Driving in Greece: which side of the road?

nancybee

After reading about renting a car in Santorini and some of the other islands, I'm thinking about that too. Big question: Do they drive on the "wrong" side of the road like England? I don't think so but haven't seen it addressed. What are other easy and fun to drive on islands besides Santorini?

Thanks

After reading about renting a car in Santorini and some of the other islands, I'm thinking about that too. Big question: Do they drive on the "wrong" side of the road like England? I don't think so but haven't seen it addressed. What are other easy and fun to drive on islands besides Santorini?

Thanks

The side you drive on is dependent on how many drinks you have had before getting behind the wheel! But seriously, other than in the UK and Ireland, all of Europe drives on the right just like in the states. We also smile every time we see a "STOP" sign in France which does indeed read, "STOP." You would probably be imprisoned in Quebec if you put up a sign that said "STOP."

Hank

To avoid any surprises, a google search of "which side of the road do they drive on?" will provide an answer when trying to determine this for a specific country. Cyprus (left side) is a surprise to some.

Or right down the middle - depending upon how winding and hilly the road is.

DON

that is so true!

in Corfu I rented a car. they drive on the same side of the road as we do here in the US and Canada

however, some of the roads are narrow, winding and hilly, so it is easier to stick to the middle of the road until you see an oncoming car

seriously though, Corfu is super easy to drive around on your own

Do not forget that on some islands,road signs are written in Greek (not the latin alphabet),specially in the remote areas ! Better Google Map your itinerary ,it has the names both in English and Greek !

Darn good point and it also applies to some of mainland Greece. We have found that in the Athens area and also along many of the major routes the Greek road signs are posted in both Greek and with English letters. However, we have driven some of the back roads down near Sounion where signs were only in the Greek alphabet. We could read the Greek signs for Athens (Athenia) so we always found our way back towards Athens, but it is an issue. It makes sense to rent a GPS unit if it's available. We have never had a problem with signs on Crete, Rhodes or Santorini.

Hank

Thanks

We are renting a car in Santorini in Sept. we have been there before and did the bus. Once you get out of the main town, with alot of traffic, it is very quiet on the roads. We plan on going around the whole island.

Thanks

No, on the right side.

Check the US State Department for any warnings about driving in Greece. The warnings for Turkey are hilarious but also very very scary!

Not knowing what the signs say is a considerable problem. One time in Italy we "thought" we were on the road to "centre" and we found ourselves driving down the STAIRS to the middle of town in a Fiat! Maybe that is why DH is a fan of the shore excursions from the ship.

If you do drive, check your car insurance for coverage and get an international DL and also a translation of your state DL. Check out the car every way to Sunday in that I know 2 people that had huge charges put on their credit cards back home for "damages". Take pictures of any scratches etc. (damages were for under the car damage to frame and muffler and the other was "keying" scratches and dents). Try proving in a court of another country that the car was turned in with no damage. This also happens in USA but at least you have the advantage of knowing the language and talking to someone who knows the law on phone.

Thanks

Most of Europe with the exception of the British isles drives on the same side as we do in the US.

Archived