise Ship is the NORMAL route.

On Monday to Friday you find additionally a branch route to

Færgehavn Nord is the BRANCH route which takes you to Freeport (Frihavn).

Here is the schedule showing which time which bus goes to which terminal:

Use Skudehavnsvej as orientation for departure times at Freeport.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

How far is the Færgehavn Nord bus stop from the Frihavn pier? Also, do you have an idea how long the ride would be on a weekday morning from Færgehavn Nord to Hovedbanegården (I believe that is the Central Train Station??)? I'm guessing with all of our luggage it might be easier to take a taxi to Hovedbanegården.

Thanks,

HeinBloed,

How far is the Færgehavn Nord bus stop from the Frihavn pier? Also, do you have an idea how long the ride would be on a weekday morning from Færgehavn Nord to Hovedbanegården (I believe that is the Central Train Station??)? I'm guessing with all of our luggage it might be easier to take a taxi to Hovedbanegården.

Thanks,

Have a look here:

2009EURODAM30231-vi.jpg

You should use Skudehavnsvej as orientation point.

and according to this schedule: During the daytime: 32 minutes.

2009EURODAM30232Beschriftung-vi.jpg

Check also here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/07/copenhagen-denmark-frihavn-cruise.html

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/07/copenhagen-denmark-from-frihavn-cruise.html

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/07/copenhagen-denmark-airport-trains-to.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 8 months later...

I have traveled extensively on land and sea, independently, in Europe, Africa, etc and other countries where I've needed various currencies...pre EU. I really am feeling intimidated concerning this Baltic cruise in regard to the use and flexibility of my plastic. I have always taken only an ATM card (Star/Plus system) for cash and regular credit cards...VISA, American Express, Mastercard for purchases. I do not have a debit card.

As I read these boards, it sounds like I may have to get a debit card, as the ATM machines only work with VISA or Mastercard logos in the Scandinavian countries. Can anyone shed light on this for me? I will want to get a small amount of cash in each port to use for that day, using my regular ATM card (I hope) and plan to pay for meals, admissions and gifts with a regular credit card. I will not use my credit cards for cash advances.

To capsulize this query...will my method for plastic spending work, or will I have to do something more? Thanks for any help

Phyllis

Interesting, and I am glad you made it to the ship on time, but did you consider asking the bus driver?

When we boarded the bus I asked specifically where that bus was going and the driver (although with a bit of difficulty in English) told us and then reminded us where we wanted to get off and directed us accordingly. The same thing happened in Stockholm; in fact, there the driver gave us a free ride because I did not have the bus ticket (even after I offered to pay him cash which he refused with a big grin).

It still amazes me that most cities in Europe have people who are concerned and interested in helping tourists and yet many visitors from the US, for example, refuse to make contact.

As I read these boards, it sounds like I may have to get a debit card, as the ATM machines only work with VISA or Mastercard logos in the Scandinavian countries.

Phyllis

My ATM card is my debit card maybe in the USA they are different but we have not had any problems getting cash from the "hole in the wall" in Europe

Just make sure you have a 4 digit PIN & let your bank & CC company know you are travelling

Yes it goes in two direction after Østerport trainstation.

The first is going to "Langelinie (the cruiseships)" and the other goes to "Færgehavn Nord"

Færgehavn Nord is not the cruiseport but as HeinBloed posted you have to get of at the main gate at Freeport Terminal the bus stop is called Skudehavnsvej.

The bus goes every 10th minute during the day and every second departure is heading for Færgehavn nord.

But as it is also posted the bus will not reach Færgehavn Nord but only the DFDS Ferry terminal in the weekend.

The destination on the other direction is Ålholm Plads.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/Pages/Linje.aspx?direction_gid=9012200002610000&curr_table=26-0026-270110-2-f&line_name=26&active=1&linegid=9011200002600000

Thanks, LHT28. Gives me some hope, even though my ATM card is not a debit card (that is my choice). It does have a 4 digit pin#. The funny thing about notifying your bank about your itinerary...a few years ago, we were in Italy for a month, and I gave those dates to my bank. As it were, I had to withdraw a large sum (but within the limits) to pay cash for the rental apartment in Rome. I was refused at several different ATM machines and authorized bank ATMs. Had to call my bank and told them never to refuse my transactions unless I called personally. Sometimes, no matter what you do, it doesn't work. Don't know why I am feeling so unsure this time. Maybe too much info?????? I love these boards and the help from my fellow travelers.

Phyllis

Thanks, LHT28. Gives me some hope, even though my ATM card is not a debit card (that is my choice).

Phyllis

Just curious but what is the difference?

Our debit card & ATM card is one in the same but outside of the country we cannot use it for POS transactions only for withdrawals at an ATM

Lyn

Lyn...that is exactly what the difference is...I cannot use it for a POS transaction even in the US. It is bank issued and not part of the Visa or Mastercard networks. Sounds odd, I know, but at the time I was originally offered the debit card feature, my checking account was still paying reasonable interest, so I wanted the interest to accumulate by using a credit card. Sadly, that situation no longer applies, so...I don't know why I just don't get a debit card????? I think there are restrictions for a debit card use, that I'd have to conform to.

Phyllis

Lyn...that is exactly what the difference is...I cannot use it for a POS transaction even in the US.

Phyllis

Thanks for the explanation

I guess we are just use to a different system in the north:)

Lyn

I think I read somewhere in my searches that bus 26 goes to Langeline every day, but to Freeport only on weekends.

As for ATM vs. debit card - thank you for bringing it up! I never thought to check it as I have ATM only. My card has only Cirrus and Maestro on the back. Hmmm... now what?

I think I read somewhere in my searches that bus 26 goes to Langeline every day, but to Freeport only on weekends.

As for ATM vs. debit card - thank you for bringing it up! I never thought to check it as I have ATM only. My card has only Cirrus and Maestro on the back. Hmmm... now what?

Whatever you read: it's not true:

Bus 26 goes daily to LANGELINIE

and ONLY ON WEEKDAYS (NOT ON WEEKENDS) to FREEPORT

SO PLEASE DO NOT REPEAT THIS STATEMENT AND CONFUSE OTHER CRUISERS.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL SCHEDULE:

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/Pages/Linje.aspx?direction_gid=9012200002610000&linegid=9011200002600000&line_name=26

So if you go on Saturdays (Lördage) and Sun- and Holidays (Sön og helligdage) you will see it yourself.

And with MAESTRO you have access to around 99% of all ATMs in Europe.

Regards

HeinBloed

Would this bus be ok to use with luggage to go to the Central train station? Pay with DKK?

It's a typical city bus so not a long-distance coach service with separate baggage compartment.

So if it is not too bulky and you can handle it.

Yes - you need to pay in DKK.

Regards

HeinBloed

It's a typical city bus so not a long-distance coach service with separate baggage compartment.

So if it is not too bulky and you can handle it.

Yes - you need to pay in DKK.

Regards

HeinBloed

Danke, HeinBloed. We'll let the weather decide.

Archived