Piraeus port -- specific question re: walking

cruisemom42

I'm reading through a lot of older posts and I'm not clear on one thing: I know there is a walk from your cruise ship to the cruise terminal at the port. Then, a walk from the cruise terminal to the Metro. Or as an alternative, hire a taxi at the terminal directly to the Acropolis (we want to arrive early!).

How far (at a brisk walk) is it to the terminal from the cruise ship, and then how far from the terminal to the Metro station? Is there a shuttle for the port portion of the walk, and if so, when does it start running?

Some posters have made it sound like the walk is from anywhere from 25-45 minutes, but I'm not sure if that's for part or all of the distance.....

Thanks for shedding any light!

Hi, just returned from a cruise that stopped in Athens. Here is the low down. Depending on where you are docked there might be a FREE bus shuttle to the cruise port entrance. We were docked at the furthest berth so we had the shuttle. How would you know if there is a shuttle? The cruise ship will inform you. From the furthest berth to the curise port entrance is about a 20 minute walk. When we left the cruise ship terminal we turned left and walked about 15 to 20 minutes at a normal pace. That is about the amount of time it took to get to the metro station. VERY VERY easy to find and do. The cost for the metro to Athens... $1 Euro each person!!!!!!!!!!! On the way back we decided to take the tram which skirts the coastal areas. Nice ride. At the end of it you can either walk back from the last station (half hour or more depending if you get lost.... which we did and was a lot of fun) or you can transfer to the metro which will take you back for from whence you came.

I'm reading through a lot of older posts and I'm not clear on one thing: I know there is a walk from your cruise ship to the cruise terminal at the port. Then, a walk from the cruise terminal to the Metro. Or as an alternative, hire a taxi at the terminal directly to the Acropolis (we want to arrive early!).

How far (at a brisk walk) is it to the terminal from the cruise ship, and then how far from the terminal to the Metro station? Is there a shuttle for the port portion of the walk, and if so, when does it start running?

Some posters have made it sound like the walk is from anywhere from 25-45 minutes, but I'm not sure if that's for part or all of the distance.....

Thanks for shedding any light!

Im guessing, but it from where our ship was docked in the port it would have been a 10-15 minute walk to the terminal building. There was however a port shuttle that took us to the terminal building.

From there we caught a cab to the Acropolis. Fortunately for us it was a Sunday so the traffic was light and the trip only took 15-20 minutes each way for about 20 Euros per cab...

As mentioned before it all depends on where you are docked. On Legend a couple of weeks ago we were fairly close - there was a shuttle bus from where we docked which would have taken a few minutes to the port gate. However we chose to walk (which took 10 mins or less).

We then caught the 843 bus from the opposite side of the road to the port entrance to the metro and walked up to the Acropolis. Very cheap and very easy - and avoiding any traffic. However, if you prefer not to do that there are taxis just outside the port entrance.

Any input about which Metro stop to use to get to the Acropolis?

Obviously Akropoli would work, but I was wondering if it would be a comparable walk from Monastiraki?

A flat map does not make it obvious- and since I have never been there, it is difficult to imagine which routes and hills are easiest?

Any input about which Metro stop to use to get to the Acropolis?

Obviously Akropoli would work, but I was wondering if it would be a comparable walk from Monastiraki?

A flat map does not make it obvious- and since I have never been there, it is difficult to imagine which routes and hills are easiest?

From Monastiraki, you would proceed first through the fleamarket area into the Agora and follow the traditional processional way up the Acropolis from the northern side, the longest route with the most elevation change.

Last September, we chose to climb from the Acropoli stop because the southern route starts higher up the hill, and consists of many gradual switchback-like slopes and far fewer stairs, about 100 less. My spouse has depth-perception issues on stairs, so this was the best route for us to take.

We got off at Monastiraki and did a self guided walking tour. If you get a chance, do the area below the Acropolis first as it was very quiet because the throngs of people headed up to the Acropolis first. Try to do the Acropolis either very early or later in the afternoon. You will avoid all the bus loads of tourists. Also, if you get a chance, below the Acropolis is the original settlement (I cannot remember the name of the place). It has narrow streets (no cars can ger through) and is fairly small in size, but is quaint and interesting to see. Oh, and we took the tram back to the ship just for a different perspective.

We just got back. Pireaus has several different docking areas. Our ship was docked in the one farthest from the metro. There was a shuttle bus that took us to the terminal building but even from there you are a good 15-20 minute walk away from the metro station. Taxis were lined up in front of the terminal and we took one directly to the Acropolis for 18 euros. We expected the taxi driver to try to sell us on a tour, based on other posts we had read, but he couldn't have been nicer. We took the metro back and ended up flagging a taxi down to take us to the ship for 4 euros. The port area is very confusing. There are several different docking groups. If you do plan on walking back from the metro, make sure you note which docking area your ship is in. We started walking toward ours only to realize that it was much further away than we thought.

Here's another tip. The ticket you buy for 1 Euro for the Metro, it is good for 75 minutes from the time you validate it (remember to validate it!). The trip from Athens back to Piraeus is 30 minutes, if that. And that ticket is good for the Metro, tram, train and bus.

Therefore, when you exit the Metro station. Cross the pedestrian foot bridge (pictured below) that goes over the road, go down the stairs. You'll see a little newspaper kiosk, and then just beyond that there is a large bus stop. There are signs there that indicate which buses stop at the bus stop. Wait there for bus 843 to come. Get on the bus. The ticket you purchased for your Metro ride from Athens will cover the bus. This bus takes you back directly to the port terminal where you can then catch the free shuttle (if provided - pictured below) back to your ship.

Bus 843 runs every 10 minutes (dependent upon traffic conditions). But when I went, I waited just under 10 minutes for the bus to arrive.

1952852166_Alisa2(167).jpg.fd83cdf7a553bd5920dd740794efe25f.jpg

1143388956_Alisa2(168).jpg.b68ce349c0a75847bda3c94f239465ce.jpg

336598220_Alisa2(171).jpg.da5b3d8baa951aa6316ae40139e6e31f.jpg

Here's another tip. The ticket you buy for 1 Euro for the Metro, it is good for 75 minutes from the time you validate it (remember to validate it!). The trip from Athens back to Piraeus is 30 minutes, if that. And that ticket is good for the Metro, tram, train and bus.

Therefore, when you exit the Metro station. Cross the pedestrian foot bridge (pictured below) that goes over the road, go down the stairs. You'll see a little newspaper kiosk, and then just beyond that there is a large bus stop. There are signs there that indicate which buses stop at the bus stop. Wait there for bus 843 to come. Get on the bus. The ticket you purchased for your Metro ride from Athens will cover the bus. This bus takes you back directly to the port terminal where you can then catch the free shuttle (if provided - pictured below) back to your ship.

Bus 843 runs every 10 minutes (dependent upon traffic conditions). But when I went, I waited just under 10 minutes for the bus to arrive.

Thanks for the very clear info! The bus sounds like a great idea at the end of a long, hot day.

When we docked in Pireaus in May 2008, there were 5-6 shops in the terminal building next to the ship. You had to go through the terminal building to get to the tour buses. One shop specialized in fine jewelry, but I think all the rest had postcards and small souvenirs.

We are stopping off in Piraeus precruise to spend 5 days in Santorini before returning to spend another 2 days in Athens before flying to Rome to catch the Carnival Dream cruise. We belive that we can catch BUS X96 from the airport in Athens to Piraeus and will book ou tickets to go to Santorini the following day that evening. However I am confused with getting back to Syntagma Sq when we retunr to stay at the Hotel Economy as BUS 843 is mentioned which goes from the port at Piraeus to the metro. The metro will then be able to take us to Monistitraki Sq. I assume that Bus 843 is the one that takes us to the metro stop at Piraeus and is so does anyone know the Bus no that you would catch to go into Syntagma Sq from Piraeus. Is it Bus No 40.

If you can help this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian and Tina

The metro will then be able to take us to Monistitraki Sq. I assume that Bus 843 is the one that takes us to the metro stop at Piraeus and is so does anyone know the Bus no that you would catch to go into Syntagma Sq from Piraeus. Is it Bus No 40.

If you can help this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian and Tina

For public transportation from Piraeus to Syntagma Square, most folks would take the green line metro to Monastiraki then change to the blue line east for Syntagma Square, probably a 30-minute ride in all. I do not know the bus routes from Piraeus to Syntagma, only the 843 bus route around the harbor from the cruise terminal to the green line metro. (Piraeus is the starting point for the green line.)

I have attached a PDF of Piraeus port; regrettably, I no longer recall the website from which I downloaded it. Cruise ships stop at the port gates on the bottom of the map called E11 (the cruise terminal building) and E12 and further left. The Metro is toward the upper right.

portpiraeusmap.pdf

When we docked in Pireaus in May 2008, there were 5-6 shops in the terminal building next to the ship. You had to go through the terminal building to get to the tour buses. One shop specialized in fine jewelry, but I think all the rest had postcards and small souvenirs.

Thanks--that's what I needed to know. We are taking a ship'sexcursions to the Acropolis & then back to the ship---so I am hoping to at least get some postcards along the way...I am pretty sure the excursion does not inlcude a shopping stop...

• 1 month later...

We were in Piraeus Sept. 16, 2009. I believe we were in one of the farther out berths. There was a shuttle that took us to the terminal. From there we decided to walk to the nearest Metro station, which is on the Red line, the Piraeus stop. The walk was not particularly hard, but it did take rather longer than we had expected: about 45 min. Riding the Metro is easy and cheap, 1 Euro anywhere. On the return trip we decided to save time and shoe leather from the Piraeus Metro stop by hiring a cab for $7 Euros, which we split with another couple.

We were in Piraeus Sept. 16, 2009. I believe we were in one of the farther out berths. There was a shuttle that took us to the terminal. From there we decided to walk to the nearest Metro station, which is on the Red line, the Piraeus stop. The walk was not particularly hard, but it did take rather longer than we had expected: about 45 min. Riding the Metro is easy and cheap, 1 Euro anywhere. On the return trip we decided to save time and shoe leather from the Piraeus Metro stop by hiring a cab for $7 Euros, which we split with another couple.

Small corrections: the Piraeus metro stop is located at the terminus of the green metro line. It is a 20-minute walk from there to the cruiseship terminal. You bargained well to get a taxi to take a tourist from the metro stop to the terminal for 7 Euros!

• 4 months later...

Where do you buy the 843 bus tickets in the morning to the Metro green line? Is there a news-stand nearby? Where do you stand then to catch the bus near pier 11?

Does the 843 bus take you to the bridge and then do you cross on foot to the Metro station? Where is the 843 bus stop on the way back to the port from the Metro stop and the end of one's day?

Thanks. :)

The buses you can use are

826, 832, 833, 843, 875

The metro station is called "ISAP" or better "ILECTRIKOS" in Greek. You can buy tickets in the kiosks. Your ticket is valid for 1.5 hours (you will use the same ticket in metro also). You will validate the tickets into the bus.

http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?tml=1&pageid=116&menu=2&pg=1

I find these maps ...complicated!

The buses you can use are

826, 832, 833, 843, 875

The metro station is called "ISAP" or better "ILECTRIKOS" in Greek. You can buy tickets in the kiosks. Your ticket is valid for 1.5 hours (you will use the same ticket in metro also). You will validate the tickets into the bus.

http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?tml=1&pageid=116&menu=2&pg=1

I find these maps ...complicated!

Bump. Anyone taken the 843 bus? Looking for specifics and for exact 843 bus stop locations.

Thank you.:)

Archived