Booked Alaska NOW need help with Air!!!

I got a good deal on the cruise but the airfare from the east to vancouvour is way too high. I can get to seattle and either drive or get a bus BUT if the flights leaving seattle are at 11:00am can I get from vancouvour and back to seattle in time to make the flights????

any body have the experience in this area would be a big help

We were told not to book a flight before 2:00p.m. Our flight was to be about 2:45 and was changed to 2:05 by the airline. RC had us off of the ship and on a bus at 8:30a.m. for the return trip. Unfortunately the bus was slow leaving. We arrived at the airport at approximately 12:45, but we made our flight. I was told that RC would have been responsible had we missed our flight due to the bus leaving the port late. Hope this helps.

When we disembarked on the Summit in Vancouver the lugage was slow coming out and was told it happens frequently.......no way will you make a 11 am flight with customs at the border, etc...........mybe the best thing is to stay overnight in Seattle and leave early the next day

I've seen people miss 12 PM filghts in Vancouver. There is no way I'd book a flight out of Seattle other than a late afternoon or evening flight. It might be worth it to use Priceline and extend the vacation a day if that's possible.

We have decided to fly into Seattle because of the huge savings...over $200 pp for four. For our return, we decided to rent a car in Vancouver and drive back to Seattle. We decided to spend the night in Seattle and return the following day. You can get a hotel near the airport through Priceline for around $35.

For our arrival, we have also decided to fly in the evening before. The next morning we are taking 7:45 am Amtrak to Vancouver. We arrive in Vancouver around 11:30.

We did the Alaska cruise 3 years ago and flew into Seattle from Baltimore ($200 pp) 2 days early. We stayed overnight in Seattle (4 in a room) and took the Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver the next morning and stayed in Vancouver (4-2 were kids to a room). We had a great time and even with the train, food, and hotel, we still have several hundred dollars because the flight from Balto to Vancouver was going to be $450 per person at the least. The Amtrak train ride is absolutely wonderful and relaxing and the scenery is beautiful. I would do this again the next time I take an Alaska cruise. We took the bus back from Vancouver to Seattle following the cruise and didn't like the bus at all.

We're doing a 12 day landtour/cruise with Celebrity in June. Since we are starting and ending in different cities I decided to let Celebrity handle the air. Haven't gotten any info on flights yet, but have asked for a post-cruise stay in Vancouver for the day we debark the ship. My favorite search engine for finding air transportation is ITASOFTWEAR.COM, that's the same search engine that Orbitz uses. You can't book through it but it's great for finding flights and prices, then book direct with the airline.

Stretch

jwlane

We could only go on what we were told....thank goodness we did not have to find out. :o We booked our own air, but they "said" since we were told not to book any flight before 2:00pm (if using their transfers) that it was "their" responsibility to get us there in time for the flight. Again, don't know for sure and glad we didn't have to find out.

To add to what has already been said about possibly staying in Seattle...

Seattle is a great place to visit if you've never been there. Lots of people enjoy the waterfront and Pike's Place Market. Lunch at the Space Needle is my favorite (dinner = more $$$$). If you take the elevator to the observation deck alone you pay a whopping $13 for the elevator ride! BUT, the ride is "free" if you eat a meal in the rotating restaurant at the top. Sure, a hamburger is $23... but you get the experience and the 360 degree view. Besides, the hamburger is really only $10 (since the ride up would have cost you $13 anyway). Of course, they have other, fancier, entrees for about the same price. I recommend using their valet parking and save yourself from having to find a place to park. I think that they discount the valet fare if you get your stub validated at the restaurant too.

skyauction.com or priceline.com are good options for a hotel, whether near downtown or by the airport. (The airport is 15 miles SOUTH of downtown Seattle).

You might consider going to Boeing's Museum of Flight located between the airport and downtown Seattle. The cost is only $12 for adults and they currently have an Airforce One on display and one of the Concordes. You can actually walk inside them.

By the way, the driving time in a car from Vancouver, BC to the Seattle airport is likely 3 hours at a minimum. You should really factor 4 - 5 hours because of traffic and possibly delays at the Canadian border.

• 1 month later...
Immn, we are also interested in flying to Seattle instead of Vancouver. Do you know how far away the car rental is from the pier and the name of the car rental company?

Thanks.

Avis has a downtown location that provides van service to and from Ballentyne.

mrtravel123......Thanks for the info you provided on things to do in Seattle. We are flying into Seattle and will spend the night there before driving to Vancouver. The Boeing Museum sounds like something that would interest us. Can you tell me more about that? Do you have to book a tour ahead of time or can you just show up? If you have to book ahead...how can I do that?

Thanks for your help.

jwlane

We could only go on what we were told....thank goodness we did not have to find out. :o We booked our own air, but they "said" since we were told not to book any flight before 2:00pm (if using their transfers) that it was "their" responsibility to get us there in time for the flight. Again, don't know for sure and glad we didn't have to find out.

I think all RCI really means when they say it's "their responsibility" is that they will give it their best, good faith, effort.

Immn, we are also interested in flying to Seattle instead of Vancouver. Do you know how far away the car rental is from the pier and the name of the car rental company?

Thanks.

We rented through Hertz (1128 Seymour). It is about 3 miles from Ballantyne pier. We are renting one way Vancouver to Seattle. We were told to take a taxi, get a receipt and we would be reimbursed up to $15.

Archived