Balcony snob in an inside cabin?

gargoyle999

My husband put it to me this way. If you start in an interior cabin then book another you'll be happy...then one day you'll upgrade to an oceanview and the interior will become an option for when you're desperate to save a few bucks but it just won't be "good enough" anymore...THEN the day will come where you'll book a "balcony" you're going to have a tough time going back to an interior after that.

We had the ocean view and my friends had a balcony. We spent a lot of time on the balcony and I loved it but I kinda liked being close to the ocean too. They were really both about the same size.

I don't think I'd be really comfortable in an interior after having ocean view. I found I get really "ancy" if I'm in the room...and the shades are "closed" and I'm not sleeping.

We are cruising in Dec. (WITHOUT OUR CHILDREN!!) :D and I can't believe how excited I am to have an inside room - LOL! We haven't slept in in 7 yrs and I am so looking forward to a dark room without 2 little girls waking us up before dawn. My husband and I have been talking more about sleeping in than the ports! LOL My PVP actually tried to bump us up to a OV and I said no... She just laughed at me because I want the darkness.

So when we cruise next year with the kids we'll go back to a balcony. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I get to cruise! ;)

We got bumped up from inside guarantee to M-3 [OV w/dual portholes] on Fantasy. The portholes have hard covers that you can close when you want darkness.

I didn't mind the inside room. However I found that I was exhausted the entire week. Normally on a cruise, I bound out of bed, excited for the day. That week, I had a hard time getting up, I was tired all day... could have just been that I had had a really busy few months leading up to it... but I think it was because there was no natural light in the room, so I woke up in total darkness, it felt like the middle of the night.

But if it's the difference of affording a cruise and not affording one, I'll take an inside again, and just spend as little time as possible in there.

My DH and I have always had a balcony and I do enjoy them. This summer we're taking our 2 teenagers and are having to really watch the $$$$, so I've booked us in 2 inside rooms. For me, it depends on what I'm wanting out of the cruise. On a romantic, relaxed couples cruise I think a balcony would be the way to go, and in my mind is very different from an action packed family cruise, where I don't expect to be in the room all that much. The money saved on our cabin will be going to some really memorable excursions for us. So for me it really depends on the nature of the cruise.

I agree with this approach. We had 4 in an Inside on our 7 day Destiny cruise. We were at a different island every day so the cabin was used very little. Kids were a bit younger then so it worked out. Last year on the Miracle, we were 4 in a Balcony. Liked that very much on sea days. This year, DW and I in an Ocean View with kids directly across the hall in Inside. Extra shower will be nice before dinner.

Would I go Inside again with just DW and me, sure. It all depends on the price. A Balcony is worth something extra, the question is how much. YMMV.

We've never booked a balcony but we always try to book an ocean view room. However, our April 2010 Victory cruise in a 7-day, port intensive itinerary, so we opted to book an inside cabin for this cruise because we feel we won't be in our cabin all that much. However, if the prices on this cruise start to drop enough, we may upgrade to an ocean view.

Archived