Piraeus port -- specific question re: walking

cruisemom42

Bump. Anyone taken the 843 bus? Looking for specifics and for exact 843 bus stop locations.

Thank you.:)

You might find this thread useful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1099324&highlight=843

Instead of waiting, I suggest you go to the "Search this Forum" box and type in 843. You'll get several results.

Yes, we have taken the bus both ways. As you walk along the main street around the harbor, just look for the bus signs on the posts, just like in NYC, for the 843, which runs about every 15 minutes. We asked the bus driver to let us off at the metro, which as you arrive is right there.

On the way back from Athens, cross the bridge to the water side, and then right at the end there a few feet away is another post with the 843 indicated.

Yes, we have taken the bus both ways. As you walk along the main street around the harbor, just look for the bus signs on the posts, just like in NYC, for the 843, which runs about every 15 minutes. We asked the bus driver to let us off at the metro, which as you arrive is right there.

On the way back from Athens, cross the bridge to the water side, and then right at the end there a few feet away is another post with the 843 indicated.

Thanks.

Was there a News stand right there to buy the tickets? As I understand you validate it on the bus (good for 75 minutes). Do you validate the same ones again when going into the Metro station?

Thanks.

Was there a News stand right there to buy the tickets? As I understand you validate it on the bus (good for 75 minutes). Do you validate the same ones again when going into the Metro station?

Yes, there is a newstand right there for tickets. On the way to the metro, we had to try several because they were out of tickets.

We did not think to use our bus ticket for the metro, so I do not know the answer to your second question. We just purchased another ticket at the metro stop.

Yes, there is a newstand right there for tickets. On the way to the metro, we had to try several because they were out of tickets.

We have been to Pireaus two times now and have always been unable to find bus tickets anywhere near the port terminal. Can you clarify where the news stand was that sold you the bus ticket.... the one you describe as "right there?"

I have a great map of the bus system and we've had good luck catching the bus back to the port terminal from the main metro station. We've just had poor luck finding anywhere to buy bus tickets going TO the metro station after exiting the port terminal.

Thanks.

We have been to Pireaus two times now and have always been unable to find bus tickets anywhere near the port terminal. Can you clarify where the news stand was that sold you the bus ticket.... the one you describe as "right there?"

I have a great map of the bus system and we've had good luck catching the bus back to the port terminal from the main metro station. We've just had poor luck finding anywhere to buy bus tickets going TO the metro station after exiting the port terminal.

Thanks.

I was responding to the poster who asked about tickets back from the metro. There is a newstand right by the overpass from the metro to the port side of the road where you catch the bus back to the cruise terminal. Of course, now I know that your metro ticket is good for the bus ride, so unnecessary. Live and learn!

From the cruise terminal, you cross the street, start walking over to the metro, and simply try each newstand until you find one which still has some tickets to sell!:) We had to try several before any success.

Thank you. We have tried in the past, too, but I guess we just never managed to find a news stand that had tickets in stock:(. We finally gave (both times) and wound up walking all the way down to the merto station.

However, we have always been able to catch the bus (there are a few routes that work) back to the port form the metro station using our multi-transport ticket (which usually had just enough time until expiration left:)).

Thanks for answering.

For the express bus back to the airport, do you get the bus tickets from the newsstands as well?

You purchase the tickets for the X95 express bus from Syntagma to the airport on the bus itself. The other way, you buy at the small booth by the buses.

thinking of how many Euros it will take to get a taxi to take 3 of us to the Metro (since I heard they don't want to mess with the short trip and lose their place in line). Maybe 8?

It's all a matter of the negotiation (all illegal but the drivers do not seem to worry about it!) Maybe 5, maybe 8, maybe 10!:)

It's all a matter of the negotiation (all illegal but the drivers do not seem to worry about it!) Maybe 5, maybe 8, maybe 10!:)

It's all about saving the walking legs of my wife and 8-1/2 year old daughter- 10 might be worth it!

• 1 month later...
On the way back we decided to take the tram which skirts the coastal areas. Nice ride. At the end of it you can either walk back from the last station (half hour or more depending if you get lost.... which we did and was a lot of fun) or you can transfer to the metro which will take you back for from whence you came.

I have been reading about the Metro and Taxi's but hadn't heard about a Tram. Tell me more! I love public transportation!

Also, what is traffic like in Athens? Should that be a concern?

I have been reading about the Metro and Taxi's but hadn't heard about a Tram. Tell me more! I love public transportation!

Also, what is traffic like in Athens? Should that be a concern?

I can't help you with info on the tram, but traffic in Athens is BAD. I would recommend using the metro (whether you walk to it or take a taxi is up to you) into Athens and then either walk or use public transportation. Most sites (except the National Archaeological Museum) are within walking distance of the Acropolis.

Archived