SELF SERVICE LAUNDRY: Should RCCL Have Them?

MrPete

Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?  

590 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think RCCL should have Self Service Launderettes?

• Yes, I wish they would have them
    • No, I would not use it
    • I Don't Care

why on earth would you want to do laundry on your cruise :confused:

I can think of numerous reasons:

1. Airline restrictions on luggage.

2. Not trusting your clothes to be laundered by cruiseline laundry staff.

3. B2B cruises.

4. Long cruises.

5. Pre- and post-cruise trips.

6. CHILDREN.

7. CHILDREN.

8. CHILDREN.

I can understand why some would not want to do laundry, but for those of us who would prefer to do our own laundry and have long stays away from home (whether on ship or on shore), I think it would be a tremendous benefit.

P.S. Did I mention that for those with children, it would be wonderful?:)

Kathy

Absolutely-yes! I'm a morning person so doing a load of clothes first thing is not a big deal...which means I can pack everything in a small suitcase and wear everything twice...and it's clean!

That's what I did on NCL Jewel (back when they had a laundry room (free). No one there in the morning. I think there were four washers and four dryers. Wonderful.

Kathy

I'm not sure what the big deal is about doing laundry. It takes no effort whatsoever. The machines do all the work.

I would love for them to have a laundry room. I travel with 4 kids & with paying extra for luggage it would be nice to be able to not have to pack so much & have the availability of a washer. I have one son who cannot eat without getting covered in whatever it is he was eating so it is difficult to double duty his clothes.

Oh well- I can only hope that one day...

I would love for all RC ships to have self-serve laundries. My husband and I go on many long cruises. We spent 22 days on the Voyager last spring. It would have been wonderful to have been able to wash our own clothes. (I'm particular about who washes my clothes, because I have many things that I don't machine dry, etc.)

Nope. Like the majority. I don't intend to do laundry on vacation! I'll stuff a bag..or pay for laundry and miss a couple of drinks to cover it..but won't do it.

Sure it's "easy". But it's work. That's why I'm on vacation , to get away from work!

I've always wondered why on those mega ships they couldn't have a laundromat on each deck like Princess does. We usually go on 10 day or better and it's nice to have clean underwear to go home with and to be able to press something once in awhile. Just my opinion.;)

I think it would end up just like the laundry rooms in college dorms - you don't know the people whose laundry is in the machine when you want to use it, so throw it out and put in your own. I think it would actually lead to conflict among people who are supposed to be relaxed on vacation.

Besides, who wants to do laundry on vacation - I would much rather just send it out and figure the cost into my vacation budget!

So, from now on, once RCI puts washers and dryers onboard, since you "don't mind" doing laundry on your vacation, please be sure to stop by my cabin, pick up our dirty stuff, add it to yours....ps, I like extra starch in my shirts...

I have cruised on lines with a laundry. I have never seen anyone argue over the machines or even the fact that someone moved your stuff. Hey that happens at laundrys on dry land too. I personally have never used the washer or dryer. I do like to use the iron that is available in the laundryroom though. Since I can't have an iron in my cabin, a short walk down the hall to get the wrinkles out of something is better than having to pay for someone else to iron it.

Towanda

I wouldn't use laundry facilites. It is vacation - a change from the normal routines in life. Why do laundry while on vacation? Kind of defeats the purpose of a vacation! I would rather take more clothes than do laundry while on a cruise. We have gone on an 11 night cruise with our 3 sons and never did laundry or sent anything out to be cleaned. I do wash out bathing suits in the sinks as the chlorine from the hot tubs, the salt water from the beaches and the pool water can ruin bathing suits. That's all I do. Laundry may be a pain after the return, but it's worth it to not be a slave to the washer and dryer on vacation!

Mary Anne

We've always been very happy with the laundry service on RCI. Great way to use the OBC(s) that we receive. Only problem is, everything comes back so nicely pressed, even my husband's t-shirts, which I do not do at home. Told him not to get used to the idea as that's his treat while we are on vacation.:D

I voted yes because I would like to have a laundry room onboard. Just because it was there wouldn't mean that I had to use it. But, it would be nice to have for long cruises. I got a little spoiled on my last cruise. It was on HAL. They not only have laundry rooms with washers, dryers, and irons, but also the $20 "all-you-can-stuff" laundry bag EVERYDAY! The $20 bag is stretchy too so I could really pack that sucker!

Last RC cruise we were on Legend for 13 days plus 4 days post-cruise in Rome. We only had the $20 laundry bag once (on day 4 of the cruise). :rolleyes: I spent $80+ on laundry that cruise. We should have just brought another suitcase and taken more clothes because it would have been cheaper. Paying by the items really adds up. I mistakenly thought because others had posted that they had the $20 bag three times on their cruise that we would too. :(

On HAL I didn't use the self-service laundry although I did use the room to iron a few items. I never saw anyone fighting over washers or dryers, but it was a 14 day cruise so people were using the room on different days. If I were taking a cruise longer than 14 days, I probably would have done laundry myself either late at night or early morning. The washers and dryers all had a display with "time remaining" so you could know when to be back to move your clothes.

What's suprising to me are posts against having laundry centers.

I can't imagine doing laundry on a cruise ship, but it sounds like a good idea for people that need to.

Why should I have the opinion they shouldn't have that choice?

self service laundries are not appealing to me when on vacation; I have the choice of sending clothes out to the regular laundry or, in most cases, bringing them home and doing them at my leisure. With the exception of underwear and socks, I dont consider the clothes I take on a 14day cruise to get "dirty" and I always take an adequate supply of socks and underwear:)

No, no, no, no, no - when i am on any holiday I do not want to be doing laundry. We sent our dresses to the laundry on Independence to be steamed and that was perfect. I would use the $20 bag if need be but would not want to waste my time sitting looking at a washing machine waiting for my clothes to wash.

Bit like going on a self catering holiday and cooking all your meals in the apartment - just not done. A holiday is meant to be a rest and seeing places you wouldn't normally do and the inside of a laundry isn't on the excursion list. :)

We went on a 12 day cruise of the Baltic capitals. Combine that with a couple of extra days in London before the cruise and a self service laundry would have been appreciated. The same folks who think that the ship's price for a small bag of underwear and socks for $20 is a baragain are no doubt the same folks who think that the ship's photos are a good deal. Some of us work darn hard for our money and save all year for the cruise. Give us a break. Give us a place to wash and dry our clothes and an opportunity to avoid the exobritant ship fees! If you don't want to use it, that's fine with me.

By the way, check out the results of the poll!

Archived