$200.00 Coupon Fraud

JeanieRich

I guess I'm having trouble with the idea that other people need to protect you from yourself.

If you husband doesn't know anything about the travel plans, why didn't he ask you before he bought them?

I don't think I need to be protected from myself, but I do take issue with the guy who sold the certs on the Conquest. DH was really excited that he was going to double our money on our next cruise. He finally was going to help with vacation planning (something I keep trying to get him to do). I asked DH if there were any limitations? Was it good on all sailings? Can we use it on the cruise I had just put a down payment on? He went to talk to the guy again and said it was. "You can use it on ANY Future Carnival cruise." Sounded like a good deal, until we tried to use it like our PVP told us to. I just wish they would tell you what it is NOT good for. They cannot be used for Military, supposedly, but some people do use them for Military (as per our PVP and some other cc posters).

We was on a carnival vacation, I guess we shouldn't have believed what the Carnival guy told him... Maybe he just got a bad sales rep, but he wasn't the only one. I wish "Sharon" had been working the day DH was there! Now he's not willing to have ANY input on what we do as he's afraid to make another mistake....

It's not a huge deal, I just want to do what I can to help others in our same situation avoid the problems we have had. Maybe we'll use them, maybe we won't. I wasn't that upset until they sent the cert back after telling me that they would "keep it on file" until our next cruise, so now I've got to send it certified AGAIN. (Could it be the money going to the USPS that's got me in a pickle?:p)

It's NOT worth it to spend the money sending Future Cruise Certificates in if you've got a military discount! Don't listen to my PVP!!!

Thanks, I have not seen these for sale on either the Holiday or Fantasy. Are they sold on the Triumph? I guess that are not usable for Military Rate because it is already so low to begin with.

They are only available on the Splendor, Liberty, Valor, Freedom, and Conquest.

I

I don't think I need to be protected from myself, but I do take issue with the guy who sold the certs on the Conquest. DH was really excited that he was going to double our money on our next cruise. He finally was going to help with vacation planning (something I keep trying to get him to do). !

I bought them on Conquest myself and Im also a senior, so complaining because you think they ripped you off and you are a senior, I take exception to.

The sign on the desk and other places says .... and yes I know Im repeating myself

"UP TO $200 OFF"

The fact that your husband did not see the words "UP TO" and catch they it might mean you dont get $200 off every cruise is partially his fault. I have bought them boght last Sept and this past May, twice and neither time was I under the impression that the "up to" $200 mean I would get $200 off every cruise ... it says this quite a few places including the thing they have sitting on the next cruise desk. It says it on the page they hand out too, in case he missed the Up To on the sign posted.

It is good with every rate except military. There have been some others who were surprised they were not good on military, but look for a senior rate then .... those are almost as good and use the cert??? Up to you.

come on now ... be reasonable. Half the fault was your husband's because they never would say you get $200 off any length cruise... if it doesnt make sense, then you know there has to be something you were missing? I hope you can calm down, the certs are not a bad deal.

I guess I'm having trouble with the idea that other people need to protect you from yourself.

If you husband doesn't know anything about the travel plans, why didn't he ask you before he bought them?

I don't think I need to be protected from myself, but I do take issue with the guy who sold the certs on the Conquest. DH was really excited that he was going to double our money on our next cruise. He finally was going to help with vacation planning (something I keep trying to get him to do). I asked DH if there were any limitations? Was it good on all sailings? Can we use it on the cruise I had just put a down payment on? He went to talk to the guy again and said it was. "You can use it on ANY Future Carnival cruise." Sounded like a good deal, until we tried to use it like our PVP told us to. I just wish they would tell you what it is NOT good for. They cannot be used for Military, supposedly, but some people do use them for Military (as per our PVP and some other cc posters).

We was on a carnival vacation, I guess we shouldn't have believed what the Carnival guy told him... Maybe he just got a bad sales rep, but he wasn't the only one. I wish "Sharon" had been working the day DH was there! Now he's not willing to have ANY input on what we do as he's afraid to make another mistake....

It's not a huge deal, I just want to do what I can to help others in our same situation avoid the problems we have had. Maybe we'll use them, maybe we won't. I wasn't that upset until they sent the cert back after telling me that they would "keep it on file" until our next cruise, so now I've got to send it certified AGAIN. (Could it be the money going to the USPS that's got me in a pickle?:p)

It's NOT worth it to spend the money sending Future Cruise Certificates in if you've got a military discount! Don't listen to my PVP!!!

I totally understand.

I was told the wrong info when I and others in my party purchased these cerfificates.

We did believe the carnival rep when he told us we could use them with any promotion.

They cannot be combined with Military, Interline, Welcome Home Credit, as well as other restricted fares.

They cannot be used with prior booked cruises.

We were told they could be used on a cruise that was already booked as long as that cruise was in the FUTURE. Wrong.

We were told that it could be combined with any promo such as welcome Home . Wrong.

We didn't find that out until after we sent in the certificate as our PVP said it was ok.

And true too that you don't get to read the terms until the last night of the cruise when they pass them out

We too did believe what we were told by the rep.

I asked DH if there were any limitations? Was it good on all sailings? Can we use it on the cruise I had just put a down payment on? He went to talk to the guy again and said it was. "You can use it on ANY Future Carnival cruise." Sounded like a good deal, until we tried to use it like our PVP told us to. I just wish they would tell you what it is NOT good for. They cannot be used for Military, supposedly, but some people do use them for Military (as per our PVP and some other cc posters).

It seems to me the question you asked, and the question you wanted the answer to, are different. You asked if you can use it on any future cruise. The answer, as I understand it, is yes, and that's what he was told.

What you really wanted to know was if you could combine it with any promotional rate. But, unfortunately, it wasn't the information your husband asked for.

No. Not good with military.

Also, since some get confused, the $100 applied to your final payment, is the $100 you paid for the certificate. Some come away thinking they are going to get $100 off plus $100 OBC = $200, just wanted to clear up anyone still confused.

if you don't book ES, it IS your deposit. Es requires full deposit up front, but the coupon is good for the actual deposit. then you get the 100 obc if 7 day or longer. i've used 2 now with past guest discount, didn't have to pay anything, just sent in my coupon.

if you don't book ES, it IS your deposit. Es requires full deposit up front, but the coupon is good for the actual deposit. then you get the 100 obc if 7 day or longer. i've used 2 now with past guest discount, didn't have to pay anything, just sent in my coupon.

How can it be your deposit, when a 7 day cruise requires a $250 deposit?

I think you are thinking of if you book onboard. The OP (and myself) are speaking of how it is used once you bought it and take the certificate home. Then you pay the full deposit and mail in the cert and its applied to the final payment.

Im assuming you booked onboard from what you describe? OP brought home the cert... different situation.

I bought mine last Sept on the Liberty and used it this past April on the Glory, even booked curise thru Priceline and agent had no idea about what i was talking about when i explained it to him. He called Carnival and they explained it to him and i sent it in, and didnt have to pay the last $100 dollars of a senior rate and then recieved $100 ship board credit to use on what ever. No problems except they didnt sell them on the Glory.

I too am amazed at how many are upset about this. I bought a certificate on our Fredom cruise in July. When I went to the desk that was selling them they actually had a laminated copy sitting there at the desk for me to read. I read the disclaimer ("fine print") on the back before I even considered purchasing one, the disclaimer was not very long nor very "fine". At that point I walked away and thought some more about it. Went back an hour later (notice no high pressure tactics from the vendor) and asked some more questions about specific things I read on the certificate. I was told that there were only 2 restrictions on use...military rate and Interline. I was also told that I could send it in and get a refund and that I had 5 years to either use it, return it, or lose it. She also said that if I booked through my TA that she could send them in for us. Looking forward to being able to use them..Hopefully on the Dream in July 2010.

We bought 4 of these certificates in March and have already used two of them. You can buy them whether you have a cruise booked or not but you have to have a cruise booked before you send the certificate in and the $100 goes towards final payment and not the deposit.

The first one we used for the Dream cruise on 2/13/10 which we booked in August, 2008. This was no special rate because nothing was available at the time and now our category is sold out. Our reservation shows that $100 came off the final payment and we have a $100 OBC.

The second we used for the Liberty on 9/5/09 using a past guest rate, which we booked after final payment so we had to pay in full at the time. We now show on our documents that we have $200 OBC since we couldn't use if towards final payment.

The certificates are good with the senior, resident, and past guest rates for sure. I don't know about any others but it is not available with the Welcome Back Credit and interline rates. This is also combinable with the shareholder credit.

We'll buy more on the Liberty cruise because I'm sure we'll use them. I think it's great because the least you can get back is $50 for the shorter cruises and that is $50 more than you pay for the certificate so you can't lose.

I'm kind of interested in this. With my anniversary cruise coming up in November I plan to do a lot of "little" things for wife. And now I'm thinking maybe show her this isn't "the end" by starting to plan another cruise. I could buy them and present them to her at the end of our anniversary cruise...that might be nice.

So if I understand it....for pre-paying a $100 you get a $100 off any cruise that is not at the military rate PLUS a $100 ship board credit on any SEVEN day cruise. Is that correct?

I could see buying two or three of these easy. We try to pre-pay everything, but we always have a couple hundred dollars on our ship account by the end of the trip. So it won't go un-used at all.

I think you are thinking of if you book onboard. The OP (and myself) are speaking of how it is used once you bought it and take the certificate home. Then you pay the full deposit and mail in the cert and its applied to the final payment.

Im assuming you booked onboard from what you describe? OP brought home the cert... different situation.

One I booked on board, the other I took home....you are right. but the second was a seven day cruise, and I only paid 400 deposit, then sent in the certificate.

One I booked on board, the other I took home....you are right. but the second was a seven day cruise, and I only paid 400 deposit, then sent in the certificate.

Hmmm, well I admit to only having used the one I bought last Sept, and my PVP had me pay the whole deposit, said that was the rules, so seems there are some who use it different than other PVPs. Not a issue really, since it all comes out in the wash the same price. Interesting. thanks

So if I understand it....for pre-paying a $100 you get a $100 off any cruise that is not at the military rate PLUS a $100 ship board credit on any SEVEN day cruise. Is that correct? .

The $100 off is the $100 you yourself paid for the certificate, not anything additional.

The only bonus is the OBC, which is money you get to spend onboard. $50 for a 5 day, $75 for a 6 day, $100 for a 7 day, I think 12 days is where it goes to the $200 the OP mentioned.

So, no, you dont get $100 OBC for any cruise, only one that is 7 days or a 8 day etc...

You pay $100 and get UP TO $200 in OBC to spend. (which is $100 on a 7 day)

If you paid $100 and then they give you $100 off to credit you with the $100 you spent, it sounds to me like maybe you think you are getting an extra $100 off .... maybe Im misreading what you wrote?

btw you can only use one per cabin ... so its not like you are going to wind up with extra money. $100 on a 7 day doesnt even cover the tips. You can buy 3, but thats 3 different bookings, not applied to the same booking

The $100 off is the $100 you yourself paid for the certificate, not anything additional.

The only bonus is the OBC, which is money you get to spend onboard. $50 for a 5 day, $75 for a 6 day, $100 for a 7 day, I think 12 days is where it goes to the $200 the OP mentioned.

So, no, you dont get $100 OBC for any cruise, only one that is 7 days or a 8 day etc...

You pay $100 and get UP TO $200 in OBC to spend. (which is $100 on a 7 day)

OK I said it wrong, but I understand.

Assuming I'm going to plan a non military rate, seven day cruise.

You pay $100 to get a $100 OBC. Your original $100 you paid goes toward the cost of the cruise and you get a $100 OBC.

Thanks

OBC is just as good as a discount. You'll have to pay tips and anything else charged to the account, with cash eventually, and the OBC wipes some of that way.

I believe in the very rare event that your OBC exceeds you balance that a check is issued for a refund. Not 100% positive on that but I think that is how it works.

OK I said it wrong, but I understand.

Assuming I'm going to plan a non military rate, seven day cruise.

You pay $100 to get a $100 OBC. Your original $100 you paid goes toward the cost of the cruise and you get a $100 OBC.

Thanks

Correct

They cannot be combined with Military, Interline, Welcome Home Credit, as well as other restricted fares.

They cannot be used with prior booked cruises.

We were told they could be used on a cruise that was already booked as long as that cruise was in the FUTURE. Wrong.

I've purchased a total of seven, and used all seven . . . and all on previously booked sailings.

No problem whatsoever (well, minus them foolishly not knowing how to credit the very first one I mailed which fell in the cracks of their sailing days legend).

I bought them on Conquest myself and Im also a senior, so complaining because you think they ripped you off and you are a senior, I take exception to.

The sign on the desk and other places says .... and yes I know Im repeating myself

"UP TO $200 OFF"

The fact that your husband did not see the words "UP TO" and catch they it might mean you dont get $200 off every cruise is partially his fault. I have bought them boght last Sept and this past May, twice and neither time was I under the impression that the "up to" $200 mean I would get $200 off every cruise ... it says this quite a few places including the thing they have sitting on the next cruise desk. It says it on the page they hand out too, in case he missed the Up To on the sign posted.

It is good with every rate except military. There have been some others who were surprised they were not good on military, but look for a senior rate then .... those are almost as good and use the cert??? Up to you.

come on now ... be reasonable. Half the fault was your husband's because they never would say you get $200 off any length cruise... if it doesnt make sense, then you know there has to be something you were missing? I hope you can calm down, the certs are not a bad deal.

I think your mistaken about the certificate being good with every rate besides the military rate. I get an interline rate and it is NEVER combinable with any other rate or promotion. In a way I can see the OP's frustration because they are not forth coming with that little tidbit of information. Ive also been lied to in this same situation knowing good and well its not combinable. I know now this as the OP and im sure she wont make the same mistake again. I would bet the people selling this certificates either have a quota to meet or are paid commission.

I think your mistaken about the certificate being good with every rate besides the military rate. I get an interline rate and it is NEVER combinable with any other rate or promotion. In a way I can see the OP's frustration because they are not forth coming with that little tidbit of information. Ive also been lied to in this same situation knowing good and well its not combinable. I know now this as the OP and im sure she wont make the same mistake again. I would bet the people selling this certificates either have a quota to meet or are paid commission.

yes, and it wasnt good on that triple play most people posted. I guess yes I overstated. I just dont want the OP to give up and not try and use it. I also got bad and conflicting info from these guys on board. First time bad info, last time I sat there and watched while he applied one to a cruise Lambie (a poster on CC) had already booked, and then I asked about applying one to a cruise I already had booked and he was like of course you can't, thats why they call them FUTURE cruise credits, they are for cruises you book in the future ... I didnt say anything to him that I actually knew the person he was helping before me, just walked off thinking he was kinda rude the way he put it.

yes, and it wasnt good on that triple play most people posted. I guess yes I overstated. I just dont want the OP to give up and not try and use it. I also got bad and conflicting info from these guys on board. First time bad info, last time I sat there and watched while he applied one to a cruise Lambie (a poster on CC) had already booked, and then I asked about applying one to a cruise I already had booked and he was like of course you can't, thats why they call them FUTURE cruise credits, they are for cruises you book in the future ... I didnt say anything to him that I actually knew the person he was helping before me, just walked off thinking he was kinda rude the way he put it.

I would've said something. Why do it for the first guy but not the next?!?!:confused:

Archived