Labadee and wood-roaches

CeeAngel

I read somewhere, and now can't find the article, about someone who had bought and carried home a wooden statue from one of the venders in Labadee. Supposedly, after a short time at home, they found out they had carried back wood-roaches. They were saying that they since found out these little creatures were quite common in wooden objects from Haiti. Evidently they burrow into the wood. Has anyone else even heard of this, or have I imagined it all?

You can always put your wooden purchase in a large (sealed) plastic bag for a while, and should there be any "critters", they'll die!

I wouldn't worry too much about it!

I worry more about boxes that you might pick up in stores--they have cockroaches---much worse than a wood roach!

You can always put your wooden purchase in a large (sealed) plastic bag for a while, and should there be any "critters", they'll die!

I wouldn't worry too much about it!

I worry more about boxes that you might pick up in stores--they have cockroaches---much worse than a wood roach!

Very bad advice. Considering customs was pulling everyone out of line who had purchased anything wooden in Labadee when we got off the Mariner last year, it seems like it is something to worry about.

To the OP, customs was taking people with wooden purchases to a seperate room to examine their purchases. There was some kind of an infestation and they said they were checking everything. We didn't have anything to be checked so I do not know how long people were detained.

Very bad advice. Considering customs was pulling everyone out of line who had purchased anything wooden in Labadee when we got off the Mariner last year, it seems like it is something to worry about.

To the OP, customs was taking people with wooden purchases to a seperate room to examine their purchases. There was some kind of an infestation and they said they were checking everything. We didn't have anything to be checked so I do not know how long people were detained.

Perhaps this was what the article, that I read, was referencing. We will be going there in 2010, and this will probably deter me from buying wooden crafts. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived