Are you buying ship transfers from Dover to Heathrow?

annfi

So sorry to bring this often discussed topic up again but I am getting down to the wire and need to make a decision. We are going to take the bus from Heathrow to Canterbury(overnight stay) to Dover precruise. But since traveling home is so sad, depressing, tiring and LONG - I am considering the ship (NCL) transfers for the 3 of us. Our flight leaves Heathrow 2:10pm. We should be checking in by 11am. National Express bus says it can take 4-5hrs Dover-LHR and NCL transfers take 2 to 2-1/2 hrs, $80pp. I realize it is a lot more money but..... Just curious how many of you have taken or plan to take the ship transfers. Thanks!

We took the NCL transfer in May. We considered both the coach and the train, but figured the hassle of multiple transfers to save a few bucks was just not worth it. Yes, the NCL transfer cost 50% more than the train fare, but it provided us with practically door-to-door service.

This is what we thought we would have had to do had we opted for the train/coach: We would have had to get a cab from Dover Pier to the Dover train/coach station. From Dover, we would have had to take the train/coach into central London (Victoria Station) so we could get to Heathrow. There were just too many changes involved, and it was just not worth the hassle.

All we did with the NCL transfer was go to the bus, then the bus took us to our terminal. Easy peasy. We were off the ship at 7:45. The bus left around 8:15 and we were in Heathrow before 10:30 AM for a 15:00 hrs flight into Lisbon.

Yes, the NCL transfer was not as cheap as the coach, or the train, but worth the expense IMO - no hassle, and the risk missing our flight was low.

Since there are 3 of you, you might want to look into a private transfer (if you can get it cheaper than $240USD) or arrange one through your roll call (see if you can get a group together to cut the costs.

The NE bus will take longer as you have to get into London and then back out again. On the train you have got to change at at least 1 (and probably 2) stations. In contrast the NCL bus will just go straight up the M20, M25 and straight into LHR off the motorway, so a much quicker trip. You say transfer is $80, which is about £50. The NE bus is just under £18. OK, nearly $50 more, but a lot less hassle and you will have plenty of time. As they say, the decision is yours!

Simon

We took the cab+NE coach option instead of NCL transfer due to price concern and the fact that we already booked our return coach trip before leaving home. Apart from door-to-door convenience the disembarkation time of NCL transfer is better than independent travellers.

Thank you everyone. We "used" to be VERY frugal travelers but now in my "old" age (!) I do start to consider convenience too - especially on the last day when catching a LONG flight home. It looked like private car for the 3 of us is around 170pds (plus tip) - approx $282usd vs $240 for 3 on NCL. I think we will go with that. Thanks. I will cross that "decision" off of the still long "to do" list!

Archived