What's in the white orbs on top of Carnival ships?

hunter33

They are part of the telecommunications array. I am not sure what post or review on CRUISE CRITIC here had it but someone took a picture of it. I belive it was part of a RC cruise review. They commented on how it looked like a golf ball and later found out what they were by asking an OFFICER of the crew on that particular cruise

They are part of the telecommunications array. I am not sure what post or review on CRUISE CRITIC here had it but someone took a picture of it. I belive it was part of a RC cruise review. They commented on how it looked like a golf ball and later found out what they were by asking an OFFICER of the crew on that particular cruise

Dead on. They are the ship's satellite/telecommunication system.

Actually, all joking aside, it's "The EyE In The Sky" ~~!!~~ Security With all their camera's & X-ray machines are able to have full access to the entire ship from that vantage point.. Scotty has a permanent fix on that location if the need ever arises.....Of course they do have to close down operations at midnight when Funship Freddie is off duty and ready for bed ~~!!~~113.gif

Those giant golf balls are marine satellite antennas.

Exactomundo, satellite antennas.:)

The radar arrays are obvious and out in the open, large one near the top of the ship (long distance) and smaller one, usually nearer the bow and lower (short range).

Quoting from an article about these domes:

For maritime satellite communications service, radomes are widely used to protect dish antennas which are continually tracking fixed satellites while the ship experiences pitch, roll and yaw movements. Large cruise ships and oil tankers may have radomes over three meters in diameter to suit broadband transmissions for television, voice, data, and the Internet. Small private yachts may use radomes as small as 26 centimeters in diameter for voice and low-speed data.

This should be definitive.

Dan

Archived