Princess Beds

Happy HALer

Hello,

We have not cruised Princess for about five years. We have been sailing more recently with HAL and NCL. They both have updated and very comfortable beds with duvet covered down comforters and choice of pillows. I remember the horrible Princess beds and having to ask for a egg carton pad. Are the Princess beds still the same horrible beds? If so, Princess needs to think about catching up with everyone else. A great night of sleep is part of a great vacation for me, but, if it came down to cruising or not, I would sleep on a piece of cardboard.:)

Hello,

We have not cruised Princess for about five years. We have been sailing more recently with HAL and NCL. They both have updated and very comfortable beds with duvet covered down comforters and choice of pillows. I remember the horrible Princess beds and having to ask for a egg carton pad. Are the Princess beds still the same horrible beds? If so, Princess needs to think about catching up with everyone else. A great night of sleep is part of a great vacation for me, but, if it came down to cruising or not, I would sleep on a piece of cardboard.:)

Beds on Princess are pretty much hit and miss.

We take what we get and never order an egg crate.

Hello,

Each ship we have sailed on in the last few years has recently had the mattresses replaced (mini suites and full suites). Only thing we have found is that they now provide extra (extra) firm mattresses. Great if you are used to an extra firm mattress, not great if your not. We have also always had the duvets and pillow menus on each cruise too. ;)

I am so with you! A good bed is important on vacation.

I don't sail a suite so get the bad Princess mattresses. If I go on Princess again I'm buying my own latex mattress topper and taking it with me. The extra $200-$300 will just have to be factored into the cost of the cruise. The egg crate toppers I've had aren't even in good shape.

I agree that Princess needs to step up to the plate and get good mattresses and quality bedding.

I just got off the Star July 26 and the egg crate was just as horrible as the mattress. In fact I asked for the egg crate when I got on board and the steward said it was already on the bed. I couldn't believe the flat pancake thing was indeed the egg crate. Princess needs to update all mattress's in order to stay current with the other cruise lines.

I am so with you! A good bed is important on vacation.

I don't sail a suite so get the bad Princess mattresses. If I go on Princess again I'm buying my own latex mattress topper and taking it with me. The extra $200-$300 will just have to be factored into the cost of the cruise. The egg crate toppers I've had aren't even in good shape.

I agree that Princess needs to step up to the plate and get good mattresses and quality bedding.

Trust me when I say that we don't find even the suite beds comfortable for us. Our next cruise, first port of Kauai, we are headed into town for a memory foam topper. We figure when we factor in 21 days on the ship, we will be glad to pay the price. ;)

I just got off the Star July 26 and the egg crate was just as horrible as the mattress. In fact I asked for the egg crate when I got on board and the steward said it was already on the bed. I couldn't believe the flat pancake thing was indeed the egg crate. Princess needs to update all mattress's in order to stay current with the other cruise lines.

I know on the Grand, they had the new mattress pads. Totally different from the ones they used to use that were several inches thick and actually had the egg crate design. The ones we were given were about 1/2 inch thick and as you say, 'flat as a pancake'. One made absolutely no difference at all, didn't help one little bit. :(

When I was on the Emerald this past spring, the beds were separate, even though when my TA did the reservation it was requested that the beds be configured as a queen.

When I first met my cabin steward I requested the beds be put together; by that evening they were together.

HOWEVER, the cabin steward didn't put anything over the two beds, so every time I rolled over, my knee would hit the depression between the two beds. I didn't say anything to him about it, I figured he'd done the best he could. The pillows sure were skinny though.

The moment after I put down my overnight bag. I find the Steward and request 3 extra pillows [two for me and one for DH] and a top sheet.

I like the Princess beds....I just need a good comfort zone around and under my head......and, I'm not too sure about them changing the duvets after each cruise passenger [hence, the top sheet!]

Hello,

Of all the Cruise lines I have cruised on, Princess (quite a few) has the worst beds!!However some folks seem to like them??

Our last cruise this past Dec on the Crown Princess the bed was the same, hard and it did have a crate. So I guess nothing changed there.

We cruised on HAL once 5 years ago and yes their beds were wonderul. I wanted to take the matress home with me.:D

Marion

Weird -- I’ve sailed 8 times on Princess and never had a bad bed -- ever. I sleep like a rock. I’ve been on 5 different Princess ships too. I do like a firm mattress, so maybe that is it, and the gentle rocking of the ship. I’ve never added an “egg-crate” topper, nor had any configuration problems. Indeed,,,,, I’ve cruised other lines and been less-satisfied with the beds and rooms.

So, it is really a personal point of view. I’d not assume Princess has ‘bad’ beds till you try them. And keep an open mind… like the ‘dial-a-number’ beds, maybe you will find you are an 80 (firm) vice a 30 (soft). And, if you really like it softer, then ask (and receive) an ‘egg-crate’ topper and maybe that will assist. As of the bedding itself, I find the Princess bedding to be really nice.

So you know, my wife and I agree and are both in our mid 50’s (neither couch potato’s or marathon runners….. but safely in-between).

Weird -- I’ve sailed 8 times on Princess and never had a bad bed -- ever. I sleep like a rock. I’ve been on 5 different Princess ships too. I do like a firm mattress, so maybe that is it, and the gentle rocking of the ship. I’ve never added an “egg-crate” topper, nor had any configuration problems. Indeed,,,,, I’ve cruised other lines and been less-satisfied with the beds and rooms.

So, it is really a personal point of view. I’d not assume Princess has ‘bad’ beds till you try them. And keep an open mind… like the ‘dial-a-number’ beds, maybe you will find you are an 80 (firm) vice a 30 (soft). And, if you really like it softer, then ask (and receive) an ‘egg-crate’ topper and maybe that will assist. As of the bedding itself, I find the Princess bedding to be really nice.

So you know, my wife and I agree and are both in our mid 50’s (neither couch potato’s or marathon runners….. but safely in-between).

We love the beds -- we both sleep like babies, no egg crates required.

Janette

our AA mini suite on the Sapphire was pretty bad large concave in both beds, (we sunk). We stayed up late so we were too tired to notice. Woke up sore and joined the thermal spa (first full day at sea)for the stone beds and they gave us the best nap and we felt very rested. Used the spa everyday.

There is a sale of 1.5 memory foam at Targets so we've broken down and will be bringing that along for our 14-day b2b on the Coral, vs our regular foam. Since we have a Carib balcony there's not much room to lay it out to "fluff" for a 24-hour period so we'll open it up at the Pan Pacific when we arrive the day before. We'll be the ones carrying what looks like a rolled squishy carpet through Canada Place. :D

LoriPhil, that's hysterical, but oh so brilliant!

Princess beds do seem to be the hardest out of the different cruise lines we've tried. (RCCL, Princess, Carnival) If I had to pick, I'd say Carnival has the best beds so far. So comfy cozy.

With or without hard beds, I'll still love the cruise. I just remember to pack the Aleve.

When I was on the Emerald this past spring, the beds were separate, even though when my TA did the reservation it was requested that the beds be configured as a queen.

When I first met my cabin steward I requested the beds be put together; by that evening they were together.

HOWEVER, the cabin steward didn't put anything over the two beds, so every time I rolled over, my knee would hit the depression between the two beds. I didn't say anything to him about it, I figured he'd done the best he could. The pillows sure were skinny though.

Did the Emerald have a duvet cover or bed spread?

Last year on the Crown, I had an inside cabin and I had a duvet. I had emailed ahead of time for an egg crate. They put an egg crate and a duvet under the fitted sheet. It was still hard, but I slept OK. To the OP, if you like a soft mattress....these will likely feel as hard as a rock.

Was on the CB in June. Am not particularly fussy with mattresses, but this was hard as a ROCK! Even the pillow was rock hard. Had a great deal of trouble sleeping the first night (as I didn't try out the bed when we first boarded). However, DH has a bad back and LOVED the hard mattress. The next day I asked the Cabin Steward to put an egg crate under just MY half of the mattress and also bring me a feather pillow or just a SOFT pillow. He did both and I had no trouble sleeping after that.

Here's my thought

cruise ships are much like hotels, they are offering you lodging in addition to other amenites. All the top hotels have upgraded their bedding, pillows, duvets and bath amenities). Giving the client the impression of a luxurious suite.

Why would princess not do the same?

I remember "every" great hotel room i stayed at ..........

Perhaps they should find some new management?

$$$$$Can you imagine refitting 17 ships with ultra comfortable beds?$$$$

I can certainly understand why Princess doesn't go in and replace all of their mattresses, but I can't understand why they continue to install these bricks on their new ships. Oh well, if that's the worst thing I have to face on a ship, I'll take it!

Archived