Balcony snob in an inside cabin?

gargoyle999

Tiggerman101 - I finally brokedown and had a 1A cabin on the Carnival Victory in June. With 6 different ports it didn't make sense to pay more for a balcony. I was surprised by how much I loved it. The bunk bed was recessed into the ceiling and, even though I had a single size bed, the cabin actually felt more spacious in floor space. If I book an inside cabin I would not have any problem booking a 1A cabin in the future.

I. Have any other balcony lovers booked an inside cabin and survived? :)

Yes :)

On a short cruise, on the older ships that don't have balconies (only suites) and when we squeezed in a couple last minute short cruises, we have gone inside and for a short cruise, it was no problem. :)

What? Not have at least an aft balcony? Oh, my God!:eek:

If you don't book a balcony....why not an OV? I would not be able to stay in an inside....not a snob...but I have to be able to see outside....

We usually book a balcony, but started our cruise experiences with inside staterooms. They were fine back then as we spent most of our time out and about on the ship. For our upcoming cruise, we booked an inside looking for a quick escape at a great value. But the more we thought about how we enjoy the cruise, the more we wanted our balcony. So we upgraded to a mini-suite, almost doubled our fare, but we know the experience will be what we most enjoy.

Since the OPs cruise is a back-to-back and options are limited for this segment, I think I'd try to make the best of the current arrangement. But I'd plan on this cruise to be about socializing and doing things outside of the stateroom.

My DH and I have always had a balcony and I do enjoy them. This summer we're taking our 2 teenagers and are having to really watch the $$$$, so I've booked us in 2 inside rooms. For me, it depends on what I'm wanting out of the cruise. On a romantic, relaxed couples cruise I think a balcony would be the way to go, and in my mind is very different from an action packed family cruise, where I don't expect to be in the room all that much. The money saved on our cabin will be going to some really memorable excursions for us. So for me it really depends on the nature of the cruise.

What am I doing on this thread:confused:

We had a balcony on our first cruise, and every time we went out there we could hear laughter and music from the lido deck above. It was like being in "time out". We live on the deck and drop by the room when we are dirty or exhausted.;)

I enjoyed the balcony on the Sensation, so much so that we booked a balcony for the Legend. However, I think the next cruise I am going to save $$$ and try and get an inside, but with a porthole. Good luck, and hope you are not claustrophobic?

I think the next cruise I am going to save $$$ and try and get an inside, but with a porthole. Good luck, and hope you are not claustrophobic?

Not claustrophobic as far as I know! :) There are a lot of the 4A with portholes on the Imagination it looks like. Maybe that could be the compromise with DW to get her a little bit of light!

It will be interesting. We are not really into hanging out by the pool so I'm not sure where we will go! ha ha...

Until our last cruise I had only done balconies and 1 OV cabin. When we decided to join our friend's on the Liberty money was very tight (we hadn't planned on cruising that year at all) so we got an inside cabin. I didn't mind the fact that it didn't have a balcony or window. What did bother me was the size. By the end of the 6 night cruise I was ready to get out of that cabin. If it had been bigger it would have been fine. I would do and inside cabin as a solo in a heartbeat. I liked that it stayed dark in the morning so we could sleep later. We just made sure we had wake up calls if we needed to get up. I still prefer balconies but I would do and inside again if it meant the difference between cruising or not cruising.

How much different is the $$$ for OV from the inside? We have always booked OV because of a little sea sickness. (Our Goal: to book a balcony and be a snob too.) Traveled with friends that had an inside that got very ill. Ship crew told us to get them out of the cabin so they could see the skyline. (It helped) They spent a lot of time in ours; glad we had OV. If your DW likes the light I would maybe try OV. It's not the balcony you both enjoy, but it is only 4 days.:rolleyes: Once the lights go out inside, it is DARK day or night.:( Good Luck & Happy Cruisin.....

As the Imagination doesn't have non-suite balcony cabins I am thinking I would book a 4A in order to save money and just experience it. I've had a balcony on each of my cruises so far.

I'm a "balcony snob" :D and being on the balcony is my favorite part of a cruise. Have any other balcony lovers booked an inside cabin and survived? :)

Alternatives:

1. Take the inside, cheapest one you can get, and go knowing that you're doing it just to be on the cruise and not for the cabin. I would have reservations about doing that, but, you'd just spend most of your time out of the cabin and only sleep/shower there.

2. Skip the 4 day Imagination - use the 4 days for something else.

Howard

I've had balcony rooms and inside rooms. It really doesn't matter. I can see where someone from a square state, who was not used to seeing waves, might get something out of a balcony cabin....(ooh...there's another wave....and another one....whoohooo).

But you have to take the good with the bad with a balcony...nice views...but the chance of having a smoker next door, or loud people (or both).

You are so right on that one, we had both on our last cruise, on both sides.

We are also thinking of booking an inside for a short get away in January. We have plans to go on a four day to Mexico. I can not remember what Carnival ship sails out of Galveston but I think we may have to book a suite as the balcony's are far and few between. We really love the balcony's, but since we are saving money on the fact that we do not have to fly to our port in Galveston we can save more money on an inside.

We are cruising in Dec. (WITHOUT OUR CHILDREN!!) :D and I can't believe how excited I am to have an inside room - LOL! We haven't slept in in 7 yrs and I am so looking forward to a dark room without 2 little girls waking us up before dawn. My husband and I have been talking more about sleeping in than the ports! LOL My PVP actually tried to bump us up to a OV and I said no... She just laughed at me because I want the darkness.

So when we cruise next year with the kids we'll go back to a balcony. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I get to cruise! ;)

We've done both, along with OV. One big difference we found last Dec was that when we had the inside cabin on the Destiny we were much more active. Out and about on the ship exploring, joining activities etc. The following week on the Splendor we had a balcony cabin, and barely saw anything of the ship, left the cabin for meals and ports, that was about it.

Alternatives:

1. Take the inside, cheapest one you can get, and go knowing that you're doing it just to be on the cruise and not for the cabin. I would have reservations about doing that, but, you'd just spend most of your time out of the cabin and only sleep/shower there.

2. Skip the 4 day Imagination - use the 4 days for something else.

I'm choosing number 1! :) I'm really only doing this in order to get DW to 10 Carnival cruises faster! She is two ahead of me.

Since we live in MN it's not like we can just take a short drive to the port and hop on. Figure if we have to fly out there anyway, try and squeeze in a short cruise as cheap as I can go get the "credit" for it. This will only get DW to 8 so we'll have to do this again for the next round! :D

We've done both, along with OV. One big difference we found last Dec was that when we had the inside cabin on the Destiny we were much more active. Out and about on the ship exploring, joining activities etc. The following week on the Splendor we had a balcony cabin, and barely saw anything of the ship, left the cabin for meals and ports, that was about it.

Interesting comment. I always think I'd like to go to the Piano Bar or some of the other lounges, find more live music since I love live music, etc. But always end up spending most of my time on the balcony leaving for meals and ports just like you said.

DW gets motion sickness so maybe the window would be better for her. I don't have a problem so don't really need one. It's $80 more for OV so not a deal breaker to get one. $680 more to go to a suite with a balcony so not worth it for 4 days (and obstructed view as well!). I let DW decide inside or OV.

And maybe if I have a great time hanging out in other areas of the ship besides a balcony I'll become an inside/OV snob! :p

We like the inside cabins. You can sleep really late and it stays nice and dark all the time.

Balconies are nice, but so is saving money!

If it meant more cruises, I wouldn't hesitate to book an interior. When we sail, our teens are always in an interior and they love it. It's dark during the day and they like to take a late afternoon nap. On our last cruise (RC Mariner) I had a chance to upgrade them to a Promenade room for a great price and they didn't want to give up the darkness!

I think it comes down to who you are travelling with. When single cruising with a gang of guys I do not see the value in a balcony. I've only done up to outside cat 8s in Carnival with a significant other and more often than not just book inside 4a, sometimes even 1a on occasion when travelling in groups.

The darkness is nice if you are a night owl and shut down when the ship slows down at 2-4am, which is usually the case with our groups if all goes well. Not much interests me even at port at 9am, just as not much interests me at home at 9am either, ha. ZZZ

Then again I sleep on a go fast boat around the great lakes on the weekends up here, talk about tight sleeping. 2 opposing couches with a 'V-berth' bed up front with maybe 2 feet of headroom!

To each his own, I'd love to drop it all and book a Garden Villa on NCL just 1 time and see if it was worth the expense, 5000sq ft or so I think, nice. But working it out one 7 day cruise in that Villa would equate to somewhere around 10 or 12 7 day cruises on an inside cabin, ouch.

I'm a balcony snob too. My sister talked me into doing on inside cabin with her on the Inspiration for 4 days. I survived it, but don't want to ever do it again.

We also only went to the cabin to sleep, clean up and change cloths. Didn't spend anytime in there at all. Which I actually missed. I liked the down time we have with a balcony. The middle of the nab or just reading a book on quite of the balcony.

But I have to say, if she buys for my airfare again I would split the cost of an inside for the little get away. We throughly had a great time.

You'll survive and have a great time enjoying the ship.

Every time (2) we've had a balcony and this next time will be in an inside. I've had issues with the neighbors constantly smoking on their balconies and smell the smoke every time I go out to enjoy my balcony.

That's one reason I don't think I'll miss it this next time but I'll have to let you know. It's just a short walk to the decks for fresh air and looking at the waves and feeling that ocean air on my cheeks.

Jennifer

I'm a "balcony snob" :D and being on the balcony is my favorite part of a cruise. Have any other balcony lovers booked an inside cabin and survived? :)

I was on the Bloggers cruise on the Fantasy back in February, and we had a cabin with just a window. While i had a fun time on this cruise, and I enjoyed meeting and rooming with my friend Ruth, I MISSED THAT BALCONY!!:( I spent more than a few times, sitting in that window, longing for a balcony!:rolleyes:

I have always had a balcony, but I am thinking of booking my next cruise inside. If you can book a room near the wrap around at the front of the ship you basically have a free balcony. On my last cruise on the Valor in March 09 I spent as much time out front on the bench as I did on my balcony, so why pay the extra? There was never anyone else out there and yes it was windy, but very nice. People dont venture out there as it is at the end of the rooms and the doors are normally closed. Go have a visit on your next cruise.

We like the inside cabins. You can sleep really late and it stays nice and dark all the time.

Balconies are nice, but so is saving money!

plus they stay nice and cool, DH and I were able to take a nap every day after our shore excursions, and be rested and ready for nightlife.

Edeno

Archived